• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Red River cereal

Reaction score
Won some. Its going on a canoe trip.. The box is very heavy. Enough servings for two for a good 11 days.
Now any tips for cooking? It calls for 12 minutes cooking but I would really like to lower that.
Does presoaking help?

How do you clean up the kitchen floor.. I dropped just a little bit but what a mess..eeny ball bearings everywhere.

I love the stuff. 12 minutes sounds like a long time. Cook it the same way you do steel cut oats. 3:1 ratio, or is it 4:1 but bring to a boil with a bit of salt and then let is sit for a while. The longer the better but not so long as it gets cold. Add a bit of brown sugar, or honey or raisins or nothing. It really is a flavour to taste sort of thing.

Sig Olson always had it on his trips, as a follower of his, so do I. Hard to find up here, so I always stock up, when I find some on trips to Northern Minnesota. I think I will cook up a pot of it in the morning, will try to remember to report back on the cooking time.

Try soaking overnight then a quick warm up before use. Save on fuel and time. I do this with steel cut oats and it works just fine.
Thanks . That was what I was looking for. Over 10 days I hate to spend 2 hours just cooking oatmeal. We will be camped where there is little firewood.. Just huge driftwood logs. So we rely on a stove that burns gas

love this stuff! tho for solos i bring instant oats -- as mentioned, the overnight soak is the trick...and brown sugar

I made some for breakfast today, all of twelve minutes or more in cooking time. I never noticed before how long it took before, I will soak some over night, tonight to see how that works. Tasted great with some Milkman dried milk, raisins and brown sugar. Would have been better cooked over a fire, with a blackened pot of strong black coffee, foggy lake or river, and a nice log to sit on, close to that fire.

Maple syrup packed.
No fire. We have to move out fast in the mornings
Lake Superior can rage befor 12 so we plan on making camp by then. On the water by 7 am

Don't cook it. Don't pre-soak it. Don't even mix it with other stuff. Just feed it directly to the birds.

My wife has fond childhood memories of watching her dad eat Red River cereal every morning. (He also drank a small glass of cider vinegar, took a tablespoon of cod liver oil, and enjoyed Camp Coffee, sooo....) She introduced me to it. I was rude to both her and it when I called it birdseed. Funny enough, she won't eat it either. Just likes the memories. I'm sure it's packed full of healthy goodness, perhaps much better than my own bland favourites of Cream of Wheat, corn meal, or steel cut oats. RR Cereal mind be an acquired taste I haven't acquired yet.
"...better cooked over a fire, with a blackened pot of strong black coffee, foggy lake or river, and a nice log to sit on, close to that fire."
That's probably the secret right there.

Last edited:
Another uncooked overnight steel cut oats recipe.

geez.. guys stop.. I am all packed and now you bring up coconut.. Which for some strange reason I have too much of in the pantry.. Now to jam some of that in.. there is always room for another zip loc right?

I finally cooked the Red River Cereal I set out two nights ago, the second day and night, I had it in the refrigerator. Brought it to a boil, then simmered it for 5 minutes. It was good,but not much faster than not soaking. I threw the raisins in for the soak also, so I got more of that good raisin flavor.
Dead pig & unborn chicken makes for a better breakfast most days than bird seed, but RR cereal to me is better than oat meal, as it has more mouth feel. I'm saving oat meal for when I lose my teeth and in a nursing home, hope I don't nod off while eating it and drown in my bowl. I do like Cream of Wheat, with lots of butter melted into it on cold winter mornings. I once had Cream of Rice which was pretty good too. For those who like pancakes for breakfast there is a good recipe using Oat flour on Canadian Canoe Routes at:

http://www.myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44677

I never heard of this cereal so I Googled it.

There are lots of Amazon reviews that say Smucker's changed the contents somehow and that it's different from the old days. They say it tastes different, takes much longer to cook and that a sort of slime or sludge forms, which didn't used to happen. Some attribute this to more oat content, more flax content or the steel cut methodology. In other words, no one knows why it's different, but many say it is.

Personally, I've eliminated virtually all grains from my diet whether at home or in the woods, and am strongly in favor of proteins, animal fats and very low glycemic index vegetables.

Review.. It indeed is birdseed but blended with one oatmeal packet for two is very very good. Coconut and maple syrup is a hit. So is added blueberries. It does not take forever to cook but one serving is ALOT of volume. You will be fibered up.

Back