• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Rebuilding older fiberglass canoe

Reaction score
Rebuilding an old fiberglass canoe. The canoe had been used pretty hard and had hull damage (the fiberglass repair went well). In the areas of the hull damage, the gunnels were significantly bent. I found some nice vinyl replacement gunnels and they seem to have installed nicely. This leaves me with seats, decks, thwarts, and handles to figure out.

Thwarts/Handles:
Granted, the Ash would look nice; but, I am wanting something more durable for the thwarts and handles. Any idea if there is an aluminum alternative?

Decks:
Considering that I have no idea who made this canoe I have no idea who to order replacement decks from (not to mention the canoe is from the '80s). Any ideas on what I could use for decks? I guess if I go with Ash handles and thwarts then ash decks could be fitted and look nice.

Seats:
This is the one that throws me most. Looking for advice. Part of me likes the newer plastic seats (love the low maintenance). Part of me wants solid wood to allow me to affix a more comfortable padded rotating boat seat when needed (plan on using this for fishing mainly).

Decks are actually a PITA ( they trap water) and are mainly for looks.
Seats do not have to be plastic or wood

You better get your ash fast. Once the Emerald Ash Borer gets ahold of the ash trees in Maine the price will go sky high. Ash is a canoe wood because it is durable. Otherwise Maine Guides would never build their paddles out of it nor their pack baskets. Aluminum is usually the cheapest flimsiest material for gunwales and thwarts now cause its not the old time stuff that was thick.
Look at Ed's Canoe site for seat possibilities. Though if you want to do a swivel maybe a solid plank from your nearest mill is the best. ( we often get rough sawn lumber from one of two mills nearby) That way you could mount a swivel fishing chair on top.

Does the canoe have a serial number?

If it did, it doesn't now. I would assume it was on the gunnels. Those are long gone... I believe the previous owner thought it was a Bee Craft canoe. And, I seem to recall some plastic badges that confirmed that (those have been gone for a decade now).

you could use two aluminum bars for seats...but I like YC's idea of a plank to mount your swivel on. Get some spruce.

you could use two aluminum bars for seats...but I like YC's idea of a plank to mount your swivel on. Get some spruce.

I like the plank idea as well; but, that gets me in the wood area (I am trying to avoid maintenance). Not to mention, how do I mount it? The previous owner drilled holes through the hull and used drywall screws to keep a 2x8 as a seat. I patched the holes...and clearly don

I found some nice vinyl replacement gunnels and they seem to have installed nicely. This leaves me with seats, decks, thwarts, and handles to figure out.

I am a fan of vinyl replacement gunwales, for ease of installation and maintenance. I am also a fan of vinyl/plastic deck plates, but those need to match the outwale profile of the gunwale, and also the ^ taper of the stems.

Plastic deck plates need to be slipped on the gunwales before the last few pop rivets have been installed on each side, and the vinyl gunwales typically end a couple inches short of the tip of the stems. Those deck plates have a molded channel that accommodates the outwale, and usually a little bump where the gunwales end a few inches short of the stems.

If you find plastic deck plates that match the vinyl gunwale profile just drill out a couple pop rivets on each side (if already fully pop riveted in place), pull the ends of the gunwales up, slide the gunwales into that deck plate channel (a rubber mallet helps) and re-pop rivet the ends of the gunwales and deck plates in place.

Thwarts/Handles:
Granted, the Ash would look nice; but, I am wanting something more durable for the thwarts and handles. Any idea if there is an aluminum alternative?

Decks:
Considering that I have no idea who made this canoe I have no idea who to order replacement decks from (not to mention the canoe is from the '80s). Any ideas on what I could use for decks? I guess if I go with Ash handles and thwarts then ash decks could be fitted and look nice.

Seats:
This is the one that throws me most. Looking for advice. Part of me likes the newer plastic seats (love the low maintenance). Part of me wants solid wood to allow me to affix a more comfortable padded rotating boat seat when needed (plan on using this for fishing mainly).

I would just order new carry handles, thwarts, yoke and wood frame seats, maybe even the machine screw hardware, from Eds Canoe. I can not DIY those brightwork parts as well or as inexpensively as Eds.

http://www.edscanoe.com/

The deck if vinyl/plastic, need to have an outwale channel that matches the profile of the gunwales, and a taper that matches the stems of the canoe. Whoever manufactured the vinyl gunwales may have matching deck plates (which are pricey for a piece of molded plastic).

Does the canoe have a serial number?
If it did, it doesn't now. I would assume it was on the gunnels. Those are long gone... I believe the previous owner thought it was a Bee Craft canoe. And, I seem to recall some plastic badges that confirmed that (those have been gone for a decade now).

A serial number (Hull Identification Number, or HIN) is usually placed on the right hand side of the canoe, below the outwale. It may be a plate, which could have fallen off, or simply be etched in the hull, which could have worn away to illegibility.

Back