• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

2021 Post-Migration Fundraiser is On: Please Contribute!

Times sure have changed. So I guess all this blab to say I'm now going old school and cutting an old fashioned cheque in foreign (to you) funds. Even your small town bank can figure that out. That's why they make the big bucks. That hasn't changed.
Good luck with the fund drive Glenn. Hope it goes well.
You can’t take anything for granted, Odyssey. I have a US dollar account with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, which I opened to send money to my kids in Denver and Portland. Sometimes their bank wouldn’t honour it because it was a foreign bank, even though the cheque clearly said US Funds.

I have received 39 donations to date . . . from a site that has 1,291 registered members and an unknown number of lurking readers.

My goal now is not a financial one, but simply to match the previous fund raiser's total of 55 contributors. So, 16 to go, folks, and we'll be set for at least 18 months.

Every contribution so far has been reasonable, four being unexpectedly generous. Every contributor has been thanked privately. I also got special satisfaction by contributions from two grateful lurkers who for some reason have never registered, and from a six-year registered member in Switzerland who reads regularly but has never posted because of his lack of confidence in writing English.

16 to go. Please. Thank you.

On our previous web hosting site, there was a metric that indicated we had approximately 150 “Active Members,” if I remember correctly. It would be nice to think that all active members would be happy to make a donation. If so, Glenn’s goal of 55 contributors is well within reach!

You can’t take anything for granted, Odyssey. I have a US dollar account with the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, which I opened to send money to my kids in Denver and Portland. Sometimes their bank wouldn’t honour it because it was a foreign bank, even though the cheque clearly said US Funds.
I agree. Our local bank is TD Bank.. It's the US subsidiary of....Toronto Dominion known to you up there as Canada Trust. The logo is the same. I tried to get some loonies and twoonies at it. " we don't deal in foreign cash". Now in Canada the nice thing is that my TD card allows me fee free ATM withdrawls.

well.. I have nevrer really tripped , but I have paddled with one of the of the most prolific guy's here in the this forunm Hope this helps Canube

I recommend making out checks for some odd amount. I added two cents to mine

Thanks for your two cents, but both I and my wife puzzled over your handwriting as to whether that hieroglyphic was a 02 or a 00. I just deposited it as a 00, so you got your two cents in but are getting it back.

11 more donations needed to reach the fund raiser goal of 55 contributors!

What follows is what I wrote for Robin's fund raiser five years ago in an attempt to explain why, historically, this site has always "rallied together" with member contributions to cover costs. Some of it is tough to read.
"This reminds me of another reason to continue with member financing: Member donations are a community effort that reflect and remind us of the heroic community effort, born of tragedy, that created this second version of CanoeTripping.net.

"I'll recite briefly that tragic history for new members who may be unaware of it. The first version of this site was solely created, owned and financially maintained by Willis Brown -- a member, like many of us, of another beloved site, solotripping.com, which gradually went defunct. This site was moderately successful for its first couple of years, populated mainly by refugees from solotripping.com.

"On December 7, 2012, at 6:34 a.m., Willis posted a thread entitled "I am Sorry Good by". The content of the post was simply a link to his local town newspaper, the Daily Star, where he knew a shocking article would be appearing soon. Within minutes, Willis shot his wife to death and then committed suicide. The police were called at 6:45.

"Members of this community responded to that thread with shock, grief, and questions about whether and how the site could be kept alive. Members posted ideas and communicated privately. We exchanged email addresses in order to contact each other in case the site went dark. Members collected information about how to operate a website. There were legal questions about how to transfer ownership of the site from Willis's estate. Contacts were made with his family. I communicated with the police and the Daily Star reporters. Many members offered to contribute money to keep the site alive. Finally, Robin stepped forward to take over the site administration, figured out how to transfer the ownership, and began a slow process of learning how to maintain, update and otherwise administer a website.

"All during this time of tragedy, chaos and site rebirth, CanoeTripping.net has been a community effort. This reborn site, the second version, has always been supported by member donations.

"Maybe it sounds sappy, but retaining the practice of community financial support serves as a continuing reminder to me of the very special circumstances, and the very special community, out of which we were created here."

Self-sufficiency. No ads. No selling of member lists or email lists. Our own private wilderness, which has just undergone the biggest upheaval since 2012.

11 to go!

Would it help to put this info into some of the more popular threads on the chance that some people are only checking out those threads even though it may be "highjacking" albiet for a good cause?

Would it help to put this info into some of the more popular threads on the chance that some people are only checking out those threads even though it may be "highjacking" albiet for a good cause?

I would think it unnecessary at least at this point as I will be very surprised if the members of this site do not come through. Even if we don't reach the goal of 55 and / or we fall short of the required operating funds, I would suggest an additional "request for funds" thread instead of hijacking threads with random panhandling. (just my 2 cents... return it if you wish)

I have received donations from 45 contributors as of today.

10 more needed to reach the fund raising goal of 55 contributors.

Thank you.

Back