• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Portaging using paddles vs yokes

Reaction score
Last time out I decided to use a dedicated yoke for carrying the Argosy on my back while portaging. Usually I use the old "strapped in paddles method" as shown in the accompanying photo but this time I did not want to appear to "traditionalist" to my friend from Connecticut who is a WC/Duluth type guy. I quickly found out I made a mistake. With the "dedicated" yoke the canoe has to travel much higher over the shoulders to set the yoke in place so the delts get quite involved. With the "paddles" method the canoe lift to get the paddles on the shoulders does not involve using the shoulder muscles as the canoe does not have to go as high. However my main disappointment in the "dedicated" yoke was in rainy conditions as the yoke clamps, no matter how tight I put them, kept on slipping out of position on the wet gunnels and the yoke would not stay set in the mid point position.

Interested in how other set up for portaging their solo boats.

Forgot to mention that the paddles are cared for in the "paddles" method and are helpful rather than being extra gear to carry.
paddleyoke.jpg

Last edited:
Gerald,
Is that lacrosse stick tape on your paddle shafts? How effective is it at minimizing the noise of the shaft hitting the gunwale? Thanks!

Tony

I've never used the paddle method or seen it used by anyone else in person. But if it works for you, why not keep on with it, especially if it works better for you than a yoke.

I've always used a clamp-on yoke. I've never had a problem with slippage, but all my gunwales are wooden and none vinyl, which may be slipperier. I use carbon and bent shaft paddles, and would never attempt the paddle method with either.

I really don't understand the muscle movement distinction you are making. On some of my canoes for short distances, I've swung them up without a yoke and carried on the front edge of the center seat. I didn't think the raising movement was particularly different from when I use a yoke, although it is probably more dangerous if I miss my shoulder and plop it on my neck.

Your method doesn't take any more time than the clamp-on yoke method, and may even be a little quicker, since I have to adjust not only the yoke but may have to fix my paddles too. One difference is that when I'm double or triple portaging, I use my paddle as a walking stick for stability when carrying the packs. You can't do that.

Of course, you can use your portage pads on your knees when kneeling in poison ivy -- one of my favorite tricks.

Bungi cords and zip ties... now why didn't I think of that!?! Genius Gerald. thanks.

Being lazy and cheap, I have only used a portage yoke once, with a Rapidfire rental... and yeah, it sits way higher and creates some strain on some muscle in the arms with me...

I often use my painters to tie the paddles in, but one of my uncles canoes (OT 50#-er) had a dedicated shoelace on one thwart, and I think he just tucked the other ends under the other thwart... it's a challenge to get it up on your shoulders un-tied, but doable with practice (I nearly choked myself, and haven't tried but that one time.) I have also experimented with using shorter bungies to tie the grip end of the paddles, and some cow hitches for the blades... they're kinda slidey, and again, I almost choked myself.

I really like the bungies and zip ties...

edit: Gerald, I just realized... your padding is a couple sports knee pads, isn't it... too simple.

Years ago I carried a zillion pound 17' Grumman as a scout leader this way a lot and it was real comfortable. We simplified it by tying the paddles in with the painters and wearing a "keyhole" PFD for carrying, -no extra equipment.

Hi pataneap,

The tape is a high quality tape as used on the handlebars of racing bicycles. It's warm on the hands, soft to the touch, waterproof and best of all quiet for silent travelling in still conditions.

Hey Glenn,

When using the paddle method the paddles are fixed to the top of the seat which I have set about 4 inches below the top of the gunnels. My yoke sits about 1.5 inches above the top of the gunnels if the yoke clamp is included in the measurement. my yoke also has these awful protruding tightening knobs which stick out even more. Therefore I need 6 more inches of clearance to get the canoe on my shoulders when using the yoke vs the paddle method. That's 6 less inches of gravity to fight against to shoulder the 45 lbs Argosy with these 78 year old beat up shoulders. ;)

Seeker,

I used some racing bike tubes that had flatted while riding and instead of throwing them away I find all kinds of use for them. Yes they are volleyball knee pads. Very comfortable, easy to slip on but have to be modified if using narrow paddles or they will not be snug.
zzzz.jpg

xxxxxxxxx.jpg

Last edited:
I never liked the idea of "clamp on" yokes, not that they aren't workable, just that they just can be a bit fiddly.

I made one similar to this one, as a starting point:

http://www.paddlinglight.com/product/solo-canoe-yoke-plans-portaging/

I morphed the design to this, to drop some weight and personalize it a bit:

NBqJuscNF8npwY6JFz05qxilLMb_xBBuaQWeLEweIpaWIkGzv3h0r-pqFnymCHuhjSwbweOpAs0zj9xyo_EeudPhMPGWH45zLllOaCe56mRw4TaOLuBIYxgwOkauXFftbCEo4trIrmpE8qlcUdYM9k9AsbSZLi348onQS5UFnIcXV9q95PDthC5OATZvU2MHAQP_PpHvRe8S05Ivx82DBSoNqEepAXzyXtBszYwKcMtaJufCPv-TwJGGIeXsQb_vULn6abrSpu9pLaa5D2SYuNG4zrjfCCCZcfhgvsgPBjGbthw-Fa-v58XTEe4rSCm8XL9YcTqFqwWb-pL55m77Pa9A9QG3g2KcdqBydcF3HwmDKQ8gYjHXqxtxdKXuwQASicl-CKqw5ngwPahKV00sDzRchqUN7OGacNoDZw24pnx2hkhCg3FST8qaDdlWOcjueVFHRJCqiYSt-b-UlKNt8XO5kNNHFZ9C4jic8W1orZHV0m5PFYf0TSI6IBkRL42Q2fAt1X9uMKuaMDE0tVEaX6qTTj75dl_SlF8KJC6M9ysfxPIjqIrg5tGvLJuvnZOEvv9TnvN-gK3w6u7L_-ZNnz0hSuR4l9-60cZFS9i-9A=w1434-h1075-no

It has morphed again to replace those pads with a shortened carved yoke of EWC, which can be used since it is only for shape, i am also going to try one of the foam yokes on this base as well .... just playing with it, till it suits me.

Just a few thoughts, since you asked.

Brian

I love my clamp on yoke. It's comfy and I can see. I can portage no handed too
It does not slip on Cobra skin or wood gunwales
It slides on plastic covered gunwales. To limit sliding I placed layers of tape on each side of the clamp. However that was temporary. Much more permanent is a round headed bolt fire and aft. You'll need 4

I heartily dislike portaging with paddles. They limit the amount of side to side movement that makes for pressure point relief on long portages. I have 8 inch wide paddles. Worse one is a bent shaft.
I ranger my boat up. Never have been able to throw it up

I just put 2 aluminum pop-rivets through the aluminum gunnel on either side of where the camp-on yoke fits to stop any kind of slippage. Makes me put the yoke in exactly the same spot every time. Painted black, nobody even sees them.
For really shorts portages or to/from the truck, I use a 1.5" nylon strap that takes a few seconds to put together. A fair bit of bounce but beats balancing on the head.

I think that Gerald came up with strapping the paddle shaft idea after spending way too many days listening to me go clunk-clunk down the lake with aluminum gunnels. I eventually wound some cordage around the shaft but the use of bike handlebar tape seems like a better way to go. Gerald, how is the tape on absorbing water and loosening up? Just wondering as handlebar tape is designed to absorb sweat so it doesn't get slippery. Cork? Leather? Plastic?

Hi Shearwater,

Miss paddling with you. Hope we get a chance soon. It is the modern high end cork type formula. Does not absorb water, does not loosen up because it has some elasticity to it and is rolled on while slightly stretched. Also it is anti-slip because of it's texture.

I really do not know how much it would stand up to paddling styles that use the gunnels for leverage. Since I use a partial in water recovery stroke I do not hit the gunnels very often. It sure is warm and comfy on the hands.

Hope you are all well at home.

Gerald

For years I carried the old whitewater 17 foot grumman with paddles tied in. Much more comfortable than the straight bar thwart in those old beasts, but still not as comfortable as a good carrying yoke. If anyone has ever had the pleasure of doing a mile long port through loonshit and sink holes with a grumman over your head, you might be familiar with the particular injury that occurs when you hit a hole the wrong way and topple over. The paddles, having had some slippage and coming fairly close to the neck, make excellent torture devices as the canoe twists off your shoulders and the paddles attempt to cut your ears off. On one occasion, I had ears the size of Dumbo for a couple of days.

Fortunately, most of us on this site are past the age when looks really matter any more, but you don't want to lose a hearing aid in the muck either. Carry on my fellow paddle lashers!

I think I also have a fear of getting stuck when I fall and suffering a serious neck injury. In my dotage on the Wolf Lake loop in Temagami I slipped and fell and was able to throw the canoe off me before I got hurt. I use the CVCA pads not the Bourquin ones..
How realistic is it that fear of getting stuck..?

On a Temagami trip last week I did both. Or, well not exactly. I have a Teal yoke but I lashed my paddles in on either side just to carry them. I've used the paddle method before but only with cheapo canoe rentals, and that was thankfully long ago. If I had to do it again I'd wear my PFD for comfort.
Incidentally I dropped into The Temagami Canoe Company to have a look around that old shop (working since 1929) and talk to the master builder/owner John Kilbridge. We talked for ages and got around to yokes and such. He reached overhead to his "archive" in the rafters, where he stores old bits and pieces, some of them labelled with names and dates. He showed me a Teal yoke just like my own, and another bulkier hand carved one by a name I forget. The bigger one was double the thickness of material and more deeply sculpted. John explained that the big one had just the right contours for real comfort on carries. I asked that if he's so particular about restoring w/c canoes to original condition what does he do about folks wanting to replace an original thwart with a new fangled yoke? He replied he tries to talk them out of it. And if he can't he puts the thwart in anyway. Ha!! He showed me two thwarts, one Chestnut and the other Peterborough. The Chestnut was angular and no-nonsense. The Peterborough was smooth and graceful. "Now how could you even think about replacing?" He pulled out a tumpline and said the best way to portage these old canoes is by the traditional Temagami tump method. "The thwart isn't mean't to ride high on your shoulders, but lay like a pack high on your back. And you can shift the weight going uphill or down. Beautiful and efficient."
I'll stick with my padded yoke for now on my lightweight tandem. Or at least until I can lay my hands on a Temagami, Peterborough or Chestnut.

The paddles, having had some slippage and coming fairly close to the neck, make excellent torture devices as the canoe twists off your shoulders and the paddles attempt to cut your ears off. On one occasion, I had ears the size of Dumbo for a couple of days. ...most of us on this site are past the age when looks really matter any more...

Having survived a fall myself on the trail recently... now being forced to hear bad jokes.

---------------------------------------------

An old man walks into an ice cream parlour, groaning loudly and in obvious pain.

Nobody says a word, while he slowly and uncomfortably sits down on a chair and painfully wheezes out, "Maple... walnut."

The storeowner gets the ice cream, then asks, "Crushed nuts?"

The old man replies, "No... arthritis."

john's shop is always a great spot to pop-in and chat canoe...he let me borrow his 16" guide and take it across the street to the lake to play with after an all-day headwind in my chum -- i almost bought it on the spot -- that was 1993 or so :)

The key to comfort when using paddles for a yoke was the old fashioned, cheap, and other wise uncomfortable ugly orange keyhole PFD. We required at least one boy per canoe for the canoe carrier to wear when portaging. Currently, I carry my solo with the front of the seat on the humpback of my astrel v-8 pfd. I don't like taking equipment that serves only one purpose.

Back