• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Pooch's Post

Reaction score
I've been looking at where my 60# dog sits, and where he would best be placed in my new, shorter boat. I put him up front of the thwart alone, and with a single pack going into the wind. I've tried putting him behind me, with good results too, when trim dictates. Where does your pup ride? Anyone put him between their legs? I've thought of that, sure would help control him when passing caribou or a bear on the shore (as was the case last summer). When he gets too far forward and puts his paws on the gunwale things can get dicey if I don't shift my weight soon enough. I'd have to move my fishing gear but I don't fish much heading to or from camp. Might interfere with my double blade stroke, I think.

As I recall during his training phase, the between the legs position did cause issues with my double blade stroke unless he was laying down. Being a heeler, this ain't a normal waking position when stuffs going on.

Last edited:
Mine rides in the passenger seat, with the window rolled down. I really like my dog, but don't want one in a canoe. I once tripped with a team of eight sled dogs, they ran along the shore, they seemed to enjoy it, at one point they treed a mama black bear and her two babies. They also spent much of one night barking at a beaver that wanted to cut down a aspen near our camp. Portaging enough dog food for a team of huskies for a week kept me from ever doing that again.

The only time my dog gets to sit next to me is if we're running white water and I want weight out of the bow to keep waves from breaking over.

Otherwise she's up front ahead of the thwart. I want to see her at all times so that I can see how she's reacting to a situation and so that I can anticipate her changing position before she's done it. I've paddled bow with a dog in the middle of a tandem and reacting to a dog's movements after they've already been made it is much more difficult than seeing it real time in front of you.

I don't know how this works in your particular canoe. I know that for me on long distance trips I need at least a 16' canoe to allow enough room for my dog since I have one pack in front of the thwart with her.

Alan

Well, that's always been my reasoning, but I have tried him behind me, with a leash going to his pfd under my seat. If he's behind me, I'll see what he's going to see first. If he acts up behind me, I can reel him in close so he behaves. I don't know if it will work in the new boat, but in my prism, I can put a pack in back with the boy. He's a good puppy.

Well, that's always been my reasoning, but I have tried him behind me, with a leash going to his pfd under my seat. If he's behind me, I'll see what he's going to see first. If he acts up behind me, I can reel him in close so he behaves. I don't know if it will work in the new boat, but in my prism, I can put a pack in back with the boy. He's a good puppy.

Sometimes I see things before the dog but just as often she sees it first. Or some stick in the water that she thinks looks like a beaver. Even more often she'll get worked up about something she smells that I never see. There have been bears, moose, otters, beaver, and other an animals I never would have seen if I hadn't taken a cue from my dog when I saw her catch scent.

I'm assuming that leash isn't actually connected to the seat?

The nice thing about the dog being up front is if they get rowdy you can always use your paddle to settle them down. ;)

Alan

My pup rides right in front of me in all solo canoes...between me and the front thwart. She's also 60 pounds. My last pup was a 70 pound lab and rode in the same spot. The lab was more of a chunk and could lay sideways but the coonhound is tall and lanky and must lay lengthwise. My Swifts have sliding seats which is a nice feature for carrying dogs although my solos with fixed seats work fine too. I'm a kneeler and it sounds like you aren't. I suggest that you leave your kayak paddle at home. Both of my dogs are totally comfy sitting up with the paddle flying a few inches above their heads during sit and switch paddling (if they get whacked they get a dog treat).
image.jpeg

Your pooch is in the best spot for the sake of trim. Don't think I can give up my double blade on big water though. I'll play around at the lake and see what happens.

Attachments

• photo11360.jpg
    photo11360.jpg
    668.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Your pooch is in the best spot for the sake of trim. Don't think I can give up my double blade on big water though. I'll play around at the lake and see what happens.
Your puppy looks like a fine paddling and fishing partner. Didn't you just buy a Zav?

However that your pooch is standing is troublesome.. Is the bottom of the boat dry and skid proof? I think that this boat may be too small per your dogl. I say this because my pooch insisted on standing in a boat that SHE deemed too small. This is not always desirable. With three foot waves I really needed her to lay down for the sake of trim.. With a stern wind it was impossible to keep the boat on course with her standing in the bow. I had to paddle backwards( bow into the wind!)!
She however would lay down in the Swift Raven which is a big solo.

The 17’ 6” Encounter is too small? We only paddle backwards. My neck is killing me. He’s a good puppy.

The dog needs to lie down. Like any tripping load it needs to be at or below gunwales rather than sticking up. Or have the potential to be in case of bad weather. You have what paddlers call a two moose boat( it is huge). But if the dog won't lie if it doesn't feel secure you need a three moose boat. Or the dog needs training. Or a cuddly mat.

Please no leash.. That is an entrapment hazard for both of you.. Your dog should respond to voice though I have to admit sometimes Lucy needed the touch of a paddle on her haunches to sit.. Not a whack just the application of pressure.

I wish canoe designers put thwarts and gunwales at the right height for dogs! Our Golden always looked like she was breaking her neck!
We still have ice on the lake
Our x of Lab and Cattle Dog has yet to be in the canoe on the water

Yes. The thwarts are the key, but rarely in the best place. My new ride has a much lower capacity, so it's likely not going to ride well with a dog and two packs.

Yes. The thwarts are the key, but rarely in the best place. My new ride has a much lower capacity, so it's likely not going to ride well with a dog and two packs.

If you are referring to your new Phoenix, I agree....it would be a tight fit........with two full size packs for a 10+ day trip, the only room for the dog would be between your legs or on top of a pack....The boat can handle that kind of weight, but that configuration of a paddler, 2 full size packs, and a big Dawg would be a very tight squeeze to fit in between and below the gunwales.....

Mike

Back