• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Poll: How many canoes and kayaks do you now own?

Poll: How many canoes and kayaks do you now own?

• None

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 3.7%

Votes: 5 9.3%

Votes: 12 22.2%

Votes: 7 13.0%

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • 6-9

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • 10-14

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • 15 or more

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The question is how many canoes, kayaks or gender neutral paddlecrafts you own now -- not how many you have owned in your paddling career. That may be a question for a future poll.

I have lost track and tend to buy and sell haphazardly.

Counting the two we are picking up in September, we have 9. Of those, 4 float, the rest need restoration.

No kayaks, ever. But I would consider repairing them if the correct funding were applied.

17 on the racks inside and out right now. I can justify that; we have four paddlers in the family, and half of those hulls were bought as used cheap rebuilds of abused or busted boats.

Two tandems, a Cronje and an MRC Freedom 17 (nee Revelation), the latter now converted for motor canoe use, both sprayskirted and somewhat outfitting modified.

A soloized Penobscot, Explorer and Malecite for big boat family tripping and sailing purposes.

A MRC Freedom Solo (nee Guide), a Mohawk Odyssey 14 and a Wenonah Wilderness, all RX, outfitted for moving water and day trips.

A Vermont era glass MRC Independence, customized as my wife’s solo lake sailing tripper.

One ancient “sea kayak”, a 14 foot Hydra Horizon. A 25 year old boat that refuses to die. That one hasn’t been paddled in years and is destined for some niece or nephew this fall.

That leaves 7 unaccounted for, those being my guilty pleasure shop outfitting experiments in customizing solo sailing decked trippers.

MRC Monarch, the finest open water tripping boat I have ever owned. It is simply a more competent (and forgiving) hull than I am paddler.
Soloized 70’s glass & nylon Hyperform Lettmann Optima (nee “Opie”). That is quite simply a helluva decked tripping hull under sail.
Soloized 70’s Old Town Sockeye (nee Sea Wimp). It is a heavy woven roving beast, but it sails like a sumbitch and has the storage volume of a motor home.
80’s Phoenix glass & nylon Vagabond. Wonderful light person’s decked solo sailer. I can’t keep up with my wife when she is in that hull.
70’s hardshell Klepper Kamerad TS. It is another woven roving heavyweight beast, but it was designed as a tandem sailer (TS) and shines rock steady in higher winds. A design designed loaner.
1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation Pamlico 145T. Soloized. Make that easily soloized, and I couldn’t pass it up for the used cost for a boat with a rudder. I have sung the praises of that Gen 1 Pamlico 145 as a cheap, easily convertible solo sailor many times. As a pocket sailing tripping nothing else comes close to the ubuquitosly available P145T.
Solozied Pamlico 160T. The “Plastic Kruger”. OK, it isn’t close to a Kruger boat. It lost 20+ lbs in soloizing and it is still heavy as heck, and is a bit of a barge. But my god it holds a lot of gear, and even with the solo seat raised 7 inches off the floor for single blade-ability it has rock steady stability even under sail.

Those at least are countable on the racks. Calculating all of the past canoes, including boats sold or traded, flips, giveaways and, um, long term loans would be a daunting task.

12 Cedar strip canoes, 4 glass canoes, 1 aluminum canoe, 1 plastic kayak, and 2 aluminum V-bottoms. I'd love to have more, just running out of storage.
I'm preparing for another Noah Flood ! Everybody knows History repeats itself !

Jim

Two canoes one kayak, it's the wife's kayak I've never even sat in it and she's only used it once, I think this is the third season we've had it. I'm not a kayak fan and it's just hard for my wife to get it to the lake by herself.

Colden DragonFly, Colden WIldFire, Placid Boatworks RapidFire, Wenonah Argosy,Swift Raven, Swift Heron, Curtis Nomad, Loon Works Aria, Mad River Monarch. One kayak Wilderness Systems Shenai, Tandems: Loon Works Duet, Wenonah Odyssey, Souris River WIlderness 18. One perpetually in restoration JR Robertson courting canoe

Have room for tons more as we have acreage..No need for more though.

We have lakes at hand and ocean half an hour away. We use the kayak and Monarch a great deal. It gets dicey on the Gulf of Maine with a canoe.

Last edited:
Colden DragonFly, Colden WIldFire, Placid Boatworks RapidFire, Wenonah Argosy,Swift Raven, Swift Heron, Curtis Nomad, Loon Works Aria, Mad River Monarch. One kayak Wilderness Systems Shenai, Tandems: Loon Works Duet, Wenonah Odyssey, Souris River WIlderness 18. One perpetually in restoration JR Robertson courting canoe

Have room for tons more as we have acreage..No need for more though.

We have lakes at hand and ocean half an hour away. We use the kayak and Monarch a great deal. It gets dicey on the Gulf of Maine with a canoe.

What happened to your Hemlock Peregrine and Swift Dumoine?

What happened to your Hemlock Peregrine and Swift Dumoine?
Downsize. Don't need the length of yet another scion of the Solo Tripper. Its daddy the Nomad is faster Its cousin the yellow Heron even faster ( but decidedly lacking in the stability dept. I'd have a hard time selling it to a new paddler who would be wet). Dumoine has been gone for years I ran into a trip where someone had to solo as someone bailed and the Dumoine couldn't be paddled backwards. And I had taken out the kneeling thwart for more baggage room for a St John trip. It was replaced by a Prospector but that went away too. We dont do much tandem river travel

Last edited:
I have two canoes that I use and won't sell, a 15' wood canvas Chestnut Chum and a 16 Chestnut Pal. I have quite a few other canoes in various states of disrepair that are here only for restore/resale, maybe 5 Mad Rivers, 3 real nice wood canvas canoes, 3 fiberglass canoes.

Two MR Malecites, F/G and Kevlar, MR Courier, Carbon Fiber Adirondack Canoe (Never seen on like it), Bell Rob Roy, Hyperform Lettman like McCrea's but different considering they were made in the same year and of course the old Hogged Backed Saint (Disco 158) that has seen more miles than I can count. I've had a slew of other hulls but this is what I've got now.

dougd

Carbon Fiber Adirondack Canoe (Never seen on like it)

I expect that one is a rare bird. Carbon Fiber Prospector with a seemingly unique backstory. IIRC the construction of that canoe was started by Stowe, who offered it only for the year they folded, and the hull was then picked up and finished by another canoe manufacturer.

What was the company that completed the canoe?

Two Old town RX canoes, pack & charles river and Two wood and canvas ,a northwoods 14' e.m. white and a mystery canoe ( 19.5' x 38" x 14" ,3 straight 2" ash thwarts , one slatted ash catbird stern seat only, painted canvas with no filler , all robertson screws in ash gunnels , red cedar ribs and planks, never restored in pristine condition ) . Any ideas on unknown canoe out there?

"I refuse to answer on the grounds that the information could be used against me..." Yep.

12 total (8 here in coastal CT), including 1 canoe, 1 expedition double kayak and 2 inflatable river kayaks stored way up North...

Then there are a couple of simple rowing craft...

This is what happened when the wife made me (largely) give up motorcycles!

I'm going to save this thread and share it with my wife the next time I hear that I have too many boats :D

This thread is invaluable conformation in defending that the proper number of canoes to own is “Just one more”.

At the end of polling the results need to be illustrated with a bar graph. Preferably something easily printable for future use as Exhibit A evidence.

2 canoes, 3 pirogues (my favorite boat to paddle; have built 14), 1 kayak (which went up for sale 2 months after purchase -- can't hold a candle to my pirogues -- IMHO).

Back