• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Poling through south Kansas City (video)

Reaction score
I went down the Blue River that runs through Kansas City last Thursday after work. I didn't have too much time so it's just a downstream run. The Blue is highly rain dependant, there's only a few hours of optimal water level after good rains if you don't want to wade. Of course, I forgot to turn on my camera for the first three or four sets of rapids which happen to be the biggest. It's actually a pretty scenic river before it goes through the industrial parts of town farther north and east. I might upload another video later that's less cool shots and more large rocks.

https://youtu.be/9snZTlf887w

Last edited:
Fun to watch Ben. It reminded me some what like Jousting !

The bank erosion looks familiar, to some of our little streams around here.

Is that one of your homemade Kevlars ? More details !

Jim

Yeah. That's my Mattawa that I built. 43 lbs. It's becoming my beater for bony rivers. The bottom looks likes Alan's Bloodvein II after his trip last year, more scratches than bottom. I'm really impressed at how it's holding up though, there's not a single scratch into the glass. It will get some more abuse in the coming months down in the Ozarks, that is until I start my new build this summer, a purpose built downriver poler...

Nice work. I need to try that some day.

Alan

As much as you travel upriver on your trips I'm surprised you haven't. Your big solo that your building should be stable enough, especially loaded, for poling. Forget the whitewater paddle and use the pole. Be warned, I have three whitewater canoes, but poling is so addictive I have to talk myself into using them from time to time.

Is there any hull rocker in your Mattawa ?
I tried poling the river, in its lazy level, years ago. My 17' aluminum,was super stable, and I liked reading the water, and the bank, at a higher level. Need to try it again !

Jim.

I

Is there any hull rocker in your Mattawa ?
I tried poling the river, in its lazy level, years ago. My 17' aluminum,was super stable, and I liked reading the water, and the bank, at a higher level. Need to try it again !

Jim.

I

Specs from Northwest Canoe...
Mattawa
Overall Length 15 ft 8 in

Click Sketch To
Purchase Canoe Plans​
Waterline Length 14 ft 10 in
Rocker: Bow/Stern 2 ½ / 1¾
Maximum Beam 36 in
Beam - Waterline 33 in
Sheer Bow 22 in
Amidships Depth 14½ in
Sheer Stern 19½ in
Freeboard @ 360 lbs 9 in

It's a John Winters design and is definitely his style. Asymmetrical in rocker, sheer, and swede form. It is a nice river boat that turns easy enough and rides dry. It's a bit tall when not loaded and the wind has its way with her. The way the boat is set up I run it backwards when I pole which is not ideal. There's already a bunch of extra holes in the gunwales where I've rearranged the seats when I was using it for tandem tripping. I should just bite the bullet, pull the seats, and redo the thwarts so it's set up just for poling.

Those dimensions should make it a good poling canoe. I would definitely need the width, and the hull rocker should also help stability.
As far as symmetry, paddling forward or backward, I wouldn't think, paddling little streams would make much difference ? In fact going stern first might be better, in an Asymmetrical hull ?
Correct me if I'm wrong !
Thanks !

Jim

Last edited:
I'm not really sure yet either. Backwards has more volume for going off drops but also less sheer height. Running it backwards definitely lets the back end slip around more which is no good for going upstream. I just took the seats out and repositioned the thwarts, so I'll let you know what I find out after some experimenting.

that was fun to watch, music vibe was well timed and cool too. Although I think Sammy Hagar I can't drive 55 might have worked to greater effect. :)

If I ever ended up in those parts I definitely would have to give it a try, in my board shorts wearing a crash helmet of course...

I enjoyed watching your video. I have a suggestion for Muskrat, which is to keep the boat trimmed front-heavy for downstream poling. It looked like you stand towards the upstream end. You'd like to be able to slide your upstream end across the current, which is easier to do if that is the lighter end of the boat. The current always wants to pull the heavier, i.e., deeper, end of the boat downstream. So, the river will help keep your boat pointing downstream if the downstream end is heavier/deeper.

I had a blast poling my Appalachian this weekend. It is set up with factory-stock tandem seating and thwarts. That arrangement makes it hard to shift weight from one end of the boat to the other, as I am not too nimble leaping over the center thwart. It's got me thinking about setting it up for solo poling. I'm going to start a new thread on set-up for poling rather than continue here about it.

Chip, I stand upstream because I'm moving the canoe faster than the current so it stays trimmed properly, stern down. If I'm picking my way downstream slower than the current the stern becomes the downstream end and I will have my weight downstream. I was moving fast and less controlled since I had limited time on this run before sundown. Also I have more fun going fast.

Back