• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Painters Drop Cloth Tarp Project (Pic & Text Heavy)

Reaction score
Bitten by the DIY bug, the next gear project on my checklist was a functional canvas tarp from an inexpensive painter's drop cloth. Of course it'll never be as lightweight and compact as modern tarps, but I like the fact that they are rugged and spark resistant. Already had to repair an 8x10 silnylon tarp twice because of its poor abrasion resistance and don't want to burn holes in the CCS 10x10 tarp obtained a few seasons back. Along with a canvas bedroll cover, the intention is to use this heavier canvas tarp as a basic shelter in the shoulder season when flies are gone and a warming fire can be confidently built to reflect heat.

Many bushcraft sites discuss using canvas painter's drop cloths as an affordable base material. But, there are conflicting opinions about whether the commonly sold, 9x12, 8oz. plain-weave cloths from hardware stores are too loosely woven to be effective shelters in heavy rain. Others folks have commented that the weave can be tightened by hot washing and drying a few times before applying a basic waterproofing agent. Just when I was about to pull the trigger and buy one, I found another brand being offered on sale with a much larger coverage of 12'x14'. Not only that, it was woven with what appeared to be a tighter twill weave. Here's a web image of the brand (although this is a pic of their 8'x12')

Bennet%2BTwill%2BDrop%2BCloth.JPG

Bennett Brand Twill Woven Drop Cloth

Hoop's tarpology skills are epic and I'm a convert to his gable style method for the CCS tarp too. But I also like a lean-style tarp pitched right on the ground sometimes. One of my go-to pitches is the "Adirondack Wind Shed" because one can sleep laterally warmed by a fire and have an exposed view.

tarps094.jpg

Adirondack Wind Shed Pitch
http://www.survivalprimer.com/Tarp Shelters -Macpherson.htm

The pitch resembles a Whelen Leanto and I remember coming across an old illustration of a Whelen with a canoe tipped over as additional coverage...
Canoe%2BWhelen%2BLeanto%2BShelter.jpg

So with this goal in mind, the project was begun. First the tarp was washed twice in hot water and machined dried with high heat to "tighten the weave". Not sure if this was necessary for this twill woven drop cloth but I followed the advice of posters on forums who suggested this be done before any cutting and modifications to the drop cloth take place. One interesting thing was that the single seam on this 12'x14' behemoth was not actually centered on the tarp - instead it was around 4' from one edge. Marked out to get a 10x10 square and positioned the cuts to take advantage of the stitched outer edges. Only 2 sides would be raw edged after cutting.

Keeping in mind that I don't have a sewing machine, at this stage I moved on to the waterproofing process and had plans to deal with the raw edges later. I had obtained a bottle of NIKWAX Cotton Proof years ago thinking I would use it on a canvas pack, but never did. The Nikwax didn't seem to have an expiration date so figured now would be the time use this thing. I followed the hand washing instructions listed on the label which involved using the whole bottle (300 ml) while sloshing the tarp around in giant tub. 5 Minute soak, quick rinse and then air dried. This was before Bob B's recent post on natural waterproofing methods like Boiled Linseed Oil and Iron Oxide powder.

Dropcloth%2BTarp%2BProject%2B09_rs.jpg

It was then brought back in to deal with the raw cut edges and center seam. Like I said, we don't have a sewing machine but figured I could do a quick temporary job on the seams with pretty strong duct tape. Got the idea from Seeker's post of his homemade Whelen constructed with a poly tarp and Gorilla duct tape. Of course, nothing will properly replace the need for stitched edges but for the time being simply folding the raw edges in some of this heavy duty tape did the trick until I can get a used sewing machine and learn how to use it. A strip was also taped to the underside of the off-centered seam.

For tie outs, I just used the old method of marbles and a little cordage. In total 8 of these were used so that there were tied out points every 5'. The beauty of this system is that the tie out positions can moved anywhere on the tarp for some pretty interesting pitches.

It was set it up in the backyard to give the waterproofing a quick test run. While most sites show the Adirondack Wind Shed pitched with a horizontal ridge line tied between trees, I wanted to see if it could be free standing using paddles as supports. Amidst the chaos, I'm also working on 2 more paddles so these incomplete projects were used here. This pitch needs just 4 ground stakes on the tarp and 2 more for the guylines line supports. The awning is tied out to patio table for this pic, but my intention would be to have the overturned canoe serve as an anchor point when out in the field.

Dropcloth%2BTarp%2BProject%2B57_rs.jpg

As an extra bit, another line was run between the 2 paddles and tensioned to support the "awning" but given the heavier weight of the canvas, there is a pronounced curve. When I did this setup months ago with my 10x10 silnylon tarp, the awning was flatter. Still I can live with it in calmer weather. This pitching style creates a sloped rear to allow for coverage in modest rain with a height of just over 4 feet at the awning. As a bit of scale, my wool kilim blanket is roughly 65" inches long. Lengthwise, there's more than enough space under there for my bedroll and some gear.

After leaving it out overnight to see if any winds would slacken the line, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the thing didn't budge. This included a visit by the local racoon gang living in my back neighbour's shed. One of them tried to climb up the backside and left his muddy paw prints on the tarp...

Dropcloth%2BTarp%2BProject%2B40_rs.jpg

Anyway, some water was sprayed on with the garden hose and it looks like the Nikwax coating did its job. Water droplets immediately beaded up and flowed down the back of the tarp

Dropcloth%2BTarp%2BProject%2B43_rs.jpg

Other pitches include a more tunnel shaped pitch with one paddle in front and another in the rear. It needs many more stakes but found it to be functional.

DSCN0242_rs.jpg

I've also played with this setup a bit. By opening up one side and staking the end at the half-way point, you get a bit more coverage but still retain an open feel. Basically with a bedroll thrown in there, your upper body can be exposed to a warming fire with your lower body more covered by the tarp.

DSCN0246_rs.jpg

Lastly, there's the pyramid tarp tent. The NorthWest Woodsman's webpage tutorial on this setup is very well explained. This pitch works best with a rectangular tarp but it can still be done with a 10x10 square design resulting in a more narrow and compact solo shelter (roughly 5.5' high at the entry x 5' wide x 7.5' long). However, my 58" paddles are too low to raise the front entry to practical levels. For that reason, one would need to find something in the bush or use a canoe pole. Here I just used a piece of 8ft - 2x2 lumber. The pole was rigged with two prussic loops that hold in position once everything is tensioned. One is connected to the top of the tarp with a carabiner, the other supports some guylines on the opposite side.

DSCN0251_rs.jpg

The door flaps can be staked closed as in the above picture, angled out or fully pulled back to give a bit more air and space. It requires a minimum of 7 stakes to pitch properly plus the guyline. It could be rigged better with two lashed poles in front to free up space in the entryway but I didn't have another piece of suitable lumber to play with at the time. Here's another view of the interior with one door flap angled out and another folded fully back...

DSCN0256_rs.jpg

Overall, it seems like a success for minimal work and supplies. Plus there's plenty of left over material for other goodies in the future. Just need to learn how to sew.

Ho I like that last set up!! I might have to do some thing like that!!

I really need to play more with tarps, other than the usual over the head rain/sun protection!!

Murat,

Excellent post! I love the ideas, your tarp looks real functional and a small fire in the front can be right cozy. Man, it makes me wanna grab my bed roll and gear and we can go tripping right now! I sure hope to see pics of your tarp in action. There is nothing like a hot cup of coffee under a tarp with a fire on a cold gloomy morning ... or taking a nip off the bottle under stars and blanket on a cold clear night!

I really liked you pictures. How much does your tarp weigh? How well does it pack up with a blanket in it?

Good on ya - real nice post. Also, when burning soft wood under the point, like the set you did in the first picture, you will start to get a kind of burnt marshmallow color under the canvas. This is good as it is not only gives the tarp an aged patina look, but I believe it helps with water proofing as well.

Bob.

Last edited:
I've been looking into sewing my own winter canvas tent, and that fabric looks like it might do the trick with some waterproofing. Thanks. Apparently in the old days it was much easier to come across Egyptian cotton sailcloth, a very tightly woven, high thread count, lighter material.. But now it is only sold in enormous quantities and impractical to purchase for individuals.
We also like to drop the back of our tarps occasionally, especially in gusty conditions. We raise the front either by using paddles (still suspended on a centre ridge line) or by finding suitable thin trees and sharpening the edges into stakes.

tearknee; Before sewing that tent you might want to check out wintertrekking .com. Lots of guys there have made their own tents, me included. Be careful with that waterproofing, some types are highly flammable.

what a great looking versatile shelter system, inexpensive too -- and what, about six lbs?

tearknee; Before sewing that tent you might want to check out wintertrekking .com. Lots of guys there have made their own tents, me included. Be careful with that waterproofing, some types are highly flammable.

I'd probably get too frustrated cutting the fabric to ever get around to actually sewing the thing, hahahahaha. I've been looking on wintertrekker and reading and studying the patterns in Snow Walker's Guide and I've gone cross-eyed and pretty much quit before I started. There's a lot to learn. I just love the look of natural materials. MuratV, you made one dope-lookin tarp. Think you could add bits on to make a baker-style?

Last edited:
Bob & Tump: Just weighed it. For a canvas tarp it's not bad but gram counters will gasp in horror...it's 7lbs. Bushcraft Outfitters once made a 10x10 in Sunforger that was around 9lbs I think. Once I get up north again, I'm going to try wrapping the bedroll system in this so it'll replace the canoe pack (which is also heavy and is single purpose). This tarp will never replace lightweight silnylon CCS for longer trips but for shorter ones, it should be fun to play with.

Tear_knee. I was seriously thinking about using the 12x14 dropcloth material to make a smaller baker style. But the realization that it needed to be stitched well was intimidating. Have to learn more before attempting but maybe in the future. Plus the Baker style benefits from having some sort pole support system. Thought I could make a 2 piece, 12ft wooden canoe pole and then disassemble it to use as supports. Anyway, that just means more projects to dabble with...

Murat,

I would think with a blanket and half blanket and perhaps and extra shirt/ pants rolled up in it, you would be lighter than a pack with a tent with sleeping bag and extra clothes - or close to it. Also, with a tump, you can wear it on top of your main pack and off you go - it is really not uncomfortable or too heavy, likely around 20 pounds or a bit less with all that. Have fun, that is all that matters really.

Bob.

If you're not into sewing you could use FABRIC GLUE and put a rolled hem in it and tack it together with glue. Not sure how it would do holding two pieces of fabric together to make a tent or something but if you just want to roll a hem to keep it from fraying everywhere I'll bet this would work.

Funny... I was just messing around with the poly Whelen this weekend... that huge depression left over from Hurricane Patricia provided a great test lab... I put a tieout tab in the middle of the back of my Whelen, using Gorilla Tape, and it came loose in the hot sun... so I wanted to see if a sewn-in tab could be waterproofed... failure... the water soaked through the stitching, even soaked in silicone... but it doesn't drip, it just runs down the back wall.

I have wanted to try to make a Whelen from light canvas... this might be a way to achieve that.... they're a couple hundred bucks from a good company who makes them... can't afford that.

Thanks for the idea!

Trying to seam seal poly is going to be difficult as nothing much sticks to it. Maybe the tape they use on Cuben Fibre would be strong enough to hold a pull out? Or just use these-

TarpPullOut2-Page.jpg

from Dutchware. Just like the old pebble and string but a little more upmarket!

Instead of a Baker tent maybe a canvas version of one of Dan Cooke's "Leans" would be good?

I see that ATUK are now selling a canvas tarp but the the 10ft by 12ft is Cdn$260 and in 10oz canvas it weighs 11lb.

seeker -- what sort of thread did you use for stitching? my canvas whelen doesn't leak a drop, wax-based canvas tent treatment with cotton stitching, my nylon whelen, with cotton stitching leaked thru the seams and down the nylon tie-outs, drip drip drip in prolonged heavy rain until i seam-sealed the crap out of it...

my theory is that cotton threads are better than poly/cotton for waterproofing -- at least with the waxy based things -- tho they're not as strong, but strong enough if you sew them well -- could be superstition or bad tribal knowlege, but this goes back to about 25 years ago, patching an old army-surplus oil-skin...british army barbours...

MacPac, the kiwi tent and pack company use to use cotton thread to sew the stuff and claimed that it was the reason it was water proof, the cotton thread when wet, swells into the needle holes and plug them. I have a tent from them and the seams are not taped or waterproofed any other ways than the cotton thread, and I had it on a sea kayaking trip for 5 days on the coast of Alaska, and never had a drop of water coming in! Pretty impressive.

Red: Thanks for the idea about fabric glue. It should come in handy for some smaller canvas projects I've got in mind.

Seeker: That Bennett brand is the only canvas dropcloth I've come across that isn't plain woven. Seems pretty tight out of the package with that twill weave. Hope you'll post pics of your project when it gets underway. Thanks too for sharing about the unfortunate stitching failure on the poly tarp..good to know.

dang, the only one I can find of the same brand is 8x12 for 20 some dollars.... I was wondering what is the advantage of the drop cloth over natural canvas, let say in he 10oz??

Back