• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Paddling Hawaii

Reaction score
While Hawaii is not a tripping destination it certainly could be a canoeing destination. Canoeing is the state sport in Hawaii and almost every harbor or beach has a canoe club. As far as I know almost all school kids have the opportunity to try paddling with a canoe club. It's nice to see the kids hauling there six man outriggers to the water for lessons after school. It is also inspiring to see a line of 6 or 8 or more 6 man boats out for a practice session after work, all paddling in unison switching in sinc on the hut.. Canoeing is a big part of the culture with old paddles and canoe art as a part of much of the decor. My favorite hotel has a restored 150 year old canoe that was owned by a King in their lobby.

A couple years after our first trip over there SUP had made the scene. I thought it was going to be the ticket for me to get an off season paddling fix, but it just never felt as good as paddling a canoe. There are outrigger canoes for hire to surf waves with a steersman, but I was turned off by there advertising. The sign said "Canoe rides $45.00" To me it sounded like you were just along for the ride and not a participant. We finally broke down and took a "ride." It was very exiting feeling the power of the wave catch and accelerate the boat. At times spray was coming over the bow and also the stern from the wave pushing from behind. The boats are very tender and when I leaned away from the outrigger I was surprised how much it affected the boat. When the waves are big there is plenty of power for things to go wrong. In the Hawaiin language they even have a word for flipping a boat, huli huli. It is the same word that they now use to describe rotisserie chicken.

My wife and I, being experienced paddlers were able to catch many more waves than the typical customer. Over the years we have made friends over there and get to go out for free. We have a deal with one of the more experienced steersman over there who gives us free lessons in exchange for some Ak. seafood.

One of my friends over there has been involved in the building of a couple boats and has plans to build his own. I told him about this site with the many experienced builders and he seemed interested in checking us out.

I'll try to upload some photos when I have time.

We might get to HI this year
I now cannot look at rotisserie chicken the same
Without thinking of flipping in Hawaii
And yelling Huli Huli at the deli counter!

I couldn't find any canoe related pics right now but here is a sample. If you do get over there YC you should give canoe surfing a try. My wife is hooked.

Attachments

• photo11441.jpg
    photo11441.jpg
    413.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11442.jpg
    photo11442.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11443.jpg
    photo11443.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo11444.jpg
    photo11444.jpg
    585.5 KB · Views: 1
I bet I could talk my Wife into a Trip to Hawaii ! And if canoe building was involved, she might have a very hard time getting me to come back to Iowa !
Keep the Pics coming !!!

Jim

YC If you will be on Kuaii I can hook you up.I can also get you to a free Lua. No food though.

Hubby is doing the planning.. I foisted it on him.. I usually do the planning but am kind of tired of it.. We will be doing a fly and drive visiting several islands. Probably in January. He doesnt sit on beaches well and I hate fancy hotels I believe Kauaii is on the itinerary and we can see if we can extend the time there..

Thank you Al!

Back