• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

paddled Swift's new solos today

Reaction score
I went to the Swift demo day at Rutabaga today to paddle the Swift solos that I've never paddled. The Cruiser 16.8 and Prospector 14 can be seen in the pic. I also paddled the Keewaydin 15 in the middle plus a Keewaydin 14 not shown. These 4 are Swift's current solo line-up and I had only paddled the Keewaydin 15 before.
image.jpegimage.jpeg d
I did not fall in love with any of them although they are all nice boats. Kee14 didn't feel as hot as expected based on the specs. Both Kee14 and Kee15 are a bit stubborn to turn. Kee15 is wonderfully stable and feels like a luxury solo to me. Prospector 14 is stable and turns nicely but doesn't like to be pushed. Cruiser 16.8 just wasn't for me and although fast I expected faster. I do admire Swift's construction as all boats were very light and very stiff. The two position seat in the Prospector and Kee is a nice feature. I have an Osprey and a Shearwater and love them both and now both are special order. Hmmm. The Swift pack boats were very popular and Bill Swift said it was their fastest growing segment.

I like and bought the Kee 15 a couple of years ago, then I found the Prospector 16 and liked that on more.

The Kee 15 reminded me of the Merlin II a steady cruiser. Never paddled the 14.. The Kee 15 does turn well when edged.. What is often missing in reviews is the stance of the paddler and if they are paddling boat entirely flat or with a little edge on turns.. I was able to rail the 15 and it held but on a trip I am not interested in ejecting the contents of the boat. The rocker specs indicate that both are meant to aid tracking..

The newest solo is the Cruiser 14.8, that is one I am itching to try. I have a Key 15 rented for for friday, my friends and I are into Algonquin for an "ice out" trip .... renting is bothersome, as I have 3 cedar strips in my shed ... but we have a long portage and this boat is a lot lighter.

image.jpeg

sweeper - I like the Kee15 too and would be perfectly happy with it as my only solo canoe. I've never paddled Swift's Prospector 16 but I'd like to. What do you like most about yours?

yellowcanoe - it depends on your idea of what it means to turn well. I'd give the Kee15 and Merlin II about a 3 on a 1-10 scale for playfulness. The Kee14 maybe a 4. The Cruiser 16.8 a 1. You can bring the rail to the water on all of them (didn't try it with the Cruiser) but none feel like they were designed for it. I paddled a Northstar Firebird (the red one) and I'd give that an easy 9 for playfulness. I like it much better than the Flashfire I had for real world use (anything but pure freestyle) and I spent the most time in it and told the Rutabaga guy I'd be very happy to go spend the rest of the day in it.

cruiser - I think the 14.8 is only available in a pack boat for now. They had one but I didn't try it since I don't know how to use a kayak paddle. But it appears to be a bullet. It seemed like almost everyone at the demo day was relatively new to paddling. If someone had a rec kayak and learned that they liked paddling then can you imagine paddling a Swift pack boat? So fast, so beautiful, so easy to load on the vehicle. But how will you decide whether to spend the extra $400 to get a 23 pound boat or live with a 25 pounder?

I am more comfortable paddling further back and not in the center of the canoe. So spinning the Prospector 16 around and sitting in the bow seat is more comfortable for me. But it is big for a solo.

Gumpus.. David Yost designed the Kee series for the beginning to intermediate paddler looking for assistance in keeping the boat going straight. That said the 15 does make a long radius turn with enough momentum and a well placed static stroke and edge.. DY designs most of his boats for sea kindliness and seaworthiness featuring good secondary stability.. Now the Cruiser.. DY and my late friend Tom MacKenzie used to parry about the need to make an old mans MY series ( MacKenzie-Yost).. They were bandying about the name MY Ego. Not a turner at all.. an old mans speedster that would accommodate old mens balance.

I'd like to have a MY Pal. I still remember test paddling one 20+ years ago and it was a sporty little tandem. I would own a tandem from Tom if I could have decided between the MY Pal and the Duet. I'd still struggle with that decision. I had a Mistral from Tom but sold it and should have listened to Tom because he pointed out that I already had "travelin boats".

Back