• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Oil-canning anyone...?

Reaction score
I don't think I had seen a used canoe in this bad a shape before. I hope no one pays the $450 this seller tries to get for it.

Sad to see that canoes of this "quality" are still manufactured and sold at all. Yes, it could have been stored better, but still, this canoe was never a good boat to begin with. These types of canoes are made at low cost/quality and they are mostly designed for easy shipping. I think they also contribute to decisions that turn many away from canoeing and toward kayaking. In fact, I have had many conversations with my kayaking friends, and yes I regard some of their kind as friends ;-), as to why they chose kayaks over canoes. The major answers I hear is "Canoes are very heavy and hard to paddle". Many of them go on to recall early childhood summer camp experiences where three or four, then light weight, youth were stuck into 17', 80+ pound aluminum canoes, given little to no instructions, and sent out to the lake or down a river. At least aluminum canoes were made well...

00a0a_1dU7oIsVLte_600x450.jpg

My god....I laughed uncontrollably when I saw the picture.

Nothing like a little reverse rocker to keep you going straight!

Come on, I think you are being a bit harsh. Just look at all the good reviews!!
Like this one: Took 2 1/2 weeks to get here. It arrived with the plastic covering intact , but when I pulled it off, the boat was warped beyond use. I called the manufacturer and was told to "lay it in the sun and it will return to its original shape". So I did. No change. Taking it back to Walmart.
Maybe you just have to lay this one out in the sun for a week or two. lol
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sun-Dolph...Canoe/14550411
  • Hull design optimizes stability
  • Tracks and paddles with ease
  • Rugged UV-stabilized Fortiflex high-density polyethylene
  • Capacity for 3
  • Storage compartment
  • Cooler under center seat
  • Paddle holders
  • Beverage holders molded into every seat
But you'd think they could shave off a few more bucks from the full (new) price for this slightly used Sun Dolphin.

Last edited:
Oil canning is flexing and flopping if the bottom underway. That isn't oilcanning. That is a hogged

Hogs and oil cans are different.

The seller is of course delusional

I'm persnickety. In a customs line for 30 minutes in the Yukon on the Alaska highway and bored!

Last edited:
I stand corrected! A hog ain't the same as an oil can.
That boat is a hog for sure..:)

Hope the line isn't (wasn't ) too much longer...

There is a really beautiful farm I drive by on occasion, well-kept home and out buildings, nice fences, equipment all lined up neatly and there out in the field up on horses is a copy of that canoe...makes me cringe.

Back