• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Off for 10 days on the Big Salmon River Yukon Territory...

Reaction score
We are finishing the prep for our annual river trip. We are going on the Big Salmon river, a trip that start on Quite lake that flows into Sandy lake and then Big Salmon lake that goes into Big Salmon river. The Big Salmon empty it self in the Yukon River at Big Salmon Village an old first nation village that is not used any more. And then we finish our trip to Carmaks, same as our last year 2 river trip we did, Yukon from Whitehorse and Teslin from Jonson Crossing...

On this year trip we are 7 adults and 5 kids. Th river is not technical, but might have its challenges, sweepers, strainers, log jam and rock gardens...

Fishing and early moose will occupy my days, with cooking and paddling...

We'll get back here with some kind of a trip report after the 16th of august!!

Cheers

Have fun ! I know the kids will have memories to last a life time .

We paddled the Big Salmon some years ago in late August and there were salmon everywhere, even had one leap into our canoe. Not surprisingly there were lots of bear tracks along the river although we didn't see a bear until we reached the Yukon River. We have a photo of us taken by a German couple we met along the river. It is framed and hung above our dining table, red canoe against a monochrome sand cliff, one of my favourite pictures.

My 8 year old have already been on that river, with my wife, when she was 2.5 years old... But it will be my first time!! She will be my bow partner for that trip, so hopefully she can guide me through it :)!!

As for the moose, it is still early, and hot and 5 kids on that trip.... So we are not holding our breath!!

Cheers
Every one and see you and 10 days!!

I counted King salmon from the back seat of a Super Cub at 300 feet above the Big Salmon River, when I worked for the Alaska Dept. of Fish & Game back in the 70's and 80's. A lot of really neat country and have always thought that the route you described would be a nice trip. Looking forward to trip report and pictures

Back