• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Northwest Canoe Cottage?

Reaction score
Howdy all,

Thinking I'd like to build a cedar strip version of a Pal-style boat to replace my Rx Nova Craft Pal. The Nova Craft is a super day paddler for me and my pooch, sometimes with a friend's dog along, too. I've enjoyed the boat more than I really expected to and I believe I'd really like to have a stripper version. Got way too many leftover building supplies sitting here and I'm jonesin' to build something!

The NWC Cottage looks like it might be very similar but I haven't seen the plans yet. Probably a long shot but does anyone here know anything about this particular design?

Thanks.

Not sure about the NWC canoe, but the guy from Carryingplace canoes assured me that the model in the link below was a pal.

http://www.carryingplacecanoeworks.o...ildexpress.pdf

The plans list rocker at 2.5 inches, but I think that is some kind of strange measure, it doesn't have a lot of rocker. I have built two of these, and I think they are pretty close to a Pal. They are a small canoe for tandem tripping, but will handle a two week trip with lighter paddlers. Here's a shot of it in operation. The kid in the back is about 160 pounds, the one in the front about 110.

I used it as a solo canoe for quite a while, and found it to be pretty good.

Oh I like that one. I really wanted a 16 footer so this design will be perfect for me. I plan to have two dogs in it fairly often - one medium size and one med/large. The extra foot makes things much more comfortable.

This boat will see only short camping trips during fair weather with a friend who no longer cares for the more adventurous stuff. I enjoy short 3 day outings in early/late winter and the dogs go with me on those.

Thank you kindly for the heads-up. Time to order the plans, inventory the materials I have and those I'll need. Hope to start come April.

I doubt many have built the Cottager from NWC yet as it's only recently been made available, if I'm not mistaken. Dennis at NWC is a super guy and likes to talk boats so I'm sure he'd be happy to tell you about it if you called.

You could also scan the building forum at BWCA.com, maybe there's been talk of it. Lots of MN based builders there that tend to build "local" designs. I've never heard anything bad about any of the NWC designs.

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...1&forumId=160&CFID=484294663&CFTOKEN=16024521

Alan

That's a good idea, Alan. The attribute I like of the NWC design is the slightly lower bow & stern heights. One inch doesn't sound like much but it does make a difference in windy regions like mine.

I've ordered the plans and will examine them when the download comes through. I'll be interested in talking with Dennis regarding the prospect of lengthening the boat by 6 or 12". I've got several builds under my belt but I've never modified one to this degree.

From reading up on the BWCA link you provided it sounds like the NWC plans/designs do not incorporate inner or outer stems. I've only built with inners & outers thus would probably want to make this modification, too. It should be educational talking with Dennis.

Will have to buy some cloth - I thought I had plenty of 6 oz but my roll of that weight is S cloth. All my other cloth is 4 oz E. This won't be a hard use boat and I'm thinking of doing 6 oz on the exterior with an extra layer of 6 oz bias on the stems and doing 4 oz on the interior with an extra 4 oz biased football from seat to seat.

Back