• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

New GoPros - better quality, more $$$

Reaction score
Released in the last several days, the new GoPro 6 Black includes better image stabilization and improved video quality, which the Cnet reviewer seems to think is worth it, but $100 more at $500. The other new GP is the Fusion for those who like 360-degree coverage. In other reviews, critics are saying that these prices are too high and these will not sell well enough to withstand competition... same old story, phone cameras have improved to the point where image quality is good enough for most buyers, at a lower price and there are waterproof phones now available.

Lots of news coverage...

https://www.cnet.com/news/gopro-hero-6-can-be-in-your-hands-now-for-499/

Interesting. The GoPro Hero 5 is still a new system and $550 here when I was shopping recently. I don't like the Black versions since they do not include the LCD back, it is a separate purchase for like $110. I got a Hero 4 Silver off Ebay, brand new with SD card, spare battery and dual charger for just over $400.

I could do 4K if I wanted, but prefer 1080 at 60 fps. All you need really. Most of these newfangled cameras require a phone and I don't have a smart phone and will not buy one just to connect to a camera or whatnot. Even some of the drones require a smart phone. If you really want to spend some money, get the GoPro Karma Drone. $1100 US for 20 minutes flying time.

Mihun,

Most of these newfangled cameras require a phone and I don't have a smart phone and will not buy one just to connect to a camera or whatnot...

I don't either and have no plans to buy one or the other... those who already own smartphones are probably also using them for photos so for some, probably most, the option to carry another piece of gear with a GoPro on top of that will be too much. Some of the business-oriented reviews out there are saying GoPro is doing poorly on sales for this reason, there is a lot of competition and more more coming with new development in smartphones and the new GoPro features just won't be worth it for most. Dedicated, hardcore GoPro users will be fewer in number.

OTOH some reviewers really do like the 6, by the improved performance which for my interests include better low light capability, increased dynamic range and better image stabilization. The 4K ultra-high definition vids might also be something someday but for now, it's not needed since I don't have a large enough TV that will be capable of showing that kind of quality.

As far as price goes in Canada, about $650 IIRC. An interesting little bit about past GoPro prices and overproduction... part of the reason GoPro is doing poorly as a business at the moment is they built far too many cameras in the past and weren't able to sell them at the higher price points they were planning for. So before starting on the 6, they had to sell off older inventory at reduced prices which meant lower profits but better prices for buyers. Their new strategy this time round is to produce fewer cameras to keep prices high which may or may not be a good thing business-wise. If prices are too high, buyers will switch to the competition, unless the promised GoPro quality is there and good enough to make a difference. There are some very good reviews at the moment with the new release but eventually there will be reviews for value as well, comparisons being made with the competition, so we wait and see, which probably won't need a lot of time considering how fast developments here are being made in performance improvements. And, it is interesting to watch how it's all moving forward... good morning, over and out.

Back