• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Need suggestions!

Reaction score
I will be attending paddlefest in Old Forge in 2 weeks to test and probably purchase a new canoe. Most of my canoeing experience has been fishing on small ponds and lakes in my wenonah 14' fisherman. I want to expand that to do some solo day trips and a few overnighters on bigger water. I'm looking for something light, money not really an issue (as long as my wife doesn't see this!). I'm retired, 5' 11" 230. I don't think I'll be doing much river travel, mostly lakes. What would you more experienced paddlers suggest?

How much do you have to spend ?

Some of these new canoes can substantially lighten your billfold !

Jim

Just bought a new Swift Prospector 16 its dual use, it's a Tandem but being symmetrical you can spin it around and paddle in bow seat, it's a solo @32-36 pounds.

I will be attending paddlefest in Old Forge in 2 weeks to test and probably purchase a new canoe. Most of my canoeing experience has been fishing on small ponds and lakes in my wenonah 14' fisherman. I want to expand that to do some solo day trips and a few overnighters on bigger water. I'm looking for something light, money not really an issue (as long as my wife doesn't see this!). I'm retired, 5' 11" 230. I don't think I'll be doing much river travel, mostly lakes. What would you more experienced paddlers suggest?

Yeah, that's what I thought. ;)

First off - it goes against the popular thought here, I think, but that Fisherman is actually a pretty decent canoe for your use. And it does pretty well on up to class 2 rivers too. So - I'd hang on to that if you have the room.

Probably would advise against anything resembling a Prospector for your stated use. I love mine, but it's not what I reach for when heading to the lake. Too vulnerable to the wind having its way with it. Yeah, you can do things to mitigate that, but unless this is a "one and only for all uses", there are much better choices for primarily lake use.

At your size, I think I would be looking for something 15' or longer and about 28-32" wide for a solo.

Probably would advise against anything resembling a Prospector for your stated use. I love mine, but it's not what I reach for when heading to the lake. Too vulnerable to the wind having its way with it. Yeah, you can do things to mitigate that, but unless this is a "one and only for all uses", there are much better choices for primarily lake use.

For “mostly lakes, solo day trips and a few overnighters” I’d probably stay away from most modern Prospectors. Maybe Clipper’s 14 foot Prospector solo, but that is still a lot of freeboard lightly loaded in the wind, and you won’t find one on the east coast.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/14-foot-prospector/

At your size, I think I would be looking for something 15' or longer and about 28-32" wide for a solo.

Yeah, at 5’ 11” and 230 lbs a lake sheerline depth canoe at 15 feet would seem a good choice, maybe a little less max wide than 32 inches.

Length depends on how you pack for an overnighter. If you are a gear heavy glamper you may not want much less than 15 feet for ample below-gunwales gear storage. If you are a gram weenie one-pack tripper the extra length is unnecessary.

Beyond length and width I believe the bottom shape cross section has more to do with my wobbly, seated paddler comfort considerations than anything else. When seated in a round/elliptically bottomed canoe designed for kneeling I feel like an inebriated pig riding a unicycle, and I really don’t wanna be on my knees all the time.

My personal acid test for paddling seated: Can I turn my head and torso to look 180 degrees behind me, or grab a small dry bag or Pelican box from behind the seat and swing it forward between my knees?

If I can’t do that, at least in unchallenging conditions without an instant brace, I keep looking.

BTW, “I’m retired”. Me too, and the lighter the canoe the more it gets used these days. At a certain age weight becomes a now (and even more so in the future) consideration, especially if dropping big $’s on a canoe you may be paddling for decades to come.

I still lust after a Placid RapidFire as a lake daytrip canoe. heck, it might be enough to turn me into a gram weenie for weekend trips.

Flat bottom with a keel? Usually pretty stable and symmetrical ones paddle fine both as a solo and a tandem.

A Swift Keewaydin 15 Pack boat in Carbon Fiber is a great solo boat for a larger person and some gear on lakes! You said money was not an issue right! Lol

Mine has been great for me and I am 6'4" 230lbs with 60lbs+ of gear

Edit - only if you are looking for a solo canoe

Back