• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

My second trip of 2017 - Rabbit River to Cole Lake

Reaction score
My second trip of 2017 - Rabbit River to Cole Lake

I was feeling tired and low on energy but still wanted to get out for the May long weekend so a trip to Cole lake seemed like a great idea. The weather had other ideas but the first day was perfect. My one stop from leaving Winnipeg was at Trappers Bay for gas. It’s a great spot to grab gas prior to entering into the Nopiming provincial park area and has a very friendly crew working there.

IMG_3808-1_zpsh9rkrkkv.jpg

The start of my adventures including another late start time.

IMG_3812_zpsf7tdmok2.jpg

IMG_3821_zps63tamb7u.jpg

Some very shallow spots as per the norm. I still would bottom out the paddle and was surprised how shallow most of the route is.

IMG_3828_zps840qsgtf.jpg

Lots of short portages over the small rock rapids and beaver dams, great trails on each of the regular spots

IMG_3832_zpsmyg92b0r.jpg

IMG_3838_zpsa5usfhs2.jpg

IMG_3850_zpsitowsrml.jpg

IMG_3857_zpspz9l6inx.jpg

IMG_3860_zpsc1zboos3.jpg

One of the couples I passed on the way in. I was trying to give a link to my other trip from the start of the year but was failing miserably on remembering the link. If you found me through your google search here is the link that I was recommending.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...1st-adventure-of-2017-nw-ontario-27-5-km-loop

I did check the weight of all the gear and I was at 85lbs with the canoe included. This included several pounds of unneeded gear such as IPads etc.

IMG_3861_zpscldvmz5j.jpg

I was allowed to pass on the second port and was on my own again till hitting Cole Lake.

IMG_3870_zpsya4fagis.jpg

IMG_3872_zpst1j6hvfn.jpg

IMG_3874_zps39lnhqbc.jpg

IMG_3891_zpsyk3dazn1.jpg

IMG_3912_zpsuir5yd8n.jpg

IMG_3923_zpscvdkxinf.jpg

My very graceful drag it through the mud port.. lol

IMG_3935_zpsnrr57goi.jpg

And finally on Cole lake!!! I was surprised at how many small power boats are in on this system. Must be tough with all the ports to get in this far.

IMG_3950_zpspdad4xgg.jpg

A special thanks for the offer from the crew at Camp # 11. I regret saying no but was already in my anti-social – solo mind frame for the weekend! I can’t believe how fast you got to the site! I would love to know how long the exit from the camp site to the parking lot took you as I timed myself and used 4.5 hours to get back from site #10.

My site for the next two nights…

IMG_3962_zpstjhrurt3.jpg

IMG_3969_zpsuqyyjvea.jpg

Room with a view!

IMG_3998_zpscoztruyn.jpg

A small room! My new ultralight tent system. I will do a complete list on the next post listing gear and weights.

IMG_4006_zpsswv2wsug.jpg

Day two had lots a rain for the day with short periods of clouds and drizzle.

IMG_4013_zpsx7lhfsua.jpg

IMG_4024_zpsfhx2bbwe.jpg

IMG_4027_zpsrzcpl4u4.jpg

IMG_4039_zpsxyfom6f0.jpg

As I was without any energy I hid in the tent and watched old TV shows for the rainy times…IPad to the rescue. Point if you can guess this show from the picture.

IMG_4051_zpswvznxn3x.jpg

I did have my Zombie Rabbit come visit during my night snack. I did not have a chance to get pictures during the first visit but had a second chance when he returned for a second visit. Was not worried about me at all and I was within 4’ on the first visit. Second pic he is right in front of the chair. On the first visit he was at the drybag while I was sitting down.

IMG_4052_zpsijqrwtju.jpg

IMG_4056-1_zpsxkovpcts.jpg

After a rainy night I woke up to find my tarp support was on the ground and my tarp was being a rain water collector. I did take advantage of this and refilled my water bottles.

IMG_4066-1_zpsrp2m9tnp.jpg

Now time to break camp and head back towards the truck for the days adventure

IMG_4070_zpsardjlym4.jpg

IMG_4075_zpsypnth1vp.jpg

And yes it rained. Had my wet shoes on for this trip so no boots to worry about.

IMG_4082_zpszoinwxry.jpg

IMG_4095_zpstwmirkqd.jpg

One of the new portage areas due to the busy beavers installing a new dam…

IMG_4129_zpssslakqgq.jpg

And back to the regular ports and waters. A fun trip even with all the rain and other than being a little cold was a great time. Was definitely nice with the low weight as I was so tired before even starting this trip so every pound saved was a treat! Even with the cold weather sleeping bag and rain gear and extra cloth I managed to stay under 85lbs all in. I will Post my camp gear list below..

And a final view before hitting the staging area.

IMG_4156_zpsr33pi5wv.jpg

Last edited:
A breakdown of the gear used for this trip and the weight of each. All in at under 85lbs with the canoe, camping gear, food and extras (TV, GPS, phone, cameras etc.) with 2lt of water and a filter system.

Keewaydin 15 Pack boat in Carbon Textreme Fiber – 27lbs (I did not bring the detachable yoke on this trip) This canoe is the best investment ever for the weight!!!

Bending Branches Black Pearl – my go to paddle with bent shaft at 15oz. Mine is a 48” length due to the seat at the bottom of the canoe.
Bending Branches Sunburst straight shaft – my spare paddle at 17oz

Dry Bag is a MEC SLOGG DELUXE 70 DRY PACK at 5.11lbs - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-380/Slogg-Deluxe-70-Dry-Pack This is the perfect size for me as I keep my food separate. Great support for the back too!

Food box is a pelican 1450 at 6.39lbs – I do want to change over to a Pelican Air case when funds allow – totally bite proof (mouse and bears) and water proof. Heavy but worth it when leashed to a tree at night for peace of mind.

Tent - MSR FREELITE 2 TENT – 2.76 lbs – it’s a two peson tent that’s perfect as a solo tent. Just enough room for one plus gear - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-115/Freelite-2-Tent

For the tent I use an OUTDOOR RESEARCH AIRPURGE COMPRESSION SACK in case I have to pack it wet after a shower. This way everything else stays dry – 2lbs https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-036/AirPurge-Compression-Sack

My sleeping pad is a THERM-A-REST NEOAIR XTHERM SLEEPING PAD in large at 1.26lbs with the factory stuff sack and repair kit - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-047/NeoAir-Xtherm-Sleeping-Pad best thing ever as it folds down to nothing! I would buy the full size one if I was to do it again for more support for the arms - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5041-048/NeoAir-Xtherm-Max-Sleeping-Pad

Sleeping bag was an MEC Aquila -7 sleeping bag. I Can’t find it listed any more but should be at 2.5-3lbs with the OR ultralight stuff sack- https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5030-983/Ultralight-Compression-Sacks This was a little too warm but my light summer bag would not have been warm enough.

Tarp was a RAB Siltarp 2 at 0.9lb https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5046-426/Siltarp-2-Tarp plus a bunch of cord to tie it with at +1lb

Cloth stuff sack was a sea to summit Ultra-Sil® Stuff Sack at 0.7oz these are very handy for clothing etc and I would suggest three in total as they weigh nothing http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil®+Stuff+Sack&o1=0&o2=0&o3=181-36

A small drybag for odds and ends (car keys, wallet and TP etc.) - sea to summit 5lt - Big River Dry Bag at 2.9oz - http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Big+River+Dry+Bag&o1=1&o2=1&o3=363-43

Various little items like cord and tie downs for the canoe, paddle and maps etc. and rain gear (goretex) and clothing (quick dry stuff is best) adds to the weight and extras like my IPad and pelican 1065 case are extras that add up quick for weight. My small Canon Powershot SX240HS in a pelican 1010 case make for a nice fast camera system when clipped to the vest using a carabineer.

My PFD is a ASTRAL V-Eight PFD is great for warm days and is only 1.22lbs - https://www.astraldesigns.com/shop/paddlesports/pfds/v-eight#V8GRY super comfy in the summer heat!

My camp chair is a HELINOX CHAIR ONE at 2lbs and is worth it for the comfort at camp - https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5031-086/Chair-One

My food was caned dinners and fruit and cookies and buns with chess and other heavy stuff so that and the food box add a lot to the total weight. My food box alone was 19lbs for 4 days worth of stuff.

The Keen water shoes were a bonus on this trip and socks helped to stay warm - http://www.keenfootwear.com/p/M-MCK...MCKENZIE-II_color=1016532&cgid=activity_water

Just wanted to provide the list so others can provide better ideas etc. and for those that have asked.

You head into Nopiming for 4 days to watch Star Trek?? Did the wife take away your TV remote privileges?
Nice country out there.

Last edited:
We haven't been up to Cole lake yet, it is usually crazy in there on weekends. We do go in to the first lake type spot and camp on the island at Thanksgiving though. We had to wade the first set of the river after the put in that one year.

We left Sunday after the all night rain and beat the NE wind and more rain.

Chairs, a luxury item for sure.

You head into Nopiming for 4 days to watch Star Trek?? Did the wife take away your TV remote privileges?
Nice country out there.

Too funny, not Star Trek so no point for you. What do you do if stuck in a tent storm bound for most of a day? 3 days only and it's a great area to be in with all the canoe routes!

We haven't been up to Cole lake yet, it is usually crazy in there on weekends. We do go in to the first lake type spot and camp on the island at Thanksgiving though. We had to wade the first set of the river after the put in that one year.

We left Sunday after the all night rain and beat the NE wind and more rain.

Chairs, a luxury item for sure.

The lot was almost full on Saturday morning and only a handful of cars on Monday. I think the rain shorted most trips. I have yet to detour into the first lake area. I think I am missing out! I could not imagine the fun with a low water level, it would be a take your canoe for a walk type trip. Lol I am jealous of your trip even with the ice on the side of the lake! You made the right call on the weather. 2lbs for a chair is worth it!

Those looked like cold grey skies Icey, glad you hung in there. Storm bound is no fun. It was nice to see you get out regardless.
Thanks for this peek at early season paddling.

Last edited:
Cole Lake is a nice off season or mid week trip, although it often dries right up in the fall. Heyyyy that sunset pic looks familiar..lol. That was a beautiful evening.
I find myself having boat envy. The too heavy canoe is one of my pressing issues currently. I am just not willing to shell out the hard cash for one like yours although it is nice to dream. I did buy a tent last week ....North Face stormbreak 2...I looked at the Elixir 2 and it was pretty sweet but again, price was the issue. I was scoping out the Mec Slogg bag like you have. I was thinking something a little smaller like that for Karin. We currently use Eureka 115 packs and I take my old surplus ruck, because I like it.
How many carries do you get away with? We are doing three.

I have a good trip suggestion for you.....Wallace Lake...Leaf Lake...Kosteck..and back. Or even just to Leaf. You would love it.

Christy

2nd trip of 2017...lucky you. Thanks for posting all the links to your gear choices. Nice to see what other people are using out there.

Those looked like cold grey skies Icey, glad you hung in there. Storm bound is no fun. It was nice to see you get out regardless.
Thanks for this peek at early season paddling.

Thanks, It was nice with a lazy rain day at camp! I was glad for the last day too even while paddling in the rain as it adds character to the trip!

Cole Lake is a nice off season or mid week trip, although it often dries right up in the fall. Heyyyy that sunset pic looks familiar..lol. That was a beautiful evening.
I find myself having boat envy. The too heavy canoe is one of my pressing issues currently. I am just not willing to shell out the hard cash for one like yours although it is nice to dream. I did buy a tent last week ....North Face stormbreak 2...I looked at the Elixir 2 and it was pretty sweet but again, price was the issue. I was scoping out the Mec Slogg bag like you have. I was thinking something a little smaller like that for Karin. We currently use Eureka 115 packs and I take my old surplus ruck, because I like it.
How many carries do you get away with? We are doing three.

I have a good trip suggestion for you.....Wallace Lake...Leaf Lake...Kosteck..and back. Or even just to Leaf. You would love it.

Christy

That sounds like an intense trip for a weekend warrior like me. 45km with multiply ports x2 might be a bit much for a weekend adventure. I was saying the same thing with your sunset photos from the trip report! I think we all got spoiled with the view that night! A Oct trip to Rabbit would definitely put you in the low water season!?

The boat envy might be worth looking into. The lighter weight makes it possible to do more! Would be very sad to see if you sold the whole collection to get two ultralight solo boats but it may help on some of your crazy portages. I would suffer trying to move a 60lb canoe down some of my trails. The lighter gear is a huge cost but so worth it in the end for comfort! Make a list with the weight beside each item. It will open your eyes to the items that can save you lots of pounds.

I am taking it easy with two trips on each port but could suffer with everything in one trip if I needed to. The Mec bag is great at a 70lt size. Small enough that you won’t make it too heavy! The hip belt is a huge plus for the comfort while carrying the weight. A compression bag for the sleeping bags saves a lot of room too!

2nd trip of 2017...lucky you. Thanks for posting all the links to your gear choices. Nice to see what other people are using out there.

Thanks, I am very happy with getting out twice already and most of my stuff now is at a weight that is more comfortable for me. I just need to get in shape now! Lol

Back