• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

My newish Fast Bucksaw

Reaction score
I didn't notice a post about this model of bucksaw so I thought I'd mention it. Sorry if this a redundant post. I have, for years, used a metal triangular saw on canoe trips. I didn't really like it due to the shape limiting what you can cut and length of stroke so I started looking at more traditional wood bucksaws. And I found this guy. It has some nice features. Wingnuts on aluminum rod don't come off so you can't lose or misthread them. The stretcher or brace has 3 rectangular pieces inlet into the top that fit into the handles when folded back for storage. This holds the whole thing together when you put it away. There are shock cords that are integral to the stretcher so you can't lose them either. So you don't have to buy a sleeve to put everything in because it all stays together by itself. The saw has a 21" blade. Made of maple with a linseed oil finish. Tips my postal scale at 15 ounces.

It has been fine for cutting up 3-4" pine kindling for the woodstove. Teeth have some offset and of course replacements are available. www.fastbucksaw.com. I'm a happy camper so far. It's a nice complement to my GB small forest axe.

Mark 20170114_134032.jpg 20170114_133523.jpg

I have one of those triangular cutting contraptions too. It's been okay, but as you say, limited.
Oiled maple sounds like quality to me. Nice.
Thanks mark s.

Looks nice, but due to shoulder problem that limits me pushing a saw, I use a pull cut fixed pruning saw.
Turtle

Nice saw, I also have an old Schmitt Pack Saw and it will last me for as long as I will need it. I bet your Fast will last you a long time too, good saw. I like those 3 rectangular pieces that hold it together when packed away, good feature.

I have this same saw. I've been very happy with it. I need to replace the shock cord which has lost it elasticity after years of use and abuse. I recommend using peg tooth blades (no raker teeth - just cutting teeth) for our dry wood use. They make a big difference as far as speed of cut.

I also have the same GB SFA. Both great tools and a pleasure to use.

No Title

Looking forward to tripping with this light weight (10 pounds when full of gas and oil.) New model for Jonsered (cs2236t) but same saw as Husky T435 and discontinued Redmax top handle.

Attachments

• photo6005.JPG
    photo6005.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
I just poked around your youtubes. Nice stuff. Is that a Hilleberg I see?

I bought one of the Schmitt Pack Saws back in the late 60's or early 70's. Very few trips that I didn't have it along. I took it to a a Vietnamese food store that advertised saw sharpening twice, the second time the old guy told me in very strongly accented Vietnamese to not bring it again as it was very hard to sharpen. Forty five years at least and I still use it, I think I got my money's worth on that purchase, just like a wood/canvas canoe most all of the parts can be replaced if need be. I made a copy of it, out of straight grain birch, only made it bigger for a 30 inch (76.2 mm) blade. I like the bigger one for the longer stroke but, harder to fit into a pack. When I made the big saw I had in mind a big White Pine that blew over in a wind storm that blocked part of one of my favorite camp sites on a Minnesota Lake where I still like to camp. The tree was hard to crawl under an even harder to climb over. The bigger saw cut it up into blocks for seats and a couple of log benches, along with lots of firewood. I don't think the lake gets many visitors as the benches are still in place. The blocks have been split an burned up for fire wood however.

Last edited:
Back