• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

My new life

Reaction score
My priorities sure changed in a hurry when I decided to sell my house and buy another one on the spur of the moment. Lots of time has been spent remodeling the new house and getting the old one ready to turn over to the new owner. Gone is my big beautiful shop but I love the new location and I also love not owing the bank any money.

The house is in a wonderful area with lots of small lakes and public land that sees very little traffic. I've been coming out there since I was a little boy riding on my dad's shoulders and it might be my favorite place in the world. Figured this would probably be the only chance I ever had at living there. House isn't much to write home about but it was solidly built and will serve me well. Still lots of remodeling work to go. I work there and sleep there but I don't know if you could say I live there yet. It was a big relief to get the new septic in and electrical and plumbing squared away.

20170604_018 by Alan, on Flickr

There's an attached 2 car garage on the west side of the house that had been turned into a 3 season room. I'll set up my shop in there and will have enough room in the basement to build canoes with a big window for taking them in/out.

It's up on a hill and the best part is the view from the deck. It's only a 50' walk from my driveway to a spot where I can drop the canoe in the water. I'm amazed how cool the property stays in hot weather with a south breeze coming off the water and lots of trees overhead.

20170604_045 by Alan, on Flickr

There's also an unattached 20x30 building that's in pretty tough shape but it will make nice storage for boats and lumber. Here's a picture from move-in day. Nicest boat storage I've ever had.

P7180708 by Alan, on Flickr

But despite all that's been going on in my life I guess I didn't feel like I had enough on my plate so I got bit by the sawmill bug again and finally acted on the impulse. Got a good deal on a hydraulic mill that's been sitting out in the weeds for 12+ years. Best, and most amazing, part was that it was in town off all places. Went to look at it in the morning and pulled it to the shop later that afternoon. Got both motors running, which was a big relief, but still lots of work to go replacing chains, rollers, and getting everything ready to saw again. Hope to have it going yet this fall.

mill1 by Alan, on Flickr

mill3 by Alan, on Flickr

And

Congratulations on your new life and following your dream. It certainly looks like you have a fine piece of paradise.

I was just saying to MDB this morning (on our daily 5 mile walk) how you haven't been very active on the forum lately...probably because of a new house purchase. And here you are!! Haha.
Too cool that you got a sawmill, I have been looking for a good deal on one for a few years now.
And you can change anything at the new place except the location, and it looks like a beautiful spot.
Funny how things change so quickly, isn't it?
What river is that?

I can testify to the Great location, Alan has ! When first I looked out from the front of his new house, I thought what an Awesome view !

I know you've been busier than a beaver, building your new lodge !
Yes now that you are on a lake, I think we can call it "The Lodge " !!!

Sorry ! But my first question on the saw mill, is How long of a log can you mill ? You know I'll be looking for cedar !

The saw looks new enough, that parts should be available, or at least you can fabricate them !

Jim

I'm really very pleased for you Alan, and excited just thinking about the prospects of you wearing a silly happy grin every day for years to come. No down time for you any time soon, until of course you put down your tools, brush off the sawdust shavings and step out of the sun and into the cool under your very own shade tree pondering and pinching yourself...yes, this dream is real. The house decision was a very good one, but the mill decision was an inspirational one.
Jim is right, you are now the proud owner of the Canoe Tripping Lodge. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8fSwzRzKGg

I don't envy many people in life, but owning a house free of payments is one!! Good for you, look like it is a great location!

Cheers

congrats, since you're free and clear on your mortgage let us know when we can order the deeply discounted cedar strips from your new mill :)

Congrats on a brilliant move Alan. This is one nice looking property. I have a similar spot but without the water. You have chosen well my friend. Enjoy the summer and think about your next epic.

Christine

Hmmmmm, you've inspired me Alan.............so if I quit drink'n, maybe I could be mortgage free too. Looks like a very sweet place, I'm sure with your dedicated working style you'll have it all fixed up in no time!

Looks Great Alan, with your skills you will have a beautiful home in an ideal location and mortgage free! Hard to beat that. Congratulations

Hmmmmm, you've inspired me Alan.............so if I quit drink'n, maybe I could be mortgage free too.

Yes sir. You too can be mortgage free just like me. Just follow my simple plan: No booze, no cigarettes, no meat, no life, and no sex. Simple as that.

Hmmm.....maybe I should get another mortgage....Perhaps then I too could be a rock star in a band with beautiful women tossing their unmentionables at my feet.

It took a while to figure out what the sawmill was but it's a Timberking B-16 from the early 90's. Parts are still available and the company has been good to work with so far. Capacity is 16' long and 32" diameter. Would love to saw up some cedar logs but first I'd have to find some good cedar logs! I have a ton of ash and lots of oak waiting for me though. It's going to be hard keeping on task with the house since all I want to do now is get that mill going.

What river is that?

Not a river but a slough. Cunningham slough. Just to the West of me (couple minute walk) is Ingham Lake. All of this is inside the Ingham/High Lake wetlands complex.

The new house isn't as close to the river as my old one but still only a 10 minute drive and I'll be paddling sections I haven't done since I was a little kid with my dad.

Alan

I am oddly envious. I would not want to ever again move house and home; after 25 years I have this place dang near perfect in form and function.

But I do envy that water view down the driveway, and the 20x30 “storage” building. The odd part is that I kinda envy the opportunity to design and set up a new shop in the garage and basement.

Odder still I envy the opportunity to tackle some overgrowth and pruning and general maintenance, to always have some little project to tackle that shows immediately pleasing results.

Really looking forward to seeing the Timberking back in action. That portable sawmill opens new worlds of possibilities. I don’t know Iowa but for I-80, 380 and Rte 20 keep trucking. What interesting mature tree species are there to feed into the mill and rick in that storage building?

I know what you mean about the allure of old familiar and familial places. I was paddling on the upper Conowingo Pool, below Holtwood dam on the Susquehanna, a couple days ago. My family had a cabin on the ridgetop above the river, and I spent every weekend and summer between the ages of 8 and 16 roaming the land and paddling the water in that rural part of southern York County.

45 years later I still know that 10 square mile patch of ground better than any other place on earth, and despite the changes it still pleases me to return to the stomping grounds of my youth.

Just follow my simple plan: No booze, no cigarettes, no meat, no life, and no sex. Simple as that.

Not sure what I’d give up first on that list. Sex maybe.

"...and it might be my favorite place in the world."

Nice deal and congratulations on following one of your dreams. Hopefully it opens up another interesting and fulfilling chapter in your life.

I am sure you are already deep in mental discussions regarding the layout and looks of your new wood shop...(revamped of existing or new build if fortune smiles down)

Back