• Happy Scream Day! 😱

More snowshoeing

Reaction score
It was a really nice sunny day the other day with a high of around minus 12 so I grabbed my gear and scooted out to do some shoeing. Since we had been having some snow lately I hoped for good cover in the bush. I was not disappointed. Three feet of nice powdery snow. It was warm in the bush too, with no wind and lots of sunshine. I hiked most of the trip with just a shirt and fleece jacket over ski pants.
I have been seeing a steady increase in my stamina since retiring and being able to devote myself to conditioning and not wasting my energy at work every day. Three hours of breaking trail in three foot snow and I was not wiped out at the end of it. Glad to be back at the road mind you, but not exhausted. This bodes well for my summer plans.

All in all it was a great day with deep woods, quiet, a nice little fire and a feeling of being " back ". I had one small harness issue but that was easy to remedy. I started off on a snowmobile trail to get me into the bush and then stepped off onto a game trail that led me around in a big right hand loop, with a little bushwhacking where necessary. Considering I walked for 3.0 hours using dead reckoning navigation, I figure 300m south of the car was pretty good for an egress point.

I am hoping to get some more walks in before it all begins to melt.

Christine

Attachments

• photo11068.jpg
    photo11068.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11069.jpg
    photo11069.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11070.jpg
    photo11070.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11071.jpg
    photo11071.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11072.jpg
    photo11072.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11073.jpg
    photo11073.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11074.jpg
    photo11074.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11075.jpg
    photo11075.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11076.jpg
    photo11076.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 0
Great to hear how well you ended a hard workout! Nice to hear that snow report too.

Nice pics, that's some deep snow. I like the fire and pizza too, glad you are enjoying retirement, you can do what you want when you want.

Thanks. The pizza was a last minute inspiration....the wood smoke made it really tasty.

I do like having the time to do what I want. I fixed my friends snowshoes, maybe I can get her out with me next time. It was a fun day for sure.

Christine

Congrats on reaching retirement! Maybe with all that snow fire season will be mild this year.

Enjoyed your post, Iskweo. I'm living vicariously in such posts as we are having a very weird winter here in central Wyoming this year. Actually, its really restricted to a small region around Casper where we seem to be just missing all the storms. We've had only one good snowfall of 6" or so but the temps were so warm it was gone in 2 days. Lots of little snowfalls scattered but no accumulation. Even my big ol' snowblower is feelin' lonely ;)

I haven't been able to strap on my 'shoes for a local romp yet. Heading out next weekend to the Bighorn mtns for some snowshoeing adventure as my dog would really like to get out and play in her favorite season.

Thanks for the post and enjoy your undoubtedly well deserved retirement.l

Thanks for taking us along on your trip. Your pizza photo brought back many memories from long ago. My Dad and I would go on weekend fishing float trips and we always brought a frozen pizza to rewarm over the fire on Saturday night. It was a fun time so thanks for kicking those memories back into the forefront of my mind.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

I primarily use modern snowshoes but I definently have an appreciation for those of the traditional variety. How long have you had those puppies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back