• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Modify or start over?

Reaction score

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​ So the strongback is 16' and it needs to be 24.5' - do I attempt to add on, one end or both ends or do I just start over? All the station widths need to change too.

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

I built my strongback by bolting together 8' pieces of plywood to 16'. It would probably be rigid enough to add on four-foot extensions at each end also with bolts... with another four-foot overlap with the existing strongback to ensure rigidity, so each extension would be eight feet.

Hi Gene

You can do it about anyway you want !. I've always used the T top strongback, because that's how the plans I had showed. A couple of 2"x 10 or 12" x 12' planks, on top of a 2 x 4 or 6 frame underneath, would work.

The Box beam would seem the most sensible, and least expensive ?. I'd make at least 3 legs, probably 4 and casters on all !

24.5?.....you will need to have at least two pieces anyway. I would just add on the the existing one. It might be a bit of a job to get it true and square but not impossible.

I use I-joists from the lumberyard. Relatively cheap, lightweight, flat, and you can get them as long as you want. You don't need a super deep one since it will be supporting little weight in comparison to its intended purpose (floor joist). Screw on some legs, bracing and a top, and you're ready to go. On something that long I'd recommend at extra set of legs in the middle not so much for vertical support but rather to keep it from moving/flexing horizontally (bowing). Screw the feet to the floor.

As for extending your current strongback I can't see the pictures you posted so unsure of the construction. I think it would certainly be doable, especially if you added an extra set of legs for support under the splice.

For setting up forms I prefer a method that doesn't rely on the strongback for vertical alignment. I use a laser level so it doesn't matter if the strongback has has some high or low spots. A similar method would make your strongback extension much simpler since it wouldn't have to be a perfect transition, it only needs to not move during construction.

Alan

So digging around behind the shop I found two 2"x12"x24' boards left over from when the shop was made and one was in really good shape. Think I'm using that and I'll extend the current strongback in such a way that it will be easy to go back to a sixteen footer.

Back