• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Maskwa reboot

Reaction score
I took my friends daughter and niece for a paddle on the Maskwa this week. A nice day trip. They are not very adept paddlers but they were doing good by the end of the day. We actually managed an on the water transfer between boats which was cool but they ended up arse over teakettle three times by themselves. We just went up to the falls and then came back and cooked hotdogs and swam at the rapids.

They loved it but I feel like I was run over by a truck. lol.

Attachments

• photo7462.jpg
    photo7462.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7463.jpg
    photo7463.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7464.jpg
    photo7464.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7465.jpg
    photo7465.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7466.jpg
    photo7466.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7467.jpg
    photo7467.jpg
    260.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7468.jpg
    photo7468.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7469.jpg
    photo7469.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7470.jpg
    photo7470.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7471.jpg
    photo7471.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7472.jpg
    photo7472.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7473.jpg
    photo7473.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7474.jpg
    photo7474.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 0
Love it. Those young trippers will have plenty of stories to tell for years to come. Auntie Christine will be in those tales fer sure.
You must be playing bon cop - bad cop. First trip you take er easy. Next trip they carry the saw and gas, lol.
The weather cooperated too. Perfect. But careful. You may have started an annual thing. (Which could be really cool).

I would have liked to get them out overnight. These are city girls though and not used to actual work. I think taking one at a time might be ok but I spent a lot of time " herding cats" with both of them. I try make it fun but I am old and set in my ways and after a day or two I am sure the Mcpl would leak out. Especially if we are dealing with sharp edged tools. As it was we had a fun day and even I enjoyed it.

I think the best part for me was teaching them to start a fire with the ferro rod and steel. I showed them the technique ( pay attention to my demonstration here) and they each managed to make fire with it. They had ample opportunities to learn how to empty a swamped canoe also...lol.

I may take one of them out with me this fall to do some clearing.

Christy

That looks like a great day. Just need to make a deal with them that you provide the adventures and they carry the canoes at each of the ports! ;)

What a great day out with some kids who will remember this adventure for the rest of their lives. Thanks for taking the time to introduce them to canoeing and the great outdoors. All kids, be they inner city or rural, need to spend more time like this with an adult that cares.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Christy, if you want to take them for an overnighter, consider Seagrim's Chain. I really like it for introducing people to paddling and backcountry camping. It's a very short route and offers great camping, swimming and fishing. Busy on weekends though.

Back