• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Map Case

Reaction score
Last season while prepping for a trip I got it in my head that I needed a map case so I decided to make one...why not right?
As luck would have it I had all the materials on hand just had to design it and build it, and this is what I came up with, hardly a masterpiece but it did hold a map, so in that regard it was a success.

It's a pretty heavy piece of clear vinyl folded in half, with the fold up across the top. The leather trim has velcro sewn to the bottom and the leather sides are mostly there for a place to put the grommets, and seal up the sides. I use homemade bungee dealee bobs to attach it to the thwart. It's clear on both sides so if your map fold is agreeable you can just flip the whole thing over and keep on paddling.

The good news is on the trip last year I didn't have to test the rain shedding ability, the bad news is that I don't really know how well it keeps out the rain. Either way is does a good job of keeping the map from blowing around, and it was a fun project. Furthermore, even with such easy access to my map I still managed to get lost! :)

What do you all use for map cases or do you forgo their use all together? Prior to this unit, I used a large ziplock, which was adequate, but sometimes I just enjoy making something I don't need but has the aesthetic I want.

map%2Bcase%2B%281%2Bof%2B1%29.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I just fold the map(s) we're using for the day and stuff them into a fanny pack that's tied to the seat struts. Over the years my maps have become shredded, worn and nearly useless with age, but I kind of like that. I laugh every time I pull out the "collection". Old dogs.

Very nice case, very classy looking. I have had very good look with the SealLine medium size map case. It has proven to be durable, easy to see through, waterproof and doesn't seem to scratch very easily. It is fairly inexpensive. The only problem I seem to have is getting it open. The ZipLoc closure is fairly stiff and there isn't much of a lip on which to grab.

That's a very nice piece of work. I also use SealLine cases - they work well but are not nearly so attractive.

Thanks guys. Like I said, I like the look, but cant vouch for the rain shedding capabilities. But I typically buy waterproof maps anyway I just like how the map stays put and I don't have to dig it out of my pocket every time I want to have a look.

That would look nice with my outfit, much nicer than my SealLine. Are you a self taught sewer? I watched your video about making a stuff sack and that was some nice sewing. I worry so much about running my finger under the needle, it's hard to concentrate, ouch.

Anyway, it's a good looking map case Thanks for sharing it here.

Thanks Robin, I started out self taught, then I took an interest in sailmaking at one point and took a couple of sailmaking courses, where I learned quite a bit. A sewing machine is just like any other power tool so I give it the appropriate amount of respect, and I sew slow enough that getting my finger in the needle is unlikely.

On my ultralite trips,I have the apropriate sections of my map copied. They are lighter I just fold and stuff in my pocket and I don't worry if they get damaged. I have trouble with reflections from plastic map cases.
Turtle

Nice looking case. I have something similar picked up from a military surplus store. It has olive drab canvas around the edges instead of leather. Plenty big too - around 18"x18". Got caught in a quick rainstorm without quick access to a hat once (bad packing on my part). I ended up strapping the map case to my head and it worked to keep the noggin' reasonably dry. When you're out solo you don't have to worry about judgment from the fashion police.

By the way, your Youtube channel has some great vids. Really like the DIY swedish reflector oven from aluminum flashing. I don't really bake much but might try to make one and give it a whirl.

Thanks Murat, we're big fans of the reflector oven. I finally broke down and bought the real version of the reflector oven.... much better than the one I built as far as stability goes, works about the same tho'.
Big fan of your paddles BTW. I just ordered the Graham Warren book, should be here tomorrow, hope to have some new paddles in my future, won't be near as fancy as yours tho'.

I really like your map case Red. The leather is a nice touch. The dealy bobs are perfect too. I'm embarrassed to admit that I use a ziplock bag. It works fine, but it's far from perfect. It's so light that any gust of wind will pick it up off a pack in front of me and sweep it into the water. That's why it sits on the bottom of the canoe between my feet. Ever try to walk while looking at your feet? Yeah, paddling can be like that. Look up. Look down. Look up. Especially troublesome when you need reading glasses like me. Hanging it from the thwart in front of me would work. Hanging a proper map case from the thwart in front of me would work best. I'll make this upgrade this season; it'll be nice to paddle without squinting at my feet. I really like your map case.

so many digital maps these days...

backcountry skiing this winter, i switched from a paper-map in a vinyl map-case to a digital map, printed and laminated at my local quick-copy place...about $3 a sheet. large-scale, i punch a hole in the corner and hang it off a retractable id-badge holder clipped on my backpack, when i need it, i just reach behind me and pull it around. I love, -L-O-V-E- large sheet topo maps, but this is such a handy system, i'm contemplating it for canoe-trips...mebbe not the retractable leash...perhaps some clear gorilla tape and a tri-fold arrangement...nice to have flat maps that will take semi-permanent markers and are almost totally element proof...

We use a Seal-Line case, looked good in the store and held River Map guides like it was made for them.

The zip lock top is a total fail for us, about all it does is keep the guide book pages from flapping in the wind

Try some silicone spray or 303 Protectant on the SealLine map case's closure.
It needs to be pressed down completely and firmly along the entire length.
We have had no problems after doing this.

We print off maps for our route and then laminate them...no worries about getting wet then. And if we go back there again we always have the set handy.

Red - Your map case looks great. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it but I still go with one of two things: a one gallon zip-loc bag or purchasing water proof/wind proof maps. Both work, at least for my needs but not nearly as nice as what you've made.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

My ideal map case search continues. I have resolved my need for a folder topo or paper map case:

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...ussions/navigation/376-looking-for-a-map-case

But I still really want something to train and restrain a folded open Belknap’s River Guide.

We use a Seal-Line case, looked good in the store and held River Map guides like it was made for them.

The zip lock top is a total fail for us, about all it does is keep the guide book pages from flapping in the wind

If you mean those ubiquitous Belknap’s River Guides which Seal-line case did you find that fits them?

I have an old Seal-line case or two and for what they’re worth I would just a well carry a two gallon Zip-lock.

They are a PITA to open, extract, and reinsert mapbooks every time I flip a page. The one’s with Zip-lock closures are less than ideal in a windblown sand or grit environment and the multi-fold over Velcro ones even more of an open and close PITA. And nothing I have found properly fits a folded open Belknap’s.

I’d love to find a long rectangle case, something around 18 x 7 inches, made for Belknap’s map books. Not so much for the unneeded waterproofieness as to keep the book folded open and unflappable. Or maybe not.

Having struck out finding a map case designed for a Belknap’s I’m thinking of DIYing some kind of long, narrow double-clipboard for just that purpose. I’d still need a map case for my non-waterproofed paper topos and other maps, but it would be handy to have a Belknap’s guide held folded-open on a map board.

A map board would hold a Belknap’s unflappably, make it easier to changes pages and be easier to read without the “clear” vinyl map case smear that becomes increasingly obscured when rain or splash covered.

I think I have a new design project. Hmmm, how to secure the ends of an open map book? Maybe just a fixed nylon spring clip at either end of the board, or an elastic band at either end?

I suspect this has already been tried, tested and improved by western river runners and rafters. I friends who likewise carry Belknap’s River guides on western trips and something light, durable and easy functional to hold open those books would make nice gifts.

Ideas?

Looks like a solid map case you made.

I use a commercial map case. I'm not sure what brand but it has a roll-over top with velcro closure. There are tears developing along the corners where the clips are which I taped up for the time being. The case is bungeed to my pack, so I might have put some stress on the corners when I throw it on my back.

Back