• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Mac and Cheese powders?

Reaction score
In the off season I think a lot about how to make my meals better. Today I am thinking about Mac and Cheese. Has anyone in Canada found a good dried Mac and Cheese powder to use? Currently I just use a pack of Kraft cheese powder from a KD box.

It appears that Amazon Ca offers it as well. Which powdered cheese have you tried? Big Daddy or Cheddar?

I haven't tried the cheese yet. I buy powdered egg, spinach, and kale from them. I've heard good reviews about the cheeses.

Hoosier cheese powder is available at the Canadian Amazon... it gets some good reviews and there isn't much to the bad ones.

https://www.amazon.ca/Cheddar-Chees...&qid=1486762364&sr=8-1&keywords=powder+cheese

Something that works for me is dissolving some beef boullion powder plus spices in boiling water in a bowl then adding spag and cheese onto it (thin strands like capellini, holds the broth very well)... it becomes something halfway between ramen and mac and cheese. Parmesan's also good on top.

On a canoe trip some soup mix, like french onion soup powder, or chicken soup powder would probably work... and salami, can't forget the salami.

I did not even think about Knorr. That is a great idea. I tried the Bulk Barn stuff last year and was not very impressed. I think it had been sitting in the bin a long time. It tasted very stale.
Frozentripper what kind of cheese do you add on top of your Capellini?

Ick. I take real cheese. It keeps for a couple of weeks if kept cool in a damp terry towel.
A nice smoked gruyere

The Hoosier Hill Cheddar Cheese powder that I have is powdered cheese rather than cheese sauce. It probably needs some milk and flour to make cheese sauce. I use the powdered cheese on popcorn.

Pbutkovich... what cheese do I use on capellini... it's usually grated cheddar, mild or medium with some sour cream added to make the cheese melt in smoothly. Parmesan on top maybe.

Wgiles, you're right that the previous link to Hoosier is the cheese only powder. Below is the mac and cheese powder which should make the smoother sauce, although the earlier link also included reviews of the cheese-only powder in making mac and cheese.

https://www.amazon.ca/Hoosier-Hill-...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=F81A5QQHDP9HH6C1T9KF

Depending on the weather and length of trip, you can just take cheese. I have been using a cheese powder that I buy in bulk from Superstore...I guess Presidents choice. Probably any major chain with a bulk section will have it if you look.

If you get the family sized KD and break it down it comes with a larger cheese pack. Then just save the spare macaroni to use in soups or whatever. I repack all my KD into zip locks to save space and not have the boxes to deal with.

Just a little update on how the mac and cheese with broth experiments are going... adding beef broth to both capellini with cheese and plain old Kraft dinner, improves both to the point where I'm never going to have mac and cheese by itself again. Since ramen noodles in broth often have some kind of meat added, next step is to find out what goes best. Maybe cooked salami, like in the vid above. Gotta try it, bring on the salami.

PS... since food in the great outdoors always seems to taste so much better than at home, I'm expecting great things from this. Bannock being the prime example... so much better at the campfire.

I found a shaker of cheddar cheese powder from Kraft like their Parmesan cheese shakers. Haven't tried it yet though but looks promising. Also you could try popcorn flavouring.

I haven't seen the Kraft cheddar cheese powder in the supermarket for several years. It was supposed to be the same cheese powder that they used in the macaroni and cheese. I used it on popcorn.

Back