• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Long Johns

Reaction score
I was wondering what all you cold winter campers use for long johns as an warming layer. I have some military issued stuff that is warm as heck and then some high tech stuff that works for squat. I even have a 1 piece fleece long john but it's a real pain for certain applications. Not gonna trust that trapdoor.

dougd

Army Polypro, I don't camp in the winter and never saw the need to buy better. It's a bit bulky but warm.

I don't have anything super warm but I wear long johns all winter long, every day, for 3-4 months. My go-to pair is what I guess would be called a mid-weight synthetic. I've probably been wearing them for 6 years and other than the elastic waist band being shot they're in remarkably good shape. They're the "Guide Series" from Gander Mountain but last I looked I don't think these exact ones exist anymore. I like them because they aren't super tight, which I think makes them warmer, but they're tight enough to not bunch up under my pants. I have another pair of lightweight synthetic long johns and they're tight. I don't like them much so only use them when I'm planning to be outside for extended periods of time at -10 and colder as a base layer under my other long johns.

I'd love to get a couple new pairs but everything I see online seems to be tight fitting. Plus I can be a real cheap skate and prefer to buy these things in the spring when they're steeply discounted in the store. But that means I'm limited on sizes and styles. So I keep struggling by with the pair I've got but on the near horizon I'd like to try my hand at sewing my own.

Alan

when winter camping, with no heavy exercise(snowshoeing) involved,my go to undies are military poly-pro extreme cold bibs. Cheap from sportsmens guide.
Turtle

Winter canoeing and backpacking I wear medium weight Smartwool. If I'm doing winter whitewater paddling I wear another layer on top of that in case I miss my roll and swim. That combination would be too hot for snowshoeing in the mountains though. Smartwool is merino and comfortable against my skin. It what I wear in my bag at night for sleepwear too. I don't have the opportunity to hot tent it.

Cheers,
Barry

While active during the day, backcountry skiing in the mountains, I use a light layer of patagucci silkweight underwear bottoms when temps are above teens, and mid-weight patagucci underwear bottoms when the temps are below the teens. My shell pants are a 3-layer goretex, medium weight fabric. On top I wear a silkweight polypro t-shirt next to skin with a light fleece zip-t on top of that, with a light synthetic vest on top of that, then a hooded synthetic jacket on top of that and a goretex shell on top of that. I take off any of those layers to regulate the heat as necessary. The key is to have multiple thin layers on top so you can adjust and not get too hot or wet.

At camp in the winter I wear the same underwear and insulation layers I skied in, then add some full zip synthetic puff pants and a big down parka on top. Those and my down booties and a warm wool hat and I'm happy as a clam. We camp in the mountains with temps down to -20 or so.

Mark

I'll second dogbrain both in how he wears his long underwear and his preferred brand. I have worn Patagonia long underwear for 25 years. Everything from tele skiing to mountaineering to winter hunting to fly fishing. If I'm not going to be moving I'll use their R1 fleece as a base layer. I will add that I got a pair of Smartwool bottoms for free, and I love them under my waders in everything but hot summer days. My favorite piece is a 15 year old Patagonia stretchy union suit, they don't make it anymore, and I cringe every time I think about not having it!

Like Alan, I wear long johns most of the winter. My current favorites are made by Parodox, and purchased at costco for about $20 per top and bottom. They are a merino wool blend comprised of 84% polyester, 11% merino wool, and 5% spandex. They are a good fit, not being overly tight or loose and baggy so they do not bunch. Additionally, the tops are zippered at the nech to allow venting. The only issue is availability, as Costco only has them late fall and early winter. Once they are out, there gone for the year.

Like Alan, I wear long johns most of the winter. My current favorites are made by Parodox, and purchased at costco for about $20 per top and bottom. They are a merino wool blend comprised of 84% polyester, 11% merino wool, and 5% spandex. They are a good fit, not being overly tight or loose and baggy so they do not bunch. Additionally, the tops are zippered at the nech to allow venting. The only issue is availability, as Costco only has them late fall and early winter. Once they are out, there gone for the year.

These are a good value. they aren't too thick, good for being active

I just looked at paradox because my surplus ECS bibs do bunch some. I didn't see any bibs? I much prefer bib bottoms because they have no cold gap and reduce bulk in the waste area.
Turtle

95% of the time, I wear surplus military LWCWUS tops and bottoms. They are lighter weight than the ECWCS underwear, but, I think, made of similar material, probably Polypropylene. Sometimes I add the waffle fleece tops and bottoms to this and rarely go to full fledged fleece long underwear. I do put on the USMC 100 weight polarfleece pullover tops occasionally. I don't see much reason to look anywhere other than military surplus.

I probably will regret writing this, but I tried pantyhose years ago before I discovered polypro. I didn't like the way they felt, and besides I actually felt colder.
Turtle

I love my Ullfrotte or Woolpower - light or medium weight depending on the situation. Great stuff. Like putting on a personal furnace.

I'll second dogbrain both in how he wears his long underwear and his preferred brand. I have worn Patagonia long underwear for 25 years. Everything from tele skiing to mountaineering to winter hunting to fly fishing.

I third that.

I have Patagucchi Capilene in three different thermal weights. I honestly would never have bought those pricey underlayers without a Pro-deal on cost, but I would now replace it in a heartbeat. That is my benchmark for gear; would I buy the exact same thing today?

Mentioned before, I do wish I had ordered the different weights in different colors. All black is great for hiding grime, not so much for figuring out which weight is which when packing from the closet.

Has anyone tried pantyhose? I thought about it but can't figure out the sizing code. ;)
Like all womens stuff pantyhose are badly designed.. There lacks an opening for #1.
Some of us gals like to pee standing with an assistive device.. Ergo the only decent underwear is for males.
I was going through the drawer while packing for Florida paddling. His drawer has six pairs long johns of various breeding.. I have two. Some are Patagonia. We have an outlet store nearby ..no way would I buy Patagucci any other way.
We have Merino wool tops but not the bottoms..

I third that.

I have Patagucchi Capilene in three different thermal weights. I honestly would never have bought those pricey underlayers without a Pro-deal on cost, but I would now replace it in a heartbeat. That is my benchmark for gear; would I buy the exact same thing today?

Mentioned before, I do wish I had ordered the different weights in different colors. All black is great for hiding grime, not so much for figuring out which weight is which when packing from the closet.

Without the pro deal I wouldn't own much of the patagucci stuff either. I've worked and played in the snow every day of the winter for most of the last 30 years. I have a big tote full of tops and bottoms. I'm guessing I've got at least 25 pairs of long underwear bottoms and possibly the same number of tops. For some reason I don't throw out the worn out stuff. I have a few pairs of bottoms in that container that are more hole than fabric. I go through the container every other year, it's like going through an old photo album. I have an old t-shirt container that's the same story.

My go-to long underwear are a pair of old polypro tops & bottoms I picked up years ago from Campmor. I now have some merino wool tops & bottoms as well but find I get too hot wearing them when I'm active. For that reason I wear the polypro items during the day and the wool at night when I'm lounging around camp or sleeping.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

If I was going to purchase new long johns I would get Core 4 Elements brand morino wool on sale for 45.00 now reg 60.00. I have a long sleeve top and a pair of boxer briefs from them that I love. This brand seems to be popular with bow hunters. I don't like spending too much on long johns though because I usually cut them off right below the knee so I can more easily ventilate when back country skiing.

I only wear the ECW bibs for sedentary camping in extreme cold, the rest of the time I wear thin base layer polypro bottoms with various over pants and various fleece shirts over a poly t shirt.
Turtle

Back