• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Reaction score
I am new to this site, and am not really certain how some things work. For example, I have been reading through several topics, which generally have multiple likes. Yet the summary for that topic often says 0 likes. Why would that be?

Fair enough, sweeper. But there is some inconsistency. Next to a topic is "Statistics," which includes Responses, Views, and Likes. I looked at a topic of today, "Up Potter's Creek," under Canadian Trip Reports, which the Statistics say 0 responses, 17 views and 1 like. If you look at the topic, there is indeed 1 like.

Now compare this to "Wollaston Lake to Goose Lake." The Statistics say 160 responses, 13,220 views, and 0 likes. Yet if you cruise through the topic, there are obviously many likes! How does one explain this?

One of the quirks of the site.

Are you going to pay an IT guy to correct likes in the summary?

Last edited:
IT costs anywhere from 20+ $ per hour to 80+ per hour, believe me I have done the research. For a site that is funded by generous members during an annual fund raiser somethings just can't be addressed without a large financial hit on a very limited budget.

dougd

I ran the site up until last fall and I am responsible for introducing the like button. I received a suggestion from a member that a like button would be a good idea, BushcraftUSA uses them and they seem to be well received. BushcraftUSA also has thousands of members, lots of daily activity, tons of ads, pay as you go classifieds and a professional staff.

We have 800 plus members and the one admin, Doug (I love ya Doug!)

So I asked my IT guy to install it and he did, I don't remember the cost and it was probably included in other work he was doing but it must have been low. Like any change we got a couple of boo birds complain and I was immediately sorry I even bothered. It's not used much and just not worth the bother here. Some things just don't warrant the cost to repair on this small site and this is one of them.

Some related information:
This site runs on a yearly fund raiser. When I was running it, a good fund raiser raised $1800-2000. (Thanks to all those who chipped in) Just the hosting fee by a company named Siteground is $1050 a year, plus some added fees for extra security. I used a guy in the Philippines for IT work and he got somewhere around $25 an hour. He was good but not great, greatness is expensive, so sometimes the site has minor glitches like the inconsistent like button, the cut and paste problem, cell phone posting yaddy yada.
Updates from vBulletin come out from time to time and for security reasons it is important to install them. The costs for them to be installed and the odd glitch (mostly new member posting issues) required that the left over funds from the fund raiser where spent wisely. This continues to this day.

Thanks for all the information guys. Much appreciated. I kinda liked the likes I was receiving during my first postings. Positive feedback encouraged me to keep going. I know that an actual positive response is even better, but sometimes it is easier just to hit the like button. Sort of like an electronic pat on the back.

So when do these annual fund raisers take place?

"Wollaston Lake to Goose Lake." The Statistics say 160 responses, 13,220 views, and 0 likes. Yet if you cruise through the topic, there are obviously many likes! How does one explain this?

There was a previous discussion somewhere on the board about the users ability to choose to enable or disable the Like feature for their posts. Perhaps Alan Gage has the likes feature disabled (or not enabled, I do not remember exactly how that works and have never bothered to look).

Out of curiosity, Mike, I was looking for a such a toggle switch for the like button in my accounts/settings. Did not find one.

Likes = Reputation Level

From the FAQ page:

You can build your reputation on the site by posting informative and constructive content. This in turn will encourage people to follow your posts, press the like button on different posts and they could even subscribe to your content.
How do I give reputation?
To give reputation, click on the like icon in the relevant post. This will signify you like the content and will add to the user's reputation. If you click on the like icon again, you will remove that reputation from the user.
How do I know what reputation I have received?
You will be notified when someone likes one of your posts. In addition to this, your general reputation will appear within the user information of your posts. These show as small graphics or pips under your Avatar. As your reputation inceases, the number of pips or graphics will increase.
How much reputation is given? What is reputation power?
If the administrator has enabled this, the amount of reputation that each user will give (or take away if negative) is shown in the user's posts as 'Reputation Power'. The value of the reputation power is determined by the administrator and may increase over time depending on the settings they have applied.
What if I don't want anyone to see my reputation?
You can disable the display of your reputation by going to your Account Settings and selecting the checkbox for Reputation Level.

I have been in the middle of a sweeping change in our household. Having my wife push another newer cell phone into my hands this past summer and told to use it and not lose it I'm finally catching up with this fast paced world. I love email and texting. Telephoning not so much. Our landline went down and we didn't even notice. When our kids finally notified us about it we called Ma Bell. It went something like this "Our home phone doesn't work. You'll get to it next week between the hours of what and what? Okay, well in that case you might as well just cut it off. Oh, and you might as well cut off our tv too. Yes we're serious. No we're not upset, but saving $120 per month and the hassle that goes with it is looking really good to us right now." And so it went. But due to "a glitch" our internet has suffered. Okay, now I'm upset. Days later with one visit from a tech guy and the net is still slow and intermittent. They were sending someone between the hours of 8 am and 10 pm Sunday, but they were a no show. No bother. My wife was canning peaches and I was outside working on a porch. But I'm convinced they don't really want our reduced business. My wife is giving them a longer lead and is showing them the patience of a saint. We'll see where this winds up.
All this rant to say...the minor glitches with Canoetripping seem rather trivial to me. No one likes being inconvenienced, tell me about it, but we're all in this together. Just like my wife keeps telling me "Hang in there and we'll get this sorted."
BTW I really liked the trip reports from Pitt, and quite frankly everyone else who posts them. I can't always access them but do sincerely appreciate the effort trippers show in writing them up and posting them. Each and every one. Sometimes I'm lost for words and sometimes my own internet issues prevent me from commenting...in those cases I point and poke the Like button. Like my wife says as she looks me in the eye "It isn't perfect and doesn't always work, but it will be just fine." I'm pretty sure she was talking about the tech stuff in our lives.

Last edited:
Either way is fine, I don't see where its worth tampering with or spending money on.

I agree, not worth spending our money on.

Although Sweeper has four reputation bars and I only have two. heck, even Memaquay has two bars, and he may be a more disreputable character than me.

I may take my ball and go home.

I agree that Doug has other fish to fry. I lost track of his boat repairs and new workshop project. Those are more important than fiddly diddly stuff here on the boards.
Mind you, I have 2 more bars than Mike, so I'm entitled to feel this way. (LOL)

Last edited:
Back