• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Kelty Mirada Tarp Shelter

Reaction score
Just bought this and started doing some experimentation. Not designed to have the front closed but by adding an extra guy line you can partially close the front if desired. I paid just a little over $100 so I call it a "poor mans CCS Lean Shelter".

Attachments

• photo9329.jpg
    photo9329.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9330.jpg
    photo9330.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo9331.jpg
    photo9331.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 0
I camped this past fall with a friend who had also just bought one, my first thought was to make him a clear plastic window for the back and figure out if my small canvas tent wood stove would fit inside (without burning or torching the whole thing)... for lighter faster non big tent trips in the late fall.

We didn't end up using his (set up only long enough to realize it had good sitting and standing space for two adults as well as lots of room behind...) as another larger shelter was set up for the group. Good luck with yours.

I camped this past fall with a friend who had also just bought one, my first thought was to make him a clear plastic window for the back and figure out if my small canvas tent wood stove would fit inside (without burning or torching the whole thing)... for lighter faster non big tent trips in the late fall.

We didn't end up using his (set up only long enough to realize it had good sitting and standing space for two adults as well as lots of room behind...) as another larger shelter was set up for the group. Good luck with yours.
We were only allowed a tarp when I took an outdoor survival and backpacking course many years ago. I like primitive minimal camping but I found out real quick going to the areas like the Adirondacks NY and Maine There is almost no escape from the mosquitoes and black flies, especially black flies, nothing seems to repel them. So have a nice assortment of Kelty tents!

Hey PAtripper, it looks awesome. I like the soft natural (stealthy) color. Do you plan to get the tent insert? Please keep us informed about your satisfaction, it looks like a great option for canoe use.

While it wouldn't make the shelter totally bug proof, you can always purchase a large piece of no-see-um netting and clip it to the front opening. That still allows small critters to infiltrate from the ground along the sides but careful staking there will keep out most of them. My guess is it would help tremendously if you're not interested in getting an internal nest.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Sorry about my previous suggestion. I just checked out the YouTube video on this shelter and it's a lot larger than I thought based on the posted photos. You'd have to be picking up an extremely large piece of no-see-um netting to cover the front of this palatial set-up. Looks like an internal nest is probably the way to go if you want to be able to combat the flying beasties.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Back