• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Keewaydin duffel bag

Reaction score
I would like to put together a Keewaydin duffle bag as outlined in the book The Keewaydin Way. I understand how to make the bag, measurements are simple 14 inches in diameter by 36 inches long. The part about a 12 inch long inner throat is what stymies me. I don't claim to have read the whole book, but I did look at all the pictures, I did not see any pictures of the inner throat. So I am asking if any of the forum member that maybe were Keewaydin campers remember this feature, have pictures or have detailed instructions on making this style of duffle bag with the throat. The only duffle bag that I've have had, is from my four years in the military, that was fifty years ago, I don't remember what happened to that bag. I do know I came home from the service with only the uniform I was wearing, I, was happy to throw it away (my mother took them out of the trash and saved it. I got to throw them away again when she crossed over). Along with wood/canvas canoes, bamboo fly rods, canvas Camille Poirier style packs, Whelen Lean-to and leather tump line, I would like a traditional duffle bag to throw on top of my wannigan, on some of my increasingly shorter canoe trips.
Thanks,
........Birchy

I don't know anything about the throat on a Keewaydin duffel bag, but I'm glad I read your post, we have a lot in common, a lot.

I've been wanting to order one of Brian Back's Keewaydin books for awhile now. I do vaguely remember using a duffle once with a varnished/waxed extendable throat. I have no idea where it came from or when exactly I used it. It would be interesting to know it's history now, but it may have been from somewhere else entirely.
Good luck in your hunt Birchy, I like the direction you're travelling.
Here's some excellent Keewaydin photos, some with duffles and wannigans. (I never had the immense pleasure to attend a youth camp.)
https://keewaydin.smugmug.com/Camp-P...Season-Begins/
https://keewaydin.smugmug.com/CampPhotos2013/Temagami/Post-Season-Photos-End-season/

Last edited:
The “throat” isn’t a drawstring closure is it?
I picture a 14” x 36” cylinder with one end closed.
The other end has grommets with a drawstring or military-style closure.
The 12” throat is an internal sleeve with a drawstring casing and drawstring coming out a single grommet.
The outer grommets close around the internal sleeve.
That is how I picture it and would construct it, but it might not be how it is meant to be.

Last edited:
Don't have a Keewaydin bag or Brian Back's book, but here is the canvas duffle I use. Was told it was a canvas tent storage bag when I picked it up. Sort of looks like there is an "inner throat" sewn to the base of of the grommets flaps that can fold upwards or back down into the pack. It more or less provides some protection at the opening instead of a circular flap I've seen on some other bags. Maybe these pics will help out...

duffle%2B1_rs.jpg

duffle%2B5_rs.jpg

duffle%2B6_rs.jpg

By the way, I've found that the sewn handle on the side is very useful to help swing the duffle up and onto a wannigan while I grip the tumpline with the other hand. Or in tricky terrain, you can carry it suitcase style if need be.

Sorry to have missed this. Winter comes, water freezes, and I go skiing. Both of the above two posts are pretty much correct. Mine was an OD green canvas bag with 4 grommets to close it, and a cotton (probably treated) sleeve extending from the opening. The sleeve closed with a drawstring, and provided additional waterproofing. There was no shoulder strap -- the grommets were closed with a traditional clasp like on an army issue duffle, but it was on a short strap rather than a shoulder strap.

Thank you, for all for your replys .........
I imagine that is what I was looking for. I bought a couple of military surplus laundry bags and a surplus duffel bag. I cut off about 12 inches of the top of one of the rubberized laundry bags, glued & handsewed the cut edge inside the mouth of the the duffel bag. It now looks like Murat V's duffel bag, with two draw strings. I stick the other laundry bag inside the duffel. Stuff I want to stay dry, I put in waterproof stuff bags, inside the laundry bag, inside the duffel bag. The olive drab look matches my #3 Duluth Pack. When I was younger I could have carried the duffel balanced on top of the Duluth pack, behind my neck. In todays real world, each gets carried separately, unless the are both really light. The duffel bag gets tumped.

I bought a large canvas duffel I use on occasion as it fits so well in my canoe. I tump as my second carry, and take a small canvas bag and canoe on first carry.

It is white heavy canvas, and I may dye it to be a more muted color, but so far I do not mind it white ... albeit dirty.

Attachments

• DSC02958.jpeg
    DSC02958.jpeg
    267.5 KB · Views: 20
Back