• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Intro from Ulster County, NY

Reaction score
Hello from the Hudson Valley, New York

I’m a recent transplant from New York City to the Hudson Valley and am just getting into canoeing for the first time at 40 years old.

There are a lot of waterways here and I also travel up to the Adirondacks regularly and camp in the St. Regis Canoe Area.

I have a new Royalex M.R. Reflection 15 that I’m mostly planning to paddle solo with a kneeling thwart soon to be installed. (Might need help on the best placement for it). My wife is also enthusiastic about canoeing so we will use it tandem as well., Although I will likely get a dedicated solo canoe for her at some point. I’m interested in developing strong canoeing skills on still and moving water. Hoping that this group can help with that. I’m discovering what you all know already …that canoeing is one of the best practices to commune with nature and explore one’s surroundings without being connected to roads and cars. I’m interested in overnight camping as well as short day or evening paddles. Would like to learn some advanced techniques for manouvering, learn to read rapids and plan routes on moving water and also just relax outside, observe wildlife and be in the natural world. A photo of my new canoe is attached. It's only been out for a couple of short test paddles thus far. Planning on getting out there a priority this season. I'd like to meet some people who would be interested in some day solo canoeing ...perhaps at a more intermediate level in the Kingston NY area.
Thanks
Jandrews

Attachments

• photo6948.jpg
    photo6948.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 0
First off, welcome from Otsego county. If you're looking to get into whitewater (don't know what you mean by "intermediate" level paddling) you can check out the Esopus Creek which is right up Rt. 28 from you. If easier moving water is something you might enjoy there are some wonderful stretches of the Hudson River north of you that also go into some quiet backwaters from what I've read. You could also travel down Rt. 209 to the Basha-Kill wetlands (just south of where the road crosses over Rt. 17) for some nice paddling. This time of year you'll see lots of Canada geese on their nests as well as osprey and bald eagles. If it's sunny day expect to see lots of turtles as well. Bottom line, you've got a wealth of paddling options right out your door. Sorry I don't live closer but if you ever travel up towards Cooperstown I'd be more than happy to show you some stretches of the Susquehanna River. Nothing out of the ordinary but nice nonetheless.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. I live down the thruway and just over the border in NNJ from you, but willing to meet somewhere for a paddle along the Hudson sometime.
A few of us from this forum and several from ADK forum are meeting up at Rollins Pond this weekend with a basecamp and paddling into SRCA in case you are available on such short notice. There will be plenty of space as we reserved several sites for Friday into Monday.

Thanks snapper and bcelect for the responses. I guess what I mean by intermediate level is that while I'm somewhat of a beginner ...I'm pushing myself to learn more advanced techniques quickly and sticking to mellow moving water until i'm more comfortable with rapids, rocks, holes, eddy's etc. I would like to get comfortable with the required strokes at a quicker pace of learning this spring/summer.
Regarding the Esopus Creek...I live very close to it. I also live on the Rondout Creek which connects to the Hudson. The Esopus has many places that are very very shallow ..which would require getting out of the canoe. I guess that's not a problem. I will work on finding a good stretch of it.
And bcelect, I have gone to Rollins Pond about 4 times in the past few years. Usually camp there with my car and explore from there. I'm unable to be there this weekend but we are planning on being there Mid July.
Thanks again.

I worked in Kingston for six years and lived in Woodstock for 10 years in the 80's and early 90's, and was an avid paddler the entire time. The Catskills, unfortunately, have far less natural water than the Adirondacks, but there is still a lot of water to be found.

If you want to learn how to paddle whitewater with paddling and safety instruction, I would highly recommend joining the NY-NJ chapter of the Appalachian Mountain Club (AMC), which regularly runs river trips on the Esopus and other southern Catskill rivers. There used to also be a chapter of the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) out of the capitol region, which ran trips further north.

Across the Hudson and north of the bridge there is the Tivoli Wildlife Area, which is a nice estuary paddle at high tide. South of the bridge there is Constitution Marsh. Marshall Seddon runs The River Connection in Hyde Park. This is primarily a kayak sales and instruction shop, but he is very knowledgeable and helpful about sharing information about paddling venues and paddling groups in the area.

The Esopus, Rondout and Wallkill all have flat stretches that can be paddled both downstream and up.

I used to paddle on the Ashokan Reservoir by accessing it from the road across Rte. 28 from the West Hurley Post Office. Of course, this has the detriment of being illegal if such things bother you. This won't help much if you get caught, but a friend of mine won a non-precedential court case in the 80's, which declared that the regulations against canoeing on NY reservoirs to be irrational. Now, paddling is allowed on some NY reservoirs with restrictions, I think.

There are several small lakes dotting the Catskills, which can provide a few hours of solitude and enjoyment, such as Yankeetown Pond.

But, basically, you have to be willing to travel to get to a lot of stuff. For whitewater, I paddled (and led trips) not only with the NY-NJ chapter of the AMC, but also the Connecticut and Berkshire chapters.

In these social media days, there may now be Facebook or Meetup paddling groups in your area.

Hi there, great wealth of knowledge here. I also suggest the ny ni amc. I'm coleading a trip Sunday on flatwater in Jamaica bay Brooklyn. They do a lot of white water and have workshops.
Basha kill is on my list June 3. I'm leading Long Island paddlers. Lots of fun. It's flatwater. Plus a winery at the put in!

Back