• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Inreach

Reaction score
Any inReach ( a former Delorme product, now Garmin) users/owner out there? I'm considering a purchase. Do you pair it with another device, such as iphone, tablet, GPS, map & compass? What charging options do you use?

Not yet..So far I am just using a PLB.. I'd be far more interested in the Inreach if I could ask lots of questions in person but they closed the Map Store in Yarmouth when Garmin took over.

Sorry, like to help you but I just take a paper map and a compass and hardly ever refer to either one.

Yup, I have one. Pairs with my Iphone. It has become my main means of communicating from the bush now. I pay about 30 bucks a month during on season, but think I will suspend it soon until May. Has better suspend/startup options than SPOT or phone service.

You can only charge it at home, but the battery lasts a LONG time. The most I have gotten down to on an eight day trip, sending one or two messages a day was around 90%.

Sorry, like to help you but I just take a paper map and a compass and hardly ever refer to either one.

Don't think Inreach has a GPS . Or does it?

Can you use Inreach without a phone. My I phone goes fast through batteries. And overheats
It got run over by a logging truck but still works though warped

You can use inreach with out a phone, but it is a laborious process, toggling one letter at a time. However, you can preload a bunch of messages that you can select to send, they have some already listed, and I believe you can make your own, like "Just tried some of Brad's weird South American jalapeno bannock, please send imodium and rectal ice packs to the next drop off". I only turn my phone on when I go to send a message, so it lasts a long time too. Two way instant messaging is somewhat difficult, as I have found that I need to send a message to receive whatever messages are waiting for me, but there's probably a way around that too, I just don't read instructions.

There are battery charge options available for in the field, including battery packs and solar chargers. I was thinking of just pairing an inReach with a map and compass. ie: I'd look at the tracking feature when necessary to pick up the GPS co-ordinates and plot them on the map. I was wondering how long the inReach lasted on it's own without recharging.
I don't have an iphone, GPS or tablet. I like the idea of using a tablet (I can get android second hand) because to the larger screen, but that means needing in the field power recharging. More e-gadgets and $$.

So you haven't used the tracking feature memequay? I don't think I want to ping every 10 minutes; not sure how much juice that takes, though it would keep us up to date with co-ordinates.

Yeah, the itty bitty texting features would challenge me. That and me becoming a fumbling fingered poor speller with a curious aged slide into dyslexia. My message to our daughter "Please send help, honey" will become "Please help, spend my money."

Last edited:
Sounds like you want a GPS. I leave my GPS on all day to track routes and portages. When I do, it eats the better part of two AA batteries.

I love mine. Pairs with my cell phone easily, battery life is great as it only need to be on a few minutes each day. Allows me to communicate with any one I need to, but I can do it on a phone like I normally would. I do have a bio-light that charges when needed but I seldom use it for charging, usually only once during a ten day outing.

I'm intrigued by the 2-way capabilities. What we might pair it with, whether we pair it at all, adds to it's flexibility.
Getting a GPS is still under consideration, though I'd only turn it on from time to time. I'm beginning to understand the appeal of e-devices.

I don't own one, but I like the inreach a lot. In my opinion being able to communicate back and fourth is incredibly valuable in an emergency situation. In my area a lot of wilderness search and rescue is done by canoe, and you do have to pick and choose the equipment you bring. Knowing the nature of the emergency is invaluable.

To my understanding the inreach also has a bunch of built in features to prevent false alarms. They seem much better than spot devices in that regard.

Quinn

I have never had to push the SPOT 911 button but if it is like the On/Off & OK buttons, first you need to pull back the tab and then the button has to be held down for a couple of seconds, so I don't see any false alarm problems.
The Inreach has a lot of nice features but owning a SPOT already and NOT owning a sMart phone or any other device to connect with it I think I'll stay where I am. They know where we are on a twice daily basis and I don't text.

Sounds like you want a GPS. I leave my GPS on all day to track routes and portages. When I do, it eats the better part of two AA batteries.

My little garmin etrex 20 is great on batteries. All day with tracking it runs about 3-5 days before 2 AA batteries die. then they get charged in my solar panel tied on the pack.

I have a spot and like the In reach and if I didn't already one I would buy the Inreach over the spot. Annual cost was 266 CDN$ on last months renewal.

It is piece of mind for my wife, the two way would be better as she can ask questions but we agreed not worth the cost to upgrade.

Borrowed a Sat phone a few times and for really remote and long trips that's a necessity for me to obtain spousal blessing.

Back