• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

How to convince wife to let canoe into house.

Reaction score
Trying to figure how to get permission from wife to let a few of the fleet into the house. Do not know if the wood canoe barn/workshop will make it past 150 mph winds. The cement block house should be ok. Going to put two in the garage. Have decided not to take with us If we evacuate. If we do not evacuat no room in the garage as do not want to have to remove from rack before moving cars from garage in a worse case emergency. Do not have to worry about flooding luckily at my house. Events like this hurricane make you proritize your life. As foolish as it sounds wife, dogs,hosue, then canoe.

If you decide to stay put there is no leaving in the middle of the storm
That's how people get killed.
Leave now or not at all
Never mind the boats. You need to have a much more important conversation with DW

I share your pain. We live less than 10 miles from the coast near the Fl/GA border and plan on taking a beating. We are renting a 10 X 20 storage unit for a month to stick stuff in. It might be an option for you. Since we had a manatory evaction for Mathew I am pretty sure we will have leave for Irma. Will probably head down to our cabin in the Ocala National Forest since it is about 50 miles inland. Running from a hurricane with 2 dogs, a cat and a bird kind of limit your options about where you stay.
Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

My fingers are crossed for both of you, and for other Floridian friends, and for folks who make a winter living there. The “latest” track and intensity don’t look good for one side or the other of the Florida dangle. No track looks “good”; if it unexpectedly veers more northward at best the Carolinas get hammered, and parts of rural NC still haven’t recovered from Matthew last year.

We are at 800ft elevation, and a hundred+ miles inland from the coast, but we are rural and heavily forested with overhead wires. Even a weak tropical storm is guaranteed to knock out power for hours if not days. See also same winter ice/snow storms.

That minor inconvenience is easy to prep for, mostly with camping/tripping gear; carboys of water at each sink, 5 gallon buckets of water in the tub for “If it’s brown, flush it down”, wood split and stacked ahead of winter storms, camp stove & fuel, ice chests if the frig/freezer is out for days, flashlights & batteries and sundry other tripping or camping items.

In that sense folks who camp or trip are probably the best prepared, either to stay put and hunker down or to load the vehicle and get the heck out of the storm’s path. Trippers are likely have “road-trips” down, as well as a vehicle with roof racks and cargo hauling capacity.

Even so I cannot imagine preparing to vacate everything and head inland north amidst a crush of humanity.

Let us know when you are safe.

Everything but the boats and last of the plywood is done. Belive it or not on the backside of a previous hurricane had to leave home to do a rescue while the winds were still gusting to 30 mph. But yes stay put is safest. Waiting on the 11pm update tonight for decision making about leaving. Will not use interstate but the back roads at night through Ocala forest.

As I detailed in the waterspout thread, a canoe outfitter in central Florida saved all his dozens of canoes from the last hurricane by taking them all off the outdoor racks (which he didn't trust), putting them all on the ground in a tight mass away from potentially falling trees or objects, tying them all tightly together, and filling them all with water from a hose. The canoes didn't move in the wind, but he had dozens tied together, probably weighing many tens of tons as a mass. Maybe he had a few pipes in the ground, too, as stakes. I don't recall.

Make sure you take pictures of your boats so insurance can reimburse you. Good luck

Best of luck to all in the storm's path. This is the very reason that Florida and the East coast are off my list of possible retirement locations.

Stayed at a friends house during the hurricaine and just got back home now. We got lucky, no damage to our home but had alot of yard debris to clean up. Even though Irma had shifted quite aways from us the damage and flooding around here was staggering in some places. We passed a couple of homes that had water up to their doorknobs on the front door. Can't imagine what it must be like for folks closer to the center of Irma. Hope the other Florida paddlers survived alright.
Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

Back