• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Homemade Sugarless Energy Bars

Reaction score
I have really enjoyed Larabars over the past few seasons but at $3 each it gets somewhat expensive. So after some research and trial and error I have figured out how to make my own. Fully customizable, high fibre, packed with protein and high calories.

1 cup Dried Dates
1 cup Dried Fruit like raisins or cherries or cranberries
1 cup Whole, raw, unsalted Nuts like Almonds, Peanuts or Walnuts
2 Tbsp Unsweetened Peanut Butter
2 TBSP Ground Flax Seed

Soak the dried fruit and dates in warm water
Put the nuts in the food processor and pulse to chop. You want them chopped fairly small but not into a paste.
Remove the nuts from the Food processor and but into a bowl
Drain the fruit and put into food processor and process until it forms a paste.
*Transfer to mixing bowl, add peanut butter and combine.
Press into a lightly oiled pan and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Remove from fridge and cut into bars. Wrap and refrigerate until ready to use. Should keep unrefrigerated for some time on a trip.

*At this point is when you can tweet the flavour. Some things I have tried:
1 TBSP Cocoa Powder
1 TBSP Cocoa Powder + 1 TSP instant coffee
Coconut
Vanilla
Cinnamon
Maple Syrup

I struggled with the methodology and getting it to mix right, but the quick pre-soak in warm water and mixing the ingredients in bowl rather than trying to run it all through the food processor worked the best.

I would like to try dried apple sauce as a secondary fruit, cinnamon and some oats.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out or what sort of variations you come up with.

I really like the sound of these, thanks very much Red. Bars can be too sweet and sticky for me, so these might be just right. There's lots of room for experimenting; cocoa and instant coffee sounds interesting. Fruit, nuts and oatmeal etc. might make a nice breakfast bar.
Thanks Red.

Pemmican. Ground/pulverized dried meat, peanut butter, nuts, raisins. You can tweak that recipe to make it more or less sugary to suit your needs.

dried meat, peanut butter, and raisins?? Sounds like the menu at the Muskwa cafe. If that doesnt bring in the bears I dont know what will...lol

Back