• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Here's a canoe video to remind you what summer is like

Reaction score
The whole country (Canada, that is) is in the midst of a cold snap (-30C in Winnipeg this morning). So here's a video my wife and I made this summer during a 10 day trip in Quetico in August, to remind us that summer is pretty much the best thing ever.

https://youtu.be/vM7rBAkNNPA

Warning: it's the first video I ever made - so this is going to be ~11m19s you're never going to get back....

Thanks for the reminder. Nothing better than summer trippin' with a good canoe dog.

Alan

I vaguely remember summer. That's that thing where you can eat outdoors without your lips freezing to the cutlery, you don't need to wear mitts for everything (and I mean everything) and and and we can even wear shorts?!? Thanks blackfly! Your excellent summer trip video might've done the trick. Around here the weather seer has thrown the voodoo bones and is calling for thawing temperatures in time for Christmas! (But I'm keeping my mitts handy just in case).
Good video!

Last edited:
Love your paddle cam! Thanks for sharing your trip with us all. Looks like you had a wonderful time. Any tips or tricks to getting your dog to settle down in the canoe or is it just his/her nature? Just curious as I'm going to attempt to get my part Border Collie acclimated to my canoe come spring. We just got her and she's about a year old so any suggestions you have will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Favorite moment for me was at about the two-minute mark... the dog is standing there weighed down by the backpack and as soon as the pack comes off, the tail starts wagging.... LOL

All the dogs I had in my canoe (three in total) have been nervous... maybe the trick is to start them early.

Thanks!

dog cam? We did the same trip a few years ago with our dog Lucy.. She hated her pack.. She always got morose when we put it on.. But by the time we got to Jean Creek she had it figured out.. She leapt out of the canoe did the portage at a dead run.. We didn't have a chance of getting the pack on her.. We found her lying down waiting for us ( and her pack) at the other end.

Nice video, thanks for sharing. That campsite at Jean narrows is in a nice spot for sure. I think its the most used site I've seen in Quetico, which is strange given its remoteness.

Glad you liked the video, it was a lot of fun to make it.

Re: dog cam - I just strapped the camera into his backpack so it wasn't exactly sophisticated.

I find that for teaching my dog things that I should break them in early - for example with the canoe I just lay it in the yard for a few days so he could get used to it. Then I would sit in it as he was in the yard and if he came up to me I'd give him a treat. After that I put his mat in the canoe and encouraged him to come in (while still in the yard) and gave him some treats. And we kept progressing like that until we went on a trip! Short trips at 1st, an hour here or there. This was his first year canoe tripping and he did really great.

For the backpack - I just put it on and started walking away. He followed. He likes it because it gives him a job to do.

The video was great, thanks. Just what I needed this past weekend when is was -16F. Looking forward to spring already.

Thanks, that's nice to see this time of year, just the motivation I needed to get back to the canoes, after just one more cup of coffee by the wood stove..haha

Great first video! Puppy cam was neat to see the trip from that perspective. Might have to strap a camera onto my toddler next summer for similar footage.

Nicely done (except for the doggy cam, which was too wobbly for me). I'm still in the initial stages with my GoPro device as well: trying to find all the possible mounts and perspectives that might be interesting to record. And then, most of the time I think I'm turning it on when I'm turning it off, and vice versa. I don't normally review any footage until I get back home. So I either fail to get the shot I wanted or I get so much I get bored scrolling through it and imagine everyone else would too.

It's a strange art, filming.

Back