• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Hello from the Upper Midwest!

Zac

Reaction score
Glad to finally be a part of the forum! I've been reading trip reports and everything else here for over a year. I decided to finally join because I intend on starting my first stripper build soon.

I grew up in Northern MN and broke out canoeing small rivers in the area. I was one-night camping on the Kettle River as young as 12 with my same-aged cousin. I fell in love with the BWCA on my first trip at age 15, but never made it back until 3 years ago, after moving to North Dakota In 2010. I am now 30 years old.

In the last 3 years I have made 8 trips into the BWCA, accompanied on all but one by my 96# Labrador, Boomer. This spring I made a trip down the Little Missouri River in ND and plan on returning this fall for deer hunting. This summer I embarked on my first solo(+dog) trip, paddling the entirety of the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument in 8 days. I have started writing a report for that trip and hope to post it here soon. In 149 miles I only encountered one rattlesnake and four other parties.

I'm currently working in Northern Wisconsin and might be moving here permanently. I have made a couple of local trips here, but nothing big so far. I just learned about Sylvania and would love to see it this fall... whenever I'm not in the wilderness I'm dreaming of another trip.

I do favor canoe tripping but have had a blast on hiking and horseback trips as well. I had the good fortune to spend 21 days on a DIY elk hunting trip in the Gospel Hump Wilderness last fall, riding almost every day.

Future trips I dream about and are definitely influenced by this forum are the Quetico, Apostle Islands, Wabakimi PP, Woodland Caribou PP, and maybe St. Regis.
I was absolutely entranced by Alan Gage's Wollaston Lake to Nunavut trip report and hope to make a similar trip on my own some day.

Glad to be here! Hope my soon-to-come strip building questions are well recieved. I'll make a post soon in Canoecraft asking for plan recommendations.

The current fleet, in order of my preference:
Kevlar WeNoNah Odyssey, 18'6", 1989
Fiberglass Scott Explorer, 14'
Fiberglass WeNoNah, 17'6", 1985
Alumacraft, Free.

I'm currently working in Northern Wisconsin and might be moving here permanently. I have made a couple of local trips here, but nothing big so far. I just learned about Sylvania and would love to see it this fall... whenever I'm not in the wilderness I'm dreaming of another trip.

Welcome! How far north are you? I'm in Green Bay.

I'm heading to Sylvania for a 3 night trip in a couple of weeks, assuming the weather cooperates with me.

Back