• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hello from Penticton, BC

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a relatively new paddler from Penticton, BC, Canada. My wife and I have been somewhat active outdoors people for a long time. Backpacking, climbing, mountain biking, and mountaineering. We now have a 2.5 year old son and 6 month old son. Last year we realized we couldn’t backpack with the kids and so we took up canoeing.

We do day day trips to the lakes around us every two weeks or so in the summer. We’re fortunate to be surrounded by lakes. We’ve also done two multi day trips to the Westside Circuit of Bowron Lakes and Murtle Lake. We’re hoping to do more multi day trips as it’s the most feasible way to get our family into the backcountry.

We’ve been loving canoeing so far. It’s hard to find much info on canoeing. We’re looking forward to learning more here and asking questions of an experienced community.

Hi there.. In a couple of years you can take your family on the entire circuit of Bowron Lakes.. Those diapers are a PITA! While the westside was nice compared to Isaac Lake and down to Lanezi and Sandy it kinda pales...

Hi there.. In a couple of years you can take your family on the entire circuit of Bowron Lakes.. Those diapers are a PITA! While the westside was nice compared to Isaac Lake and down to Lanezi and Sandy it kinda pales...

That’s the hope! I’m hoping maybe next summer or the one after we can do the full circuit as a family. Not too bothered by packing out diapers. We’re used to it now! My biggest apprehension with the full circuit is the river sections with the higher stakes of having small children in the canoe as well.

Welcome Cameron, I think you will find canoe tripping a great replacement for backpacking.

If you are looking for "How to" info on canoeing, Bill Mason's "Path of The Paddle" and Cliff Jacobson's "Expedition Canoeing" were enough to get me started.

Welcome, I've spent some time in the Penticton and Kelowna area over the last few years but haven't had a chance to do any paddling out there yet. Looks like it would be an amazing spot to be on the water.

Welcome, I've spent some time in the Penticton and Kelowna area over the last few years but haven't had a chance to do any paddling out there yet. Looks like it would be an amazing spot to be on the water.

There are some great canoeing lakes around here. Skaha and Okanagan Lakes are good for canoeing at times. Boat traffic can get bad at times and they are both big lakes that can kick up some serious waves and wind at times. Good practice for trips!

Some of the smaller lakes are real gems. Vaseaux Lake between Oliver and Penticton is a lovely non-motorized bird habitat. Yellow Lake near Keremeos is on the highway but has tons of wildlife.

Welcome Cameron, I think you will find canoe tripping a great replacement for backpacking.

If you are looking for "How to" info on canoeing, Bill Mason's "Path of The Paddle" and Cliff Jacobson's "Expedition Canoeing" were enough to get me started.

Thanks for the tip. I've got the books on my Amazon order list now!

Have you considered the ocean? Lots to do onshore, no or few bugs, no portaging. Canoes are ideal for all but the biggest waves and swells. And for the most part, you won't encounter either in these areas:

-Desolation Sound (especailly in May or September) is a beginner's paradise as it has lakes, warm water, no current and light winds.
-Broken Group is another cool area though winds and fog (in August) are prevalent.
-Closer to the lower mainland, Indian Arm is a no brainer, but try to avoid it on summer weekends.
-Sechelt inlet is very nice.

As with all large bodies of water, dangerous winds do come up in the afternoons in the summer-especially on hot days, but early mornings are idyllic.

We paddle close tgo shore when possible as there's more to see, winds, if any are lighter and self-rescue is possible.

On the ocean, a VHF radio comes in handy for emergencies and for weather reports.

A GPS helps in the fog, but always carry a compass and paper maps and tide charts.

Back