• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Hello from Jackson Michigan

Reaction score
Just started canoeing but been reading this forum and books to catch up. Spent last month in upstate New York picking up my new used Kestrel and the drive home was uneventful thank you much.
I plan on checking out and fishing small lakes around home too small or remote for the bigger boats.
I would like to try some tripping and probably will after becoming more comfortable with my new boat.
There is some canoe/kayak clubs in Michigan that I'll also check into.
Thanks for all the good information so far.
Alan

Congratulations on the new boat Alan. Jackson is my home town, I didn't make it far tho', I'm only over in Battle Creek.

Thanks devils son in law. Since this is my first boat, I'm still learning a lot about canoeing sticking to the smaller lakes. It will be a while before I venture into the rivers although looking at some smaller lakes in and around Grayling that are surrounding by State land.
thanks again
alan

The rivers have a current for sure but no whitewater.... Wakeley Lake just East of Grayling, is part of the Huron Nat'l Forest, it has trails and a few campsites with no homes. The impoundments on the AuSable are very nice as well.

Rivers like the AuSable and Manistee are great for beginner and experienced alike. There is nothing technical in either, just easy paddling.

For a more technical river, check out the Pine River near Cadillac. No whitewater, but it's quite tight and fast.

Back