• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Healing...rehab...paddling

Reaction score
It took forever for the wound in my hand to heal over completely so the doc would be okay with me playing in the water. But I finally was able to get out on the lake yesterday. Since my grip strength is still lacking (about 25-30% of what it should be), I decided to ease into it - and so my first paddle trip was in my daughter's rec kayak (an OT Loon 111 :eek:). DeAnna came along in her Chesapeake. We watched the sunset on water almost smooth as glass. Perfect.

I brought along a short single blade to try, and it turns out that I find that easier for me to handle than the double. The partial numbness on one side of my hand was more of a bother with the double, and the horizontal grip strained some muscles a little. Who paddles a rec kayak with a single blade? I do. I was able to J-stroke and do turning strokes on both sides with no pain. Didn't try any braces. Next time out, I leave the kayaks behind and bring the Sojourn. Still too many range of motion issues for poling, but I think I will dabble at it in a few weeks.

PT torture seems to be paying off. Good thing I've always had a healthy tolerance of pain. The muscles in my right arm have also atrophied quite a bit, so I have some body building to do. But I'm beginning to think that I might actually be able to get in some easy river trips this season. Maybe even an overnighter on the Snake.

Out here those who dabble in the debbils pursuit in a decked boat with a double. always carry a spare. Usually it is a cut down single blade.. I think paddling is the most tolerant activity and the most adaptable to various old age or duh moments infirmities.

Steve - I've not experience hand issues yet but have had plenty of problems with my knees over the years. Bottom line, keep up with the PT and you should be on your way to a successful paddling season in no time. Maybe it's because my daughter is a PT but all of what we think of as torture (and let's be honest, some of it is!) is scientifically designed to get us up and out doing what we want; at least that's how she explains it to me. Regardless of the thought, I send nothing but good vibes your way so you can be back out and paddling the craft of your choice as soon as possible.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Back