• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

gum slough gator

Reaction score
Loch Ness is pool toy compared to this guy... :)

Me and an old friend of mine Ron (one of the guys trying to coerce me into doing the WaterTribe EC Challenge next year) decided to hit a stretch of the Withlacoochee River where the Gum Slough spring drain downs into the main river. You can google earth "Gum Slough, Sumter County, FL" to see where we were. Trip came together as a last minute kind of thing to kill some time before Easter dinner, so we didn't have time to push all the way to the spring which is about 7 miles of twisty, twiggy, loggy and buggy obstacles through the swamp. Its a half a day easy to finagle your way up there. We're going to try and plan a camping trip in the next few weeks or so before the heat and bugs become unbearable and see if its clear all the way to the spring.

I did some fly fishing while Ron was futzing around getting his Monarch launched too. Ended up catching a few panfish and a keeper largemouth bass, which we turned into a shore brunch across from the Gum Slough drainage. Not sure why I didn't think to take any pictures of the fish or the fish fry and eggs event, probably too busy BS'ing. We fished a bit paddling back to the launch too and both caught a few more panfish and got another bass about an inch smaller than the one we ate.

Beautiful morning on the water and good time with a long time friend...

video of a few clips mashed together https://vimeo.com/213469644

Attachments

• photo6654.jpg
    photo6654.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6655.jpg
    photo6655.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6656.jpg
    photo6656.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6656.jpg
    photo6656.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6657.jpg
    photo6657.jpg
    451.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6658.jpg
    photo6658.jpg
    479.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6659.jpg
    photo6659.jpg
    472.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6660.jpg
    photo6660.jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 0
Really cool scenery. I need to get down there one of these days. I'm just not too keen on sleeping with gators around. Especially the straw hat wearing variety.

Yeah there are some beautiful stretches. Thing is the Withlacoochee threads through a fair number of little towns with lots of access points, but you can still get far enough away to feel like your're more remote than you really are. Makes for some really nice last minute, get out of the house options.

Back