• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Grumman Sailing Canoe for sale

Reaction score
Grumman Sailing Canoe 17' long the sail rig is complete (except for the running rigging) the sail however is in tatters but could be used as a pattern for a new sail. Stock sails may be available but I haven't looked in a while. I'm asking $500 for the works. I've seen the Sailing rig alone listed at $500 so I'm throwing in the canoe. The guy I got it from sailed a lot and had removed the stern seat, that is missing but I can throw in a caned wooden one if you want.

IMG_2579_zpsjw0lpsjk.jpg

IMG_2578_zpsjdq7wf9b.jpg

IMG_2574_zpszkegb3jz.jpg

IMG_2575_zpsvduheccp.jpg

IMG_2576_zpsyyq7h0be.jpg

This might not be the best venue to offer this, but it not appropriate for WCHA and those are the only canoe forums I follow.

Jim

Yes the guy I got it from lived right on a lake. We are moving to Maine but don't have a place yet. If we end up on a lake I'll wish I hadn't sold it.
The mid west is a bit far unless someone really wants a road trip.
As before I can help transport between the east end of Long Island, New London, Ct and the travel corridor up to midcoast Maine.
Jim

We are moving to Maine but don't have a place yet. If we end up on a lake I'll wish I hadn't sold it.
Jim

​A little off topic, but if I were ever moving again I would start my search by looking for property on the water. You just may find something that financially and logistically meets your needs, but if you don't look you won't know. I can't think of anything that would improve my quality of life more than living on a lake or river.

Not off topic too much. At the moment we are in contract on a place not on the water, once our house here on Long Island sells we will have more resources to maybe buy a place on the water. I personally am not a fan of aluminum canoes and only acquired this because it has the Sailing rig and I intended to resell anyway. I already have a wood and canvas Old Town Sailing Canoe.
Perhaps I need to source a new sail in the meantime. I'm just too busy packing the house, haven't even started on the shop I've been running for thirty years. There will be some tools for sale in the coming weeks.
Jim

Bump for this one. We sold our house and the clock is ticking. Any offers? This is light and I could throw it on the Subaru and meet anyone between Long Island and Maine. Knowing me if I bring it all the way to Maine I'd be tempted to keep it, it's not like it needs any upkeep, and could sit outside.
Jim

Perhaps I need to source a new sail in the meantime.

Jim, I do not know if this would be useful, but years ago DougD gave me a sail from his shop.

An International Laser Class Association sail, with a sail window, grommets, stiffeners and little dangly string wind indicators. I think Doug may have cut a triangular piece off the top to make a small downwind vee sail, but the rest measures out to 86 inches on the mast side x 58 inches along the boom.

It looks to be high quality sail material, stitching and design, maybe someone with Laser experience knows more, it is marked I.LC.A. Royalty Paid. It is still in good condition, but will never do more than gather dust in my shop. It does not have the mast and boom sleeves as on the Grumman rig, but if the material is large enough and you do not mind some sewing. . . . .

If you think you could make that work just send me a PM with your address and I will stick it in the mail.

Thanks Mike. I would have to check the dimensions and don't have time to do that for a week or so. I'm taking a UHaul of things to Maine on Tuesday and will not be back till the weekend. I was kind of hoping to have someone else deal with the sail. If it does go with me I'll deal with it there, running out of time here. No problem sewing a sail or most anything else as I own a Sailrite sewing machine. I'll measure it up when I get back and let you know.
Jim

Thanks Mike. I would have to check the dimensions and don't have time to do that for a week or so. I'm taking a UHaul of things to Maine on Tuesday and will not be back till the weekend.
I'll measure it up when I get back and let you know.

Jim, no worries. That Laser sail has been gathering dust in the shop for several years and can gather some more.

Send me the dimensions, up the mast side, along the boom side and along the diagonal edge and I will lay the Laser sail out to see if it will work.

Back