• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

GPS recommendation

Reaction score
Looking for a GPS that I can use in my canoe, my side by side atv and as a nav system in my truck. Anyone have any suggestions?

Kayak_Ken (in a canoe)

I've used a Garmin GPSMAP 78 series since 2004 for canoeing, driving and hiking all over the U.S.A. and Canada I'm now on my second one, a 78sc. It's waterproof, floats and has a variety of accessories to attach it to vehicles, handlebars, dashboards, windows, and other things. I clip them into quick release mounts that are glued on the thwarts of my canoes and the knee well of my outrigger canoe.

The 78sc comes pre-loaded with Blue Chart maps for all the U.S.A., which can be very useful for a coastal state such as Florida. You can load Garmin or third party topo maps for the U.S. and Canada. You can also download satellite maps into it. This model was over $400 when I bought it five years ago, and can now be gotten for under $200 on Black Friday sales.

One thing: it has physical buttons to push rather than a touch screen. I prefer the physical buttons for an outdoor tool. If you like touch screens, Garmin has several but not with all the marine features of the GPSMAP 78sc.

TqqQVO13K4JYecumkLTrtc-OI-Xcch012KeRrGSuo03WChl0EmwhYZWhY7UiQBpsMOTGYhJKai7x4yln5j1-7ZFnTLxB-C8abOaXtAVTnyQP3S95t1PcnMXYHhg55cJIbWSTo1RsyOjR8mLYAuCjd4F22-ll6p9gdD1zuzsoi-Dg1Ij77mo3wlu7u5ePQzY4JNVXAFHWehQPOd4oFJTjE2CS5UVelmV9az8x9JIMmWnl_h_0Bbx6auG93Yf9qDer8ctrJJFSb79Klg1uKkOBlf1ztB1f5lJf1q-gsZDK-gQJynFSf_oqDsDyqSSK5Yl1qLEZALeQD_I2Y6rRQ6QSUkly_hGA3ZeY0rCcIMXIf0WrYDvBJU-tgLWxW2WkFkqI6igzujltR20HHtYARM3cUwiSBBua8d3sQ-BHehWTllqVuW8ZBIS5U5-525GhwNM96PJEy82w7g87wVmR5ksFtT4pndkgrIvTyhHpVlKTD1k2mSz2Y0KoakkST4ioXvwabkuGE_V07ZC89j00XlhASIQAmK37e0op817w70ITvl9JlUwU89-O2Vcj7iOaE0l1BQZb4uPTKZmilRnuLN3luMRjTwpgBpb7UgS5RC-GHw=w774-h809-no
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

_YLYhSkv3eLcQYfHZBCWXkXbfZFfXKiiJ-H4P7pBuxy3oHkRnrTKderaji9oTx4Fkq35lHK_k7DDs-H4tlSZG-bG_c_wkWH9oxdTrJU4JvU4toCIYCD3qc6Dw6y81_l047qt-IuWOREqNjgrnnnDy29yW1FarJjbKnpJnkcZ9ryxlX4OEYvlmwRJXOm_YTd0a0Mphpeuai1fXNV5xBcIsZm8IWDab6yO8IBRlGhqNFcIw9C543aQnYlx6xR5PntVdfaEpBgtp_awXDOOQIGK2k1-YePQ1iZslEoPtUhbcfefM8DWVEFH5h6Air7uDfLqsoWEzAhJiWF7qA6dYzFORMLRgmWXP33VGcb04pTcAtpeQhjov63423F_uH9uJA9HHmRW0DwBkuxHSjw-fD30QlyaNjrJNwpvQf_rFMF58jSBecGLbuafhegepMe6YrhC-5ubbP_-FU8Mpt4Dampg96S_P-0tIUVExr--xf2xfDVLfEqDjjqT4zolAEAHTewOtQjRbyxF9_5idKqn4kvRRwz37DoObPOsvRyF5d182XQ3xyoXsX1Uqq-BaHUlI8x_IKFyeE8HYlIfTz041ftts4El_gLzgWf_l3FtZSJcDQ=w1295-h929-no

ggxRYIbmLj4lVu2EEp8JlDZ9or1Mg0HsZ1oRJCXSpbmqo2trXe1sM3cDP258AZ6ZLIDtc0fK_g7TQXAa2kFDTqf4_sZTXE0ZIaSziFnZZky9ldCppjO99HauMH0PJZlsqR4Vsa3LdQcPQiondCZMVDOHRAvRtwVFY7bSgD83ijcbOFMZZ6YYj8YFwDebmBJnPkiKcFhpzBfJdZTFSYnwm7KdwQQW-nzZThJX1tp1qPlcRIdiPaAKxhLidX-ZiUeBEpQy8KLS-KBGYTpNFl3p0IDcHKiyajbSbD6g4ldQPoYT61NTZDGfSe9WN0Z4NiLSmOiVYUkp9pOQvTOBTmd2p78bhNDdwj6msqhOI1dCgJD3LDIQ6B7KWlhWbs612tHiptReEz6uJybwwCcFZauJQmVJqiaDqgoNbJDvowKzYBeclUMuVXT7HDHGOCsJOVE5Vlf5hQ4j34m3zbS9fit6MkcBkmU1kcHuPT6oN9_6srxqrkNuqW_-AXaotP7dQxj2IB3q6iMrMq6MiAsiRnuyKPHT_akYJmS5J8r5ji490_S-OA8rczdZn12zeIADVXM8LPR356e43BHTOvK-cMvck9kimFGVeUStLHnrkIgjrQ=w1310-h929-no

I have used the various incarnations of the Garmin 64S, it's pretty good. Get the mapping software to go with it. Garmin is now combining their GPS technology with the inreach stuff...that might be good to investigate. I have the inreach text machine that I pair with my iphone as well as the separate gps. Be nice to have it all in one package.

I've had a gamin as well. Been a good little GPS. I use my phone in my car though, it's nice because it has a much bigger screen and is more attuned to a driving GPS

I've been using the Garmin GPSMap 60CSX for about 10 years. First because was the unit assigned to NYSDEC rangers at the time. The innards of the 60 are identical to the 78 (but the 60 does not float). I have used the 60 on dozens of SAR incidents, and on 3 Yukon River Quest 440 mile canoe races and 2 Yukon 1000 mile canoe races. I mount 2 identical 60 units in front of me for those races with different displays (map and compass) on each. A pair of lithium batteries consistently and routinely easily lasts a full 24 hours in the 60's before I change them.

When the 62 model unit came out I tried it. I Nearly threw the 62 in the river because I could set my watch by every 7 hours that the batteries lasted. Nearly exactly 7 hours each time. Totally unacceptable. Cant have batteries running out during a critical part of any race, especially when precise navigation is required in critical sections on the Yukon. I need more than that for most SAR incidents as well.

So I am back to the 60. I bought extras so I always will have one or more (still available on ebay). Then when the 64 came out, I bought 2 of them for my SAR team. Another battery duration trial resulting in only 7 hours again. Simply awful. I also dislike the change in function display different from the 60 on the 62 and the 64. I see no advantage to either of those over the 60.

My 60 served me well for many years. I believe it is the colour screen on the 64s that contributes to eating the batteries faster. I just carry extra batteries. I find the colour screen a lot easier to see. Haven't used my 60 once since getting the 64.

It depends on your use, if you plan on tracking your whole day a dedicated unit might be best, but if you're at all like me and you just want to drop a pin on some point of interest or you're not 100% sure of your location then you can get away with just using your phone (assuming you have a smartphone). Apps like Gaia are packed with features and you can download the maps to your phone before you go so you don't need cell service and I've never had a problem with my phone not getting a gps signal. I personally am already carrying my phone anyway for camera apps that I tend to use and gps is pretty low on my priority list in the backcountry based solely on how much I use it. I do however rely pretty heavily on my phones gps capability when driving, for that I use a Garmin app, that again has the maps "on board" so cell service is not required, works good, last long time. :)

I don't believe the 60 is any less colorful than the 62 or the 64. Doesn't matter if I have tracking or any other function running. All I get is 7 hours on the 62 or the 64, unacceptable. 24 hrs on the 60's running a programmed route with tracking.

Here is a photo of my two 60CSX units on Lake Laberge during a Yukon River race.

LBQgUyu.jpg

Last edited:
60csx is all I need. I suspect the electronic compass is always on with the newer models and draining the batteries. On the 60csx you can adjust when it takes over navigation.

A geologist friend of mine uses is iPad mini and have all sorts of gps/topo/arial photos etc etc and it is a great tool! He work with intensively, he has a waterproof case, we use it a lot on all our trip together, I think that if I get something it will be that, get lots of other things you can do too, like using it linked to the in reach for communication, taking pictures/video etc etc... The beauty f it is the size not to big not to small and you can blow the map/arial photos to have a better view of things!!

As you can see from my pictures, I have my Garmin mounted in front of me and turned continuously on (with no back light) for my usual eight to ten hour paddling day. I get 40+ hours from two ultimate lithium batteries. Of course, I carry extra batteries because I use the same ones in my headlamps and flashlight. I'd never use my phone for this purpose because I would have no way to recharge it without more electronic gizmos and it's not waterproof. The phone is in a waterproof case inside my water resistant day bag, as a backup communication device.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the ipad have to have access to data to do all those things?

From what he told me, the only thing you need is to have the model that is cellphone enable...

You don't even need the cellular version as you can use an external gps receiver like the DUAL GPS (which I have used back in the day on an ipod) then you simply download all the maps before you go and let the gps do its thing, no cell service required.

Another 60csx user here. I have been considering upgrading to a touch screen unit for a larger, easier to see screen. I am also moving to the ON-x mapping system for hunting trips where I need to see property lines. It will work on the 60 though so I might end up sticking with it.. after I get it bought and installed I will decide on the switch.

60csx is all I need. I suspect the electronic compass is always on with the newer models and draining the batteries. On the 60csx you can adjust when it takes over navigation.
No the compass is turn off-able by the user on all models, 60, 62. an 64. I never turn on the electronic compass on any GPS, I use a real compass, for direction finding, although while moving the GPS units all use point to point data to calculate the compass direction from movement. If the 62 and 64 keep the magnetic compass on internally anyway, regardless of user selected setting, that is news to me and poor power management.

Last edited:
I have an iPad Air2 with all the local maps stored in the internal memory using Topo Maps (app) and have it linked to a Garmin GLO gps unit. I can store and pin locations with description etc. I store the iPad in a Pelican 1065 Case for the rough use or mount it in the vehicle for my overlanding adventures. Works for the off road stuff! Could use an iphone for the app too if weight is a concern. I just like the bigger screen.

No the compass is turn off-able by the user on all models, 60, 62. an 64. I never turn on the electronic compass on any GPS, I use a real compass, for direction finding, although while moving the GPS units all use point to point data to calculate the compass direction from movement. If the 62 and 64 keep the magnetic compass on internally anyway, regardless of user selected setting, that is news to me and poor power management.

If you have gone into the set up-heading menu and turned off the compass on the 62 and still only get 7 hours that assures me the compass is not eating the batteries.
I was concerned because on my 62 I can find no way to control at what speed the electronic compass takes over.

On the 60 I can set it to take over if my speed drops to under a speed I select for a selected amount of time.

On the 60 I can set it to take over if my speed drops to under a speed I select for a selected amount of time.
Correct. Mine is always turned off. The electronic compass internal calculation via GPS signal becomes quite unreliable at very slow forward moving speed, which is why that option exists. When I need an accurate azimuth I use a real compass, which is always independent of forward motion.

Last edited:
Back