• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Free 17' canoe

Reaction score
This came to my shop a couple of weeks ago. I had no idea when or if I would get to it but I had the room and didn't want it to go to the dump. As it turns out this past weekend I met someone that Is going to give me a mold for building a wood and canvas canoe. I don't have room for both. This came to me free and I just want to pass it along. It needs new inwales, outwales, stem ends and some deck repair or replacement. The varnish has been mostly stripped by the previous owner, just the areas under the decks near the stem need stripping. I haven't searched the number yet, perhaps the new owner should do that.. It was a nice canoe in its day, fancy decks with little coamings, mahogany rails inside and out. Only one rib has issues, it's not cracked in two at least. I can help transport on Long Island, up into Connecticut on my way to Boston and in a couple of weeks to Garrison, NY. Here are the pics.

image_zpsok6n8dq8.jpeg

image_zps4pic2all.jpeg

image_zpsn285lery.jpeg

image_zpsw73hwepb.jpeg

image_zpselsldfig.jpeg

image_zpsncllw3ib.jpeg

image_zpst2pggedc.jpeg

image_zpsjpwx6dgr.jpeg

I can take more pics if needed. PM me if interested.

Jim

Hi Jim, I couldn't resist sending the serial number over to WCHA to see when and where this canoe started it's life. Maybe this will get somebody interested in taking it on as a project. Mark

60055.gif

Hi Jim,
If it's still available I will take it. I called my friend/co-worker Bob and we will restore it this winter at Schuyler Thomson's shop, it will be Bob's canoe.
I'll send you a pm.
Thaks
Robin

Hi Robin, one person in front of you, if that falls through I know you and I will be able to meet up.
So I guess this almost 100 year old boat will soon have a new home.
Jim

Hi Robin, one person in front of you, if that falls through I know you and I will be able to meet up.
So I guess this almost 100 year old boat will soon have a new home.
Jim
No problem Jim, Thanks for passing it on to whomever gets it.

Jim, let me know if Robin gets the canoe, I would like to send him some bagels to him when you pass my area. Also want to invite you both to paddle the Bronx River with me in a few weeks. Will keep you updated, and yes there will be traffic, sorry.

Cookannapurna...... You sent me a message expressing interest in this canoe but have yet to respond to any of my messages. Please get in touch with me so we can work out the details.
Stand by Robin.
Jim

I met Jim today and picked up the canoe. It's a beauty, hard to believe a 95 year old canoe has no broken/cracked ribs nor does it need planking from what I see. a Iittle stem work, some inwale tips, otherwise the woodwork is very nice. It's even been stripped of old varnish, wow!

Thanks Jim Nice meeting you and your wife

Good on ya Robin. It amazes me how many canoes you restore. Looking forward to seeing this one in it's new skin.

Back