• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Fly fishing and camping on the Withlacoochee this weekend

Reaction score
A few over-the-hill goof balls fishing, camping and doing a little drinking too. ;) Tom, Ron and I haven't been able to get out together in a few years so this was a lot fun, kind of a mini reunion...

Was maiden voyage for me in Stevet's Peregrine too, which is a beautiful and meticulously maintained canoe. So this trip report will be more a review. Ron offered to buy it several times throughout the weekend, low balling me of course...

This is my first solo canoe so the whole experience was a bit new to me. Started out at the ramp loaded down pretty good, guessing at least a 100lbs which was 75% hickory firewood and the rest ice and Stumpknocker beer (a local Gainesville brew). Some of you may notice from the photo's or video that I paddled the Peregrine sitting on the kneeling seat setup. I had the seat blocks with me to lower it to prescribed sitting height, but didn't bother changing it. For what I was doing here I found it to be plenty stable as it was at that height, except the angle of the seat was a bit uncomfortable after a while without readjusting myself a bit. I'll probably use Dave's standard sitting height blocks as a template and make a set roughly half way between them and the kneeling height and see how that works out on some more challenging water out along the coast.

I think its fair to say I found the Peregrine to be more stable than I was expecting, so much so that I stood up to fly fish quite a bit Sunday morning as we meandered back to the launch. This was without the 70lbs of firewood and beer on board too, so it was a bit more buoyant than it was on the way out to camp. Tom got a little video of me casting with 15-18mph gusts swirling overhead starting around 2:20. If you listen carefully you can hear me saying to Ron its maybe a bit wobbly, but definitely not tippy. :)

Was also able to maintain good pace with Tom in a few spirited sprints in his Monarch. A couple on the way out to camp with a full load and one multi-mile burst across open a stretch of open water into the 15-18mph headwind lightly loaded. I don't quite have the high cadence paddling thing figured out yet, but was able to keep Tom within a few boat lengths. Tom is a seasoned WaterTriber, completed the Fl Ultimate and Everglades Challenge several times already and is a very strong paddler. If we stayed at that pace for more than a few miles I'm sure Tom would continue to widen his lead. I don't have any experience with anything to compare the Peregrine to, but for a somewhat out of shape neanderthal I was very encouraged to be able to stay in the game against the ruddered Monarch and a strong paddler like Tom. Also, Tom let me borrow one of his fancy ultralight carbon ZRE paddles, otherwise the gap would have been much bigger had I used my clunky wood paddle from Dicks sporting goods. First paddle purchase will be one of those ZRE's...

All in all, very, very happy with the Peregrine, easy to accelerate, glides great loaded or not, really light and stable enough to stand and cast under suitable conditions. Dave's workmanship is exquisite. Both Ron and Tom are pretty savvy when it comes to glass and boatworks and both assumed the layup was bagged and infused. They were very impressed when I told them it was a hand lay up. I'm sure the more time I get in it and the more I learn how to paddle correctly the more I will like it.

Video is pretty rough, just another mash up of random clips from me and Tom's phone's, no editing etc, but hopefully worth a few laughs and 2.5 minutes of your life. You kinda' had to be there though. Ron hasn't surfaced yet with any content yet either, but if he ends up with anything worth sharing I'll update the post.

video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUslyFOHknw

Enjoy :)

Attachments

• photo6752.jpg
    photo6752.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6753.jpg
    photo6753.jpg
    398.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6754.jpg
    photo6754.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6755.jpg
    photo6755.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6757.jpg
    photo6757.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6756.jpg
    photo6756.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6759.jpg
    photo6759.jpg
    266.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6758.jpg
    photo6758.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6765.jpg
    photo6765.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6764.jpg
    photo6764.jpg
    459.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6763.jpg
    photo6763.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6762.jpg
    photo6762.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6761.jpg
    photo6761.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6760.jpg
    photo6760.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6766.jpg
    photo6766.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6771.jpg
    photo6771.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6770.jpg
    photo6770.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6769.jpg
    photo6769.jpg
    229.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6768.jpg
    photo6768.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6767.jpg
    photo6767.jpg
    373.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6772.jpg
    photo6772.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6775.jpg
    photo6775.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6774.jpg
    photo6774.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6773.jpg
    photo6773.jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I picked up a used Peregrine from Dave at his shop about a year ago and really love it. Unless I'm going out strictly for exercise paddling, it's the only canoe I've used since I purchased it; for straight ahead exercise I still pull out my Placid Boatworks "Shadow." I enjoy the way it handles and have found it incredibly stable on windy Adirondack lakes. Glad you're enjoying yours as well. I'm sure you'll catch many more wonderful fish out of it in the years to come.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time..be well.

snapper

thx snapper, I'm in a similar situation. I still have the Algonquin 16 for my workout boat or anytime I need the extra stability and/or load capacity. The tandem paddled solo feels a bit more like an aircraft carrier compared to the Peregrine though, especially in challenging conditions. I was expecting a difference, just not quite as much. I was pleasantly surprised and now pretty sure I could do 20 miles a day without much fuss in the Peregrine even with 7 day tripping load. Working on a plan to test that theory now though. :)

Thanks for the pics! Nice write up. Those ZRE paddles are light aren't they? I've been eyeballing a bendy for a while now. Glad it was a good trip.

Jason

Nice pix. Nice boat. Nice balance.

Is that the south or north Withlacoochie and what section? I've paddled both rivers, and wish I were there or anywhere in the paddling paradise of the Sunshine State.

at one point I thought I heard wind in leaves.

yes indeed, it was gusting 15-18+, but lucky for us there are many sections of the river that are narrow enough to save us from the brunt of it. We got our due out where the river opens up though on the 2.5 mile home stretch to the launch. Other than beating into a headwind it was a bit refreshing since the temps were around 94-95. I think Friday was a record high at 97. Winter is definitely over down here.

Is that the south or north Withlacoochie and what section?

South, map 3 & 4 http://dep.state.fl.us/gwt/guide/designated_paddle/WithSouth_guide.pdf

Jason, yeah unreal light. The one I was using was 10oz. I love the beauty, function and asthetics of wood paddles, but for any kind of endurance paddling the carbons seem like the obvious choice. I know I'll be using them for WaterTribe training and events no question.

Thanks for sharing! Great looking new to you Peregrine. Bass on top water bugs....doesn't get much better than that!

Mike

Great trip report! Good times with good friends! Catching those bass on the fly must have been a blast!

No Title

thanks guys, it was a great trip in every respect...

And yeah, catching anything on a fly rod is fun, heck just casting a fly rod is fun, after you figure it out of course. :)

Come this time of year in these parts though tarpon are the main attraction and I'm about 0/6 on them right now. Spectacular, fascinating, patience testing, nerve racking and tackle busting game fish.

Anyway, there is a kind of soothing magic and innocent fun to small water pan fishing though. In some respects its like being 10 years old again and discovering nature. Steady, if not lazy action and the prize makes for a tasty meal in the great outdoors too.

Haven't done a trip report since the original post either. Too lazy I suppose, so I'll piggy back on this one with a few pic's from a couple of sweet water trips since to spice things up a bit. Jumping tarpon shot is a couple years old, but since I mentioned them, its a fun pic to look at :), especially if you were there. Taken off the beach side of Boca Grande pass, Fl. The freshwater shots are from a section of the Withlacoochee River north of Inverness, Fl, one of my favorite sections.

Enjoy....

Attachments

• photo6583.jpg
    photo6583.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7227.jpg
    photo7227.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7228.jpg
    photo7228.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7230.jpg
    photo7230.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7229.jpg
    photo7229.jpg
    422.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7231.jpg
    photo7231.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7232.jpg
    photo7232.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7233.jpg
    photo7233.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7234.jpg
    photo7234.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7235.jpg
    photo7235.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7237.jpg
    photo7237.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7238.jpg
    photo7238.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7239.jpg
    photo7239.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo7240.jpg
    photo7240.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 0
lol Mike, I can assure you the grub was delicious.

ftr - those are cheese grits too, mo betta for us rednecks...

Back