• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Fjallraven Vidda Pro Pants

Reaction score
I've been eyeing these pants for a couple of years now and a recent birthday was the right opportunity to treat myself. In the past I have used the Original Bug Shirt Pants (I know it's a mouthful) and the cargo style pants were comfy enough but the lack of belt loops and functional pockets was a drawback. I then ordered the premium pants from them and the fit was way wrong. 1 size up I drowned and they just seemed to be cut wrong. But they were durable enough for a couple of seasons until I blew the crotch out. No wonder with the way the fit.

I've see a few endorsement of the Viddo Pro from a few youtubers and of course everybody's favourite canoe clown, Kevin Callan. Let me say these are not cheap, $159CAD for pair of pants is fairly steep in my books but it's sort of like the Grandfors Buks axe or the Warbonnet Hammock, quality does not come cheap.

I ordered a pair of the long's but they were way too long, so switched them for a regular length leg. They don't do exchanges, but they will credit you back once returned in sellable condition and you can buy another item. Mailed it back on Monday and had a credit to my account by Thursday. Very happy with that.

Now onto the pants themselves. Wow! Very well made, attention to detail and the fit is excellent. Best fitting pants I own bar none. Room where you need it and not sloppy loose. The 6 pockets are functionally useful and well thought out. Gusseted tight pockets allow for you to store things in there comfortable. They are all sized slightly different so you can find the right pocket for the right thing pretty easily. The narrow back thigh pocket has an opening at the bottom so you can retrieve what is in the pocket while sitting down. The pant legs are articulated for comfort and the cuffs are adjustable. They also have an unadvertised clip to secure the pants to your boot laces like a pair of gators.

The fabric is a really tight weave they call G-1000, it's quick dry like those light nylon style and tough like a pair of Carhartts. You can buy an piece of Greenland wax which is Beeswax and Paraffin and through an impregnation process you make the pants water/wind proof. Handy to go to specific areas like the fronton your thighs and butt region. There is reinforced second layer of fabric at the butt and knees and you can also put pads in the knees for kneeling in the canoe.

Only time will tell if they are long lasting but they sure look to be able to take a beating like 14 days of continuous use in the boreal forests.

http://www.fjallravencanada.com/vidda-pro-trousers-regular.html

I have these http://www.fjallravencanada.com/keb-gaiter-trousers.html and they are the most confortable pants I ever owned! There well made, rugged. The one thing that is not true, is the ability of the G-1000 to be waterproof by applying the wax. It is not. I saturated mine with wax and they are not water proof, water resistant at best and not much!! Still a great pant, I wish they were not made in china!

Complicated sizing guide! I went with a pair of RailRiders a couple of years ago, very rugged canoe tripping pants. Think I would need more convincing before I layed out 249 smackers.

I had a canoe partner on a work trip of two weeks in Wabakimi wear these. And I've seen a fleet of people from Scandanavia at the WCHA Assembly in them for all their visit, then return in the same pants five years later.

They are an investment. Probably the last pair of tripping pants you will ever need. My hubby has RailRiders and can get a few seasons out before they wear out.

Mem, the Vidda Pro are only $159.99. For sizes, the 58 = 40", 60 = 42". And yes buying clothes online is a bit tricky. Leslie who runs the shop here in Canada is based out of Montreal and is very helpful.

Canotrouge, what is the big difference in the Kebs? Are they insulated?

Mem, the Vidda Pro are only $159.99. For sizes, the 58 = 40", 60 = 42". And yes buying clothes online is a bit tricky. Leslie who runs the shop here in Canada is based out of Montreal and is very helpful.

Canotrouge, what is the big difference in the Kebs? Are they insulated?

No there not, but instead of being made all with G1000, they have some panels that are soft shell fabric for more flexibility. I'm on season two and they show no sign of fatigue!

Ho and I have a friend of mine that is a geologist he spend well over 60 days a year playing with rocks in the field, and he got a pair this year after seeing how well a coworker's pair have lasted!! He's really happy, but again don't believe them when they say it is waterproof cause it's not!

Even the G1000 won't ever be waterproof, my pants have lots of G1000 that I waxed a lot, like a lot, and never been waterproof, not even close! My geologist friend pants are all G1000, he used a lot of his wax bloc on his pants, and not waterproof what so ever. A splash will bead off to a certain degree, but not waterproof!!

They look pretty nice. My son and I have had good luck with 5.11 pants and shirts. Great water repellency, stitching, and very secure pockets

Ouch, now I know how those Scandinavians stay so thin. After they buy a pair of pants there's no money left for groceries.
O crap. How do women have any hope? Should Karin and Christy and I just stay home and have babies? Obviously that is where we belong from this size chart. Hips fit and the waist is way too big...

Back