• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

First Spring with a Canoe -- When to go? Where?

Reaction score
Hello again,

Hope everyone here has had a good winter.

So...as previously posted, I bought my first canoe last August and upgraded it in September. I waxed the bottom and stored it carefully in the garage throughout this past Michigan winter. But now, the lakes around here are about half melted and the other half is likely to melt within the next week or two and I'm wondering how quickly people get back out on the water for trips. I'll definitely be getting out on my neighborhood lakes for conditioning and general practice paddling as soon as the ice has melted, but I will be staying closer to shore.

I know from my sailing days that the water is COLD this time of year. A sailor I met from Lake Superior said the only reason he wore a PFD was to make it easier to find his body. So I'm guessing that if I do go on a trip, choosing a destination where I can stay close to shore is a good idea, i.e. no crossing of larger lakes. I'm also assuming that high winds are much more likely to be an issue in the spring than late summer or fall. So is it normal to wait for the water to warm up a bit or is it more common to just get out there as soon as the ice is gone? I recognize that different folks are likely to have different takes, but again drawing on my sailing years, only the newbies rush to launch their boats this early in the spring around here.

The other thought besides cold water and high winds are the bugs. I know the UP of Michigan and Algonquin have bugs later in the spring that are a no-go for me, but I suspect there may be a period of time (a brief period of time?) when the days are warm enough but the bugs aren't yet bad. (I just finished a thru-hike of the Foothills Trail in the Carolinas last week and feel I timed it quite well -- low temps only got into the 20's and I only saw one or two mosquitoes in the five days I was out. Link attached.)

I'd like to get back to Algonquin because I've been there and know a little about what I'd be getting into, but I'm definitely willing to consider other places. The Adirondacks come to mind, but I have no idea if that's a beginner-friendly locale. I'm also considering a float down the Au Sable here in Michigan, but again, I've never just floated down a river before and don't know if that's something a solo beginner should do for the first time when the water is so cold. I do know that rivers are higher in the spring due to snow melt and may therefore be more dangerous for guys like me with virtually no experience in faster water.

I have the luxury (now that I'm retired) of being able to wait for a suitable weather window...but does that mean July or August for most people? Or just the first few warmer days after the ice has melted?

TIA

Jim

You have to dress for immersion.. Likely if you dump you wont get right back in the canoe. We wear drysuits usually especially on rivers until late May. Ice out is usually late April about a week before Algonquin ices out. Bugs don't emerge for three weeks after ice out and don't start biting for two weeks after that.
Most capsizes occur for no reason at all. They don't happen when you are attentive as in waves. They happen when you look down for something or get your head out of the boundaries of the gunwales as in looking backwards.

After ice goes out there is a brief calm period from what I have watched. Then the lake starts its turnover and the faster heating land ( when its bare of snow which will be July for me I think) will create a pressure gradient that generates waves due to the cold water.

I have canoe tripped two hours after ice out. ( Lobster Lake and West Branch Penobscot) . That was May 15 and the latest is all the way to November. Autumn water is warm. Remember water has a high specific heat and cools more slowly than air.

As you seem to be gung ho check out drysuits. Affordable ones. https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

At least please a paddling wetsuit.

There is a famous ice out race in Maine. The Kenduskeag Stream 17 mile race. Not all are wet or drysuited but there are a number of fire departments on the river with rescue teams.
Its in April. http://kenduskeagstreamcanoerace.com/

700 entries.

You only mention lakes. Are you open to rivers? I've done the Manistee River starting in Grayling twice, mid May both times. This May I hope to do the AuSable also starting near Grayling.

I don't know about rivers because I haven't yet paddled any that had a noticeable current. I bought a book about paddling canoes and it is split in two main sections; flat water and rivers. So there does appear to be a different skill set required for river paddling and I do intend to explore that aspect this year.

I have backpacked the Manistee River-North Country Trail several times, including a couple times in May, and the river certainly looked easily navigable as long you avoid the blowdowns in the water.

Last edited:
You have to dress for immersion...

As you seem to be gung ho check out drysuits. Affordable ones. https://www.mythicdrysuits.com/

At least please a paddling wetsuit...

Lots of good info Yellowcanoe, thanks. And the suggestion for a drysuit is a good one, but they are quite pricey, even the "affordable" versions! I've also started looking into paddling wetsuits and do believe I'll be able to find something that will meaningfully increase my cold-water safety.

Jim

Back