• Happy Scream Day! 😱

​Fire in a Can No 5 (and 6)

G

Time to make another Fire in a Can. The germ of the FIAC idea came from Maine Sea Kayak guides, so I thought I’d make one for that purpose incorporating what I’ve learned so far.

Step 1, find a suitable pot. For starters, as a kayak FIAC, it needs to be hatch sized and rustproof. A trip to Goodwill turned up a 6 ½” wide x 3 ½” deep stainless steel kitchen pot for a couple of bucks.

The handle came off easily and I had something that would stow in a hatch.

Step 2, cut the wick. Find a thickly corrugated box and cut a strip of cardboard to height and length. The needed length is unknown until I start coiling the cardboard wick in the pot, so I cut something way longer than needed and trim to fit.

I have learned that the “wick” height should be a bit shorter that the top of the pot, so that when the FIAC is full of hot melted wax it doesn’t it doesn’t leak over the edge on unlevel surfaces. A bit of pot lip also provides some wind screen. So for this build a cardboard wick 3” tall.It helps to roll and re-roll the cardboard coil a couple of times until it holds a spiral on its own.

Step 3, cut and fold a half dozen cardboard spacers to help hold the spiral wick apart. A couple of those can be taller than the main wick to provide easy starter points.

Step 4, coil up the spiral wick and spacers, aiming for a finger’s width of wax area between the coils. Play with rolling (and re-rolling) that until you have a satisfactory honeycomb for the wax.

Ok, that’s not much of a spiral, but I have been increasing the wax space with each FIAC, and up to some (yet unreached) point the more wax the better. BTW - the SS pot took 3 feet of cardboard wick plus spacers.

Step 4, melt some wax. Melting wax is the most time consuming part of this, and wax I got.

FIAC #5 will be a give away, and I have a unused Dollar Store stock pot identical to a friend’s FIAC #4, which was built oversized for family car camping travels. I’ve got wax, the stock pot and plenty of cardboard. Why not.

Step 5. While I have a pot of melted wax on the stove I’d like to make some custom “feeder” bricks to refill the FIACs. Some feeder bricks with citronella oil for rational purposes, some with “Funky Flames”, just to be, well, funky.

The easiest way I’ve found to make feeder bricks with additives is to silicon spray some small containers and pour the melted wax in those. Old pipette tip boxes in this case. Once hardened the wax will pop free from the siliconed plastic.

Step 6, pour some melted wax into the pots and feeder brick containers. Sea kayak sized FIAC, car camping FIAC and the small roaster pan FIAC I’ve been using for a few years:

Step 7, melt and pour additional wax the next day to fill any voids that as the cardboard wick soaks in wax overnight. Knock the feeder bricks out of the plastic containers.

Well, that should be a few year’s supply of feeder bricks, including some oddities. Some are straight wax, some have citronella or Funky Flames.

The sea kayak sized FIAC weighs 3 lbs 7 oz after the wax pours.

Great homemade heater, can you post a photo of one of these in action.
Instant mini camp fire

Norton, those Fire in a Can things are simply awesome in places where campfires are not permitted or wood is scarce or unavailable. In places where a fire pan and pack out ashes is required I’d much rather use a FIAC, and everyone who has seen one lit has wanted to build one.

For one thing it is a single flick of a bic, from this

To this, in less than a minute

I sometimes light one as a brief mid-day warming fire. The beauty there is that I can put the lid on and the fire is safely out as fast as it was started and I don’t have a burning ember campfire to deal with. BTW, when you put the lid on at night it becomes instantly dark. Freaky dark.

They throw a lot of light when lit.

Here's Mike firecanning with some of his boats in November 2014.

DSCN2257.JPG

DSCN2258.JPG

Looks great. We have quite a few no ground fire sites on Isle Royale and this may fit. Paddlers and hikers can use stick stoves for cooking and we have so many folks that just want to have a campfire of some sort. How long will one burn? Can't stand citronella but crazy flame sounds fun. What do they do? Joel Beckwith currently swinging in his hammock - Flamingo campground

Looks great. We have quite a few no ground fire sites on Isle Royale and this may fit. Paddlers and hikers can use stick stoves for cooking and we have so many folks that just want to have a campfire of some sort. How long will one burn? Can't stand citronella but crazy flame sounds fun. What do they do? Joel Beckwith currently swinging in his hammock - Flamingo campground

Rocky, the Fire in a Can idea actually comes from Joel, and I built the kayak hatch sized one thinking he could use it when guiding trips. Fire on a chickee anyone?

How long will one burn? Well, more or less forever if you add feeder bricks when the wax gets low. The top of the cardboard wick chars, but even it stays intact.

Ask Joel if he wants me to mail that hatch sized FIAC to him in Florida.

It is like a giant candle
I don't cook on the campfire, just like to sit by it at night. Great bit of help for me

The hardest material part of making a FIAC is getting enough wax. Even the small hatch sized one has a couple of pounds of wax in it, and having some feeder bricks is an necessity.

I save candle stubs from home use, but those don’t go very far. I did manage to find some big candles in the Dollar Store and one at Goodwill to use in past FIACs.

When we built a friend’s FIAC #4 for her family car camping travels she bought slabs from Candlewic:

http://www.candlewic.com/store/product.aspx?q=c49,p522&title=145-Melt-Point-Wax---4045EP

The 145F wax was what they recommended, and they had it on sale at the time.

I just realized my three brothers each need one of these FIAC, they just don't know it yet.
What's the best and safest way to top up the wax level when it runs low?

Thanks Mike.

Here's a different fire in a can, using a coffee can or one quart paint can, a roll of toilet paper and 70-90% alcohol. It's used by ice fishermen and truckers as an emergency source of heat. When the alcohol gets low you put out the flame, pour some more alcohol in, and re-light it.

I just realized my three brothers each need one of these FIAC, they just don't know it yet.

That will require a fair amount of wax.

The FIAC’s I have made so far contain between 3 and 12 lbs of wax (kayak hatch version vs giant car camping pot) depending on the size, so if saving candle stubs from home it will take a long time to collect the quantity of wax required. And potentially result in an oddly scented FIAC. Bayberry cucumber floral frou frou is not what I’m looking for in when sitting around the fire.

I did manage to find some candles at the Dollar Store and Goodwill, but even then the wax cost per pound was pricey. I thought about asking for candle stubs from local churches, but other than begging for leftover wax I have no other business in such places. I called some local candle shops, but none in my area sold bulk wax.

The easiest and most cost effective source is to find bulk wax from a candle making supply retailer, especially if you can find one locally and avoid shipping costs.

BTW, a correction. The wax that Candlewic suggested was 140F wax, which I see they still have on sale:

http://www.candlewic.com/store/produ...raffin-Wax-140

It is easier to start with clean bulk wax and not have to scoop old candle debris out of the melt pot.

If you are making three (or four, one for yourself?) mid-sized FIAC’s and a supply of feeder bricks for each one you’ll probably want 30 – 40 lbs of wax. On the plus side while you are cutting cardboard wicks and melting wax this is one of those projects where making several is as easy as making one.

A word of caution. When pouring the melted wax into the pot do not wear Crocs. It helps to have a smaller can or cup available to dip the wax from the melt pot and pour accurately. Trust me on both counts.

FWIW the 10 x 3 round roasting pan I use contains 5 lbs of wax, and the larger oval roasting pan 8 lbs. I like the oval one better as a group FIAC, but that was a gift to a friend.

You can estimate the quantity of wax by filling the pot(s) with water and measuring that.

A word about FIAC pots. You’ll be sticking the cover atop something sporting 2’ tall flames, so unless you want to manscape your knuckle hair you absolutely want a pot with a handle on the lid.

If space is not a concern (as with the kayak version) having handles on the sides is useful as well, to keep your fingers away from the sooty lip. Small roasting pans work very well, and with the raised lid on those on those you can store feeder bricks inside the pot.

One note of unnecessary caution. I am sure you are smart enough not to try an initial test fire with the FIAC still in the shop. Seriously, remember, it goes from this

To this a lot faster than you think.

Last edited:
Mike, is there any concern about melting feeder bricks pooling on the wick spot where you place them rather than spreading evenly into all the crannies and crevices? I'm thinking that the cardboard folds might block spreading. If that's an issue, would it make sense to have ice cube size feeder wax to spread around more fully?

This is a good idea for my van camping in public campgrounds instead of buying bundles of firewood and then trying to baton and featherstick them with a SAK or froe.

Are you psychic Mike? Immediately after posting I thought."Wait a minute. Why am I not making a fourth FIAC, for me?"
I like the looks of the smaller pot. I'd like to try adding citronella candle wax to the mix, to see how effective they might be. I'm guessing a pot of 2-3 bricks-pounds each? I don't suppose leaving pot "cool touch handles" on would be a problem? They wouldn't be used for tripping, so they needn't be streamlined. I'd hope the pot handles could stand the heat, if they're oven ready. I'm already imagining myself getting all fussy about the attractiveness of the pot. I wonder how I can personalize each one?

Mike, is there any concern about melting feeder bricks pooling on the wick spot where you place them rather than spreading evenly into all the crannies and crevices? I'm thinking that the cardboard folds might block spreading. If that's an issue, would it make sense to have ice cube size feeder wax to spread around more fully?

This is a good idea for my van camping in public campgrounds instead of buying bundles of firewood and then trying to baton and featherstick them with a SAK or froe.

The wax feeder bricks flow into all of the cracks and crannies and once melted the surface is level. Overfilling is an issue if the wax level is too close to the lip of the pot and the feeder brick too large.

I hadn’t thought about using an old ice cube tray to make feeder bricks or briquettes. The ones I have made and use are the size of a bar of soap. I don’t use the FIAC every time I want a fire, and would prefer a traditional fire when wood is available and I have time to gather it and linger long beside the fire. But when wood is an issue or I want something quickly lighted and quickly out the FIAC is a fine solution.

I like the looks of the smaller pot. I'd like to try adding citronella candle wax to the mix, to see how effective they might be. I'm guessing a pot of 2-3 bricks-pounds each? I don't suppose leaving pot "cool touch handles" on would be a problem? They wouldn't be used for tripping, so they needn't be streamlined. I'd hope the pot handles could stand the heat, if they're oven ready. I'm already imagining myself getting all fussy about the attractiveness of the pot. I wonder how I can personalize each one?

The kayak sized FIAC is the smallest I’ve built and I haven’t lit it, so I don’t know how much light and heat it will provide. The larger roaster pan versions have 5 (round pan) to 8 (oval pan) pounds of wax and work very well. I expect pot handles could withstand the heat since most of the flame goes upwards (I do use a folding windscreen when it is blowy).

How to personalize the pots? If you have a metal etching tool you could engrave your brother’s names or some design on the side of the pots.

Thank's Mike for posting this. I'm about to make one with a small oval roasting pan I just couldn't throw away when we cleaned out my uncles house. My question is, what happens if I put in a bit less wick. I was thinking just an oval wick about an inch in from the edge. It might not burn up the wax so fast, but any quesses on how it will look? Worst case scenario, I remelt the newly made FIAC and stuff in some more cardboard.
Jim

Last edited:
Thank's Mike for posting this. I'm about to make one with a small oval roasting pan I just couldn't throw away when we cleaned out my uncles house. My question is, what happens if I put in a bit less wick. I was thinking just an oval wick about an inch in from the edge. It might not burn up the wax so fast, but any quesses on how it will look? Worst case scenario, I remelt the newly made FIAC and stuff in some more cardboard.
Jim

Jim, your guess is as good as mine. My somewhat educated guess being that more wick equals more/bigger flames and also faster wax consumption, but I have yet to find the minimal wick quantity for decent flames.

The sea kayak FIAC, which had the least wick of any I have made so far, is in the Everglades and I’m looking forward to a report on how it flames. Your suggestion does have me thinking though, and I may try using a simple X of cardboard wick on the next one I make.

Of all the various pans I have used I do like the oval roasting pans best. If you go the oval wick an inch from the edge please post your flamage results.

Ok, so I got to it this evening. Since I was using far less cardboard I decided to melt the wax right in the roaster and avoid all the worry about crocs and spilling etc. It melted quite quickly and was ready almost before I had the wick ready.

The cardboard didn't want to keep an oval shape on its own so I had to put in some cross pieces.

A couple pieces of wire so I didn't worry about anything falling over and it was good to go.

Here it is inserted in the roaster.

I was all prepared to have to weight it down, but it didn't float at all. It is an 8x12 pan but the actual wax filled area is 7x11. It took 4 1/4 pounds of wax to set this up and I have another pound of wax to cut up for feeder blocks. I'll let you know how it looks when I light it up, maybe tomorrow. I might do a round one for my daughter and have the wick be a peace symbol.
Jim

Cool idea - thanks for posting the pics Mike. Although tempted, I feel I should shy away from fire-related projects after my latest alky stove fiasco ;-)

Jim

Well after everything cooled and contracted last night I did a second pour and added anothe 3/4 of a pound to the ol' roaster. Total now stands at 5 pounds even.
Jim

Back