• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Feedback Requested Northstar Northwind 17 or B17 in Blacklite?

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am trying to decide between one of the following boats:

Northwind 17

OR

Northstar B17

Both in the blacklite layup.

The purpose for the boat is for multi-day lake and river trips, tandem. :) Weight is important - hence the blacklite - but so is efficiency and versatility.

For the record, I have a Bell Merlin II and a Wenonah Prospector 15 (tandem) in the garage.

Personally, I have a mad passion for canoes and kayaks with rocker, I simply love to dance with my boats (hence the B17). I lean towards the B17 for this reason, but wonder if I am giving up to much efficiency on flat-water by doing so. (recalling the prospector solo in a headwind = painful)

Leading to the fact that I also have a tendency to be lazy and would rather not work too hard trying to keep up with a group on long paddles (enter the Northwind 17).

No, I cant have both... :-( (sigh)

I don't know if anyone here has paddled both/either of these boats, but I would love to hear any feedback you may have.

As always - thank you in advance!

Kathy

Bow rocker aids in speed. Stern Rocker aids in yaw if your forward stroke has any kind of sweep component
I havent paddled either of your candidates
but unless you are doing long river trips with the need to adjust angles as in back ferries the regular Northwind would be best for lake trips
You may be able to make it dance by heeling the boat
I was forced to teach tandem FreeStyle once with a Wenonah Minnesota II. Heeled almost to the rail it would do almost a 180 using momentum and one paddle placement

Hey FW. I had a Bell Northwind which is the same boat as the NW17 and I sold it because I was disappointed in the efficiency with loads under 500 pounds. But I was never disappointed with the handling...the boat turns eagerly and responds to even small inputs from either bow or stern. I used to have a Bell Northstar and now I have the very similar Northstar Polaris. Those tandems cruise more efficiently than NW17 and have an almost magical feel. If your loads will be under 500 pounds I suggest you consider NW16 or Polaris.

Back