• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Eastern Maine Canoe Trail: Anybody done it?

easternME.jpg It's a thing Mike Krepner put together before he went on to map out the Northern Forest Canoe Trail. From the Kellyland Dam on the St. Croix it heads west through the lakes, up Grand Lake Stream, a lift over at Dobsis Dam, then the Sharkfin Portage over to 4th Machias. The centerpiece of the trip is the 3 mile Gassabius Portage through the "Bogs of Discontinuity" as described by Carp. Nicatous Lake then on down the Passadumkeag to the Penobscot.

Last edited:
I have spent some time on 4th Machias and remember watching moose every morning in the bog at the western end of the lake. Dale Toby, a canoe builder and guide from Grand Lake Stream has alot of history on that lake, his grandfather had the first camp which is right at the put in now, he used to walk in before there where roads, probably from West Grand Lake. Dale is a good guy and could probably help you out with info. I sent his email address in a pm.
Robin

No Title

Speaking of the Bogs of Discontinuity...

Attachments

• photo2312.jpg
    photo2312.jpg
    627.5 KB · Views: 9
Oh man, my feet feel muddy and my arms are itching with bug bites and my head is pouring sweat just LOOKING at that portage through the Bogs of Discontinuity.

Another fine mess you've gotten us into. Looks like I'll need the portage cart with shoulder straps.

Back