• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

Dog food options

Reaction score
I noticed others here take a dog. I've been using two sizes of bear cans to take his everyday food, depending on the duration of the trip. I can fit about 14 days of his food in the large can. I'm wondering what others do on longer trips. Is there a lightweight food option out there I don't know about? I'm also done with multiple bear cans for solo trips...too heavy. Thinking about a 60L can or something. I'd like to lighten up my partner's food supply and how I carry it.

Last edited:
I didn't find any easy options for lightening my dog's food on our trips. Some people make their own dog food and dehydrate it but I guess I don't love her quite that much.

What I did was check the nutrition values of the food she normally eats and then went shopping for something that had more fat and calories stuffed into the same portion size. I was able to find one in the same brand (science diet) that was considerably more fat and calorie dense than what she normally eats. After figuring out the calorie content of each I could determine how much of the new food to bring. I think it was about a 25% decrease in weight and volume for the same calorie content.

Her food, like mine, gets packaged in freezer weight baggies and carried in a blue barrel.

Alan

I used to have my lab carry his own regular dry dog food (Large Breed Iams)in his pack, until I realized I could trade his food for denser items from my pack. Since then he has normally carried most of the kitchen; skillet, jetboil, fuel, etc. The heaviest I have managed to get his pack was 24# on my fish scale and with it he did better than I did on a couple days with portages measured in miles. At night I simply hang his pack alongside the food pack. I have yet to use a barrel. I have not been on any trips with the dog where bears were present and hanging trees were not. A fit 94# dog also makes for great black bear deterrent. Not so good with browns and wolves I imagine.

After admiring some of the tack used to pack horses on a hunting trip a couple years ago I have considered having a set of leather and canvas saddle bags made for him with more volume. Maybe Cooke could whip a lightweight set up? Boomer's current pack is an XL Palisades pack from Ruffwear and I envision utilizing the same harness with the custom bags.

Bothwell - Interesting! I have not seen dehydrated dog food for sale before. I should get some and see how he does with it as he has had problems switching commercial food brands in the past. Much to think about as I'm always planning that 30-day trip with him. Whether it will happen in his lifetime or not remains to be seen. Gotta build the canoe for it first unless Alan cuts me a deal on that Shearwater... Heck, maybe I'll get lucky and find a Sportspal for sale LOL

Hunting season has me again considering building a large smoker which could also be used to prepare tripping food for the dog. I know sled dog teams are traditionally fed smoked salmon. I wonder how smoked fish and meats compare to dry dog food in terms of calories-per-pound? I supplement Boomer's commercial food with eggs, fish and meat already. Especially with fish when we are tripping. I suppose a dehydrator does the job just as well but I'm not going to let an electric appliance ruin my walk-in fieldstone and cedar smoker dream.

For the record, I've watched two border Collies chase a big griz out of camp.

My boy is 60#. He wears a PFD during travel. Don't think I want to mess with changing him into a pack. He loves to swim in every puddle we pass,so a pack would be cruel. Thanks.

We introduced our pup to the water and had him swimming back and forth between boats as a little puppy. Now, you can't keep him out of the water. We had him in a float plane last summer on a fly in trip, met his first bear. 4 canoe trips and he's not even 2 years old. I'll leave the wife behind before him...and have on 2 occasions.

Attachments

• photo10708.jpg
    photo10708.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo10709.jpg
    photo10709.jpg
    425.4 KB · Views: 0
Zac, I have a friend who had his dog carry gear in packs, while he carried light weight dog food. It was fun, until the dog went off and lost the pack under a log or in a ravine or, well, somewhere. Now he carries the important stuff (food and gear—for himself and his pooch), and the dog carries beer. Fred says it slows the dog down, but wouldn’t make an unsafe trip if the beer were lost. It might not be as happy a trip, but everyone would still eat and have a place to sleep.

Black-Fly—pretty boat.

Pringles - That is a very good point. Most house dogs are verbally uncontrollable when they spot a chipmunk, I'd hate to see what would happen if they were confronted with a bear, spook a deer, or stumble upon a pack of wolves. I would not tolerate going on a serious trip with a poorly disciplined dog and would certainly not trust them with important items.

I've thought about this for a while. I have immense confidence in my dog's obedience and abilities. I am very lucky and blessed to have a dog as capable as Boomer is and to have been able to spend as much time with him in his six years as I have. I know I could verbally call him off of a bear if the time came. Strange dogs will not cause him break a heel when his pack is on (we've practiced this). If he lost his pack, I know that he would be able to lead me to it. He routinely does this with all kinds of objects, even ones that he doesn't know like he knows 'pack'. He has led me back to camp many times for practice and even once when I myself (without powering up the GPS) was lost. Hiking, of course; his navigation skills on the water are questionable at best.

Regardless, I'd hate to have a trip ruined if my dog misbehaved and was either lost or lost his packs. At the end of the day he is still a dog. I made a list tonight of what critical items he has carried before and there are a couple items that I have decided will no longer go on him unless a suitable substitute is in a pack carried by a human.

I'm with you on this one Zac. Kathleen and I have had a rescue Siberian husky for a year now. He loves to run. When we first had him, we would unleash him about once a day. He generally hung around, and always came back after bursts of short sprints. And then one day he didn't. Was gone for two to four hours, often at night. So we quit unleashing him.

But he loved to run. And it was exciting to see him run. So we started letting him off about three hundred yards away from his house, just before his supper time, at about 4:00 pm. He sprinted back and forth between his house and us, before finally sitting down at his house. This worked great. Until one day it didn't. Saw some deer, and instinct took over. Off he went. Thirty minutes later we saw him chasing a coyote up by the grid road, about a quarter of a mile away. He came back about 90 minutes later. So we stopped unleashing him.

But he loved to run. And it was exciting to see him run. So powerful and athletic. So we started training him to a dog whistle, while out on the trail, with a thirty-foot line. He always sprinted back at full speed to get his treat of liver. Then we started letting him off when we were about 500 yards apart. He always ran full speed back and forth to get his liver treat. We had succeeded.

And then last week he sprinted up to me, took the liver treat, and bolted across the open field toward the bush. We both blew our dog whistles. He didn't even slow down or turn his head. He was on the trail of deer, and instinct had taken over. He came back about thirty minutes later. He is well trained, I think. But he can not be trusted completely. I have seen it written that Siberian huskys should never be unleashed in unfenced areas. I am not an expert, but our dog supports that recommendation. We could not take him on wilderness trips.

Our dog is part husky. She carries a food pack on hikes but on canoe trips she wears a pfd. Puts it on in the morning and takes it off in camp. That way she knows that travelling is over for the day.. She also wears a bear bell to help us locate her and also to let folk know she is coming down te trail. On portgae trails she'll run in front or just off to the side parallel to the trail.

On our early canoe trips and hikes we had problems with her disappearing into the bush or running after deer. We opted to use a training collar. Tested on us first. Oww! And then spent many hours using the beep function with voice commands and treat reinforcement. She now comes back on the beep if she is off exploring. It still takes a zap to recall her when she is in full flight after an animal or to pull her off a carcass but otherwise just knowing it is on tells her we are serious.

At night though she sleeps on the leash attached to my wrist even in the tent. One time she pulled me across the tent and nearly out the door when a herd of elk appearred in our clearing in the middle of the night. It's a hassle but the only way we feels safe that we won't lose her after dark..

I think our husky was trained as a sled dog, as he knows the commands Gee and Haw. Is also very afraid of the pulling harness, and tries to run away if he sees it. He was probably abused during his training period, and will not pull. That's probably why he was abandoned at a nearby farm. For walking on the trail, we have a walking harness, which doesn't need to go over his hard. Even so, even after a year, he still tries to get away. Can't see him wanting to wear a PFD!

We have read that husky's have a strong prey instinct. Ours definitely does, and is always hunting. On most walks he catches a couple of meadow voles and/or shrews under the snow. It would be a constant worry on a canoe trip.

4Health Proformance keeps a very active border collie full with one cup in the morning and another at night. Other foods take more. Can be ordered on line from Tractor Supply. We feed them a ever changing deit. From cooking for them to dry food. He gets a light red belly if feed dog food with corn. This is rice based

Back