• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Day trip solo

Reaction score
The weather has been warming up more and more every day. I got it into my head that this year I need to make up for the past two years that I didnt get on the water much. This is going to be the summer of many trips. I kicked it off with an April run up the Maskwa River. This is a nice little river that is two hours from us on Crown land. We were there once a few years back and a fellow from Manitoba Canoeists did a video trip report last fall.
So cue the mighty Buick tripping car complete with racks and a trunk full of chainsaws and gas cans. Just in case. It took me until about 10.30 to get there and the " road "deteriorated into a quad trail. So much for that idea. But, a walk was in order to assess said road. I went in for an hour or so to the first port and came back, put the boat in the water and was headed upstream by 1.00.

I had already seen lots of grouse and small animals and added turtles, ducks and geese to the list. Two beavers and a muskrat also. The first port was nice and obvious from the water and is my idea of luxury. Basically a quad trail and nice and wide. About 100 meters. There are some pretty rapids there with lots of driftwood piled up. Reminded me of Alberta. This was where we had stopped and fished when we were there years ago. With such a nice port I thought it would be rude of me not to carry on. Am I ever glad I did. The next set of rapids was awesome. I tied up alongside a log in the most gorgeous blue pool with white foamies swirling away in all directions.

The port was nice and wide and clean here too but it did climb about 100 feet over 300meters. Gramma left the boat at the bottom for this one. There is a sort of forestry road/quad trail with a bridge over the river at that point.I had a nice chat with a couple of families that were stopped for a break there. The port carries on another 200 meters to the second set of rapids that cut around both sides of a small island. Nice drop again and the same piles of bleached out driftwood. So pretty. Fishing season opens in a couple of weeks and I would like to try those pools for pickerel.
The lake that feeds this river is about 50 km inland and not too accessable, other than by the river which gets pretty narrow and twisty. Looks like a challenge I will be taking soon. I think an accomplice might be good for that one though.

And I am starting the season off with a bang...one wood tick. All things considered it was a nice day in April to be out paddling.

Christine

Attachments

• photo6789.jpg
    photo6789.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6790.jpg
    photo6790.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6791.jpg
    photo6791.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6793.jpg
    photo6793.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6794.jpg
    photo6794.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6795.jpg
    photo6795.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6797.jpg
    photo6797.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6798.jpg
    photo6798.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6799.jpg
    photo6799.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6800.jpg
    photo6800.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6801.jpg
    photo6801.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6803.jpg
    photo6803.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6805.jpg
    photo6805.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6807.jpg
    photo6807.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6808.jpg
    photo6808.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo6811.jpg
    photo6811.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 0
Looks like a nice area for a spring shakedown run. Always feels get to stretch the legs and arms after a long winter.

Alan

Thanks for posting the report and pictures. Looks like a great spot. Is there a staging area to leave the car or is it a "park on the trail before it gets too bad" type of spot? I have never paddled this area! Looks to be next on the list! I have tried to access the lake from the other side 4x4ing but they had cut the trail right at the start and with 6' of water no way to cross with a vehicle :(

In the second photo you can juuuuust see the parking area where the gravel ends. However, I parked at the Maskwa Project @ 100 meters back down the road. I need to contact them and ask about parking. It's easy to launch from there, they even have a dock.
When you look on google earth there are @ 20 portages to get in to the lake but I am not sure how many have been cut out. That will be my next effort, to go in as far as I can and check/cut ports as I go. There looks to be a couple of major drops to negotiate in there.

Alan, yes it was a good season opener...and in April yet. We often dont get ice out until June.

I'm looking forward to your next fishing/port clearing foray into that area as much as I was eager to hear how this one went. Good stuff. Might some of the ports be cleared before your next trip?
I remember passing some of those black bogs people mistake for roads in rural Manitoba, and asking "Why don't we just take that shortcut?" My sis-i-l laughed and explained the deep black humousy soils and their quagmire qualities can add a month to your trip (till you find a farmer to pull your car out when it firms up) and a whole lotta laundry. Okay then, the long way round it is.
Don't anybody diss the mighty Buick. Old school luxury with plenty of room. Someone should write a song about it. Oh wait!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT9HmGhGa0Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzG0bq5SzUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0jpqF1uolk

Last edited:
Hello,

​Thanks for your report and I enjoyed seeing the pictures. Beautiful canoe and a good ole' car. You're very lucky to live near wilderness! For some reason, I especially like the fact that you Canadians can use feet and meters in the same sentence. :)

Cary

Those are some great pics of your little trip, a very beautiful spot and so different without summer foliage. I like this picture, Thanks for posting it.

fetch

Christine.
I hope you were looking at that mud road, After you had been through it !
I'd been hesitant to attempt that in a Buick !

Always great to get that First Spring paddle in ! Hope there are many more to come !

Jim

Ahhhh yes that is where forward progress ceased Jim. I did walk it a ways to be sure and it was quads only.Thats ok, keeps the riff raff out.

Yes Robin, that was my favourite spot of the whole day.

LOL@ Cary....yes, 100 feet over 300 meters....and a real Manitoban would have mentioned it was 15 minutes to the other end of the portage. We measure distance in time, like minutes or hours.

Christy

Back