• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cookware

Reaction score
Since stoves were covered, might as well see what everyone is using on top of them.

My favorite by far (so far) is the Optimus HE weekender.

I can nest a large iso/pro canister, a pocket rocket, and a pie tin lid (lid cut from a AL pie pan for big pot so I can drink coffee out of the "frying pan" AKA coffee cup while cooking)

With the pocket rocket I can take 2C water from spring temp to a hard boil in about 55 seconds

And what do you use?

Don't use stoves, and my cookware is random pots and utensils gathered over the years that do the job for us! Going on a 17 day Wind river trip in the Peel watershed at the end of the month with other people and my cooking kit will be the only one coming on the trip and will serve us perfectly!!

Some old GSI pot set.. And a bent aluminum set from the 70's plus a non stick fry pan.. I like to bake over a stove ( with remote canister). I use a stove as fire bans happen and also there is no wood on Maine Islands.. Mostly they are rock. And you have to have a fire below high tide line.. Making a fire at that level at high tide is interesting..

Mine is a solo kit.I have this small stainless steel pot and lid that locks shut with the folding handle. I stuff those two alum plates (BSA tag sale items) inside the pot with a cut down metal fork and spoon, scouring pad and liquid soap container.
I also carry a 10" cold handle frying pan. Excellent for frying up spam (called Klik in northern Ontario) or fresh caught walleye, also another fine food found in northern Ontario.

Folks who carry cold handle frying pans have developed a secret handshake, so I keep my frying pan on top of pack in case I met another brother or sister on a portage trail. I once met a man on the trail who saw my pan and knew the handshake. He had a strange resemblance to Calvin Rutstrum. We sat and shared some mornings bannock, had a smoke and he told me stories of western Ontario before the roads where put in. Never did get his name though.

hPWMcpRk5XxzFmFZY6CROmkiEahEDFXAlFOwJqGh3uLYGbByo3aTA_IIDzQYlBm4K0-2WPpxaTCIU2Fme28Zr5E1Rj8H8nxd67e_Y4DZucu36YgGkJSLUiY3b0tZcaCsaBAdv9LPoQ7o7Vs8uJpp1HHBYdSLkwSQJFaRdHp0PWqQW9fYhKWrAMYMzSDau_24rOZNhWzMJdJJaOjV6gncW-KdHmPNoOb8v60I-hUoZMeXCTZBme1DRoDzI1HKfSRRL4M9TRrjUxkBQHtvsX078SpYRwIcdNSOnOnUr7bbCwCLqdSx6vzU1byDi9hN-MYiSgGs71SGsCFidxyrVNld8L0TlGlDYoqderMYJDC6DbOBA3OhrC5hYDv6Vo72F5qbwZaQ4V4eJ3V3AHgXgtdmOq7K1jSuOWFIdyeOYW1aClyVm-Gp9VnD3voMfSPnToMm3iuXQADtC-4JxjmuBQr8cnrvST1SpJRrSEPf043_xWeCKq9qWWiH-2cTVyj3nT8qdhrGlXrssFpVLCh295ik2E1Q1ltlx9uU5Y7zgftCyMLfmDFrhqr1gdIRH-TwjNYrFc-Bugvm3ilRN2UPD4REUahY3xd6rWnCL87gdlBpD78PntVLMsU4oE0vlnSq-zweTUkdKrQ-cmOsCA8rlb2yO0FQGZzY4sU=w1010-h757-no

Two pots, one for heating water and one for use with food is what I usually bring. Am very happy with the GSI Halulite 1.8L tea kettle which has been a great upgrade from a basic pot for heating water for hot drinks and such. Have an assortment of stainless steel and aluminum cook pots, but haven't settled on any that seem "just right" for the cooking pot.

Depends, most of my trips are solo so 2 small stainless pots that nest together for use over the fire. when Bev comes with me we primarily base camp and the meals are a little more involved. I pack the 2 stainless pots and a Chinese knockoff of a GSI set I picked up on sale from Princess Auto for something like $20.00 and a 12" cast iron frying pan.

I have a 600ml and I think 1400ml titanium pots from Toaks. Light as all get out and is more than enough pot for me solo. I have larger GSI sets for family trips.

That is pretty much the works right there. A frying pan with a folding handle, MEC I think, and a pot from value village with the handle broken off. I have a pot gripper that I use to handle it. Couple of melmac plates and bowls, or just one each for solo, a utensil roll, and a blue enamel coffee pot. The stove stand is pretty Gucci but I like it a lot. No bending over to cook.

A lot of that stuff goes right inside the stove when I pack it up. Really handy.

Attachments

• photo11764.jpg
    photo11764.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11765.jpg
    photo11765.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo11766.jpg
    photo11766.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 0
Solo trips, or on what I think of as “solo with companion”, where we are each in our own canoe and take care of our own needs, I bring very little in the way of cookware. Jetboil stove, insulated coffee mug, insulated cup/bowl, long handled spoon.

Plastic butter knife for spreading peanut butter, so I don’t use my sheath knife, or gawd forbid gum up the rescue folder on the PFD. Not that I would ever thoughtlessly do such a thing. Repeatedly.

On “I’ll have a campfire” trips sometimes a Purcell Trench grill and billypot that fits the Jetboil, actually a retrofitted Bento lunch pail pot.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/forum/gear/camp-kitchen/58042-​pot-to-nestle-jet-boil-stove

On family trips we once took a 2-burner Coleman (actually a series of them, salt water kills them), and various pots, pans and implements, but nowadays it’s the Jetboil or, often, two going at once, with the Billy pot and Trench Grill for campfire use. And pie irons. There is a 20 year family competition about “Who can toast the most perfect pie iron pizza?”

Competition and debate. “Whadd ya mean? That is perfection, I wanted one side burned black”

And of course Reflectix coozies, still one of the handiest and easy to DIY of meal accessories, especially on off-season trips where the gruel grows cold faster than I can shovel it down.

Most necessary when rehydrating a freeze dry meal and eating it out of the pouch. “Let seep 10 – 12 minutes”, AKA “Let seep until barely tepid and then scarf it down fast before it is cold”

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...reflectix-cozies-and-nashua-flexfix-foil-tape

Also handy for actual cookware pots and pans, when taking a group meal off the stove or fire to set aside for serve yourself.

I still have a half roll of Reflectix. Some improved freeze dry meal coozies might be fun to make.

Back