• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Coffee in A Canoe

Is that a Coleman 50's era military stove?

This is how I do coffee in a canoe
hydro-flask-stainless-steel-vacuum-insulated-16-oz-wide-mouth-olive.jpg

Attachments

• hydro-flask-stainless-steel-vacuum-insulated-16-oz-wide-mouth-olive.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
  • hydro-flask-stainless-steel-vacuum-insulated-16-oz-wide-mouth-olive.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 0
Best coffee in a canoe burner is the good old coleman single burner. No gas to worry about and can be done right on the bottom of the canoe. Used to use this almost daily on 14 dat trips.
i8yifko.jpg

Me as well. I still have my Peak 1, in fact found it last summer full of fuel that had been sitting for at least 2 years. Old thing started right up. I still prefer the propane stove.

Have I come to the right place? Is this the Coleman Fanclub? In that case I used to have an old 2 burner white gas stove (or 2) (wish I had known there were parts available) but moved on to the propane model. She loves it she tells me. She also reminds me whenever I so much as mention the Peak 1 how much she hates that. Hate is such a strong word, but she does have a point. I'm not a big fan of the balancing act of tending a pot of stew/soup/porridge/coffee on top of a small burner on top of a fuel tank...which needs repressurising from time to time. When our daughter came by with her other half to borrow our gear for a trip last month she asked about stoves; given the fire ban this summer I was glad not to be in the uncomfortable position of lending my precious twig stove. So as I reached for the Peak 1 my wife reached for the 2 burner propane. Our eyes met, she smiled, I smiled, and our daughter took the propane model home. It would be pretty cool to cook in a canoe I suppose but I must confess never having had that experience. I'm growing fond of Thermos' for midlake pauses and picnics. Lightweight cheap plastic widemouth ones found in thrift shops work well for the stew/soup/porridge/coffee stop. But once a member of that Fanclub always a member. There'll always be a Coleman of some design on our gear shelf.
Cool photo Doug.

Last edited:
YC, what I have is a Peak 1 and I'll have to take some pics to prove it. What I have is nothing like what you post a link to. Should know I've owned it for over 20 years. Just saying.

That has become my go to as well Mem.

Same here! I mount those same burners to my wannigan and presto! Two burner kitchen setup.

Doug, i have never actually cooked anything in the canoe, my usual luck for canoe trips either means lots of rain, or high winds!

Jason

but that is not a Peak 1.. I still have one of those in the shed. I found one for sale on ebay https://www.ebay.com/i/202425045481?chn=ps

Mem has a Coleman Bottletop burner. Got one of those too. Very handy and does not raise TSA ire as my Sierra Zip did. Those bottles are available everywhere.

I have the same peak 1 with the burner attached to the top of the tank. (Says Peak 1 in red letters on the stove) I purchased it mid 90's and made lots of coffee and shave water from the back of a HMMWV with it while out in the field

Jason

I'm gonna say that "peak 1" was not a stove model but a line of gear. They put that on everything ...packs, stoves, lanterns, cook sets, etc. I personally have owned or still own 2 different stoves and a mini lantern that are "peak 1"
Jason

Eta: I think I still have an old frame pack that says peak 1 on it

A "Peak 1" started out as a white gas model but now it looks like that Peak 1 line includes a dual fuel butane / propane model as well.

I like the looks of the Sierra Zip Stove YC. Nice design feature lifting the firebox off the ground. Wonder how stable the platform is? Small box though. A constant feed might be required to keep it going, especially with the fan operating. I am not too keen on gadgetry, and this wired woody looks like a gadget, but one which appears to work. My initial move to a twig stove was meant to simplify things, but even streamlining the simple can get caught up in complications.

Last edited:
Back